PDA

View Full Version : did not mice words

AgilisMerlin
01-06-2012, 12:45 PM
:D

http://go.nettavisen.no/go/e/topphoyre_topplitebilde;siteId=191/http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwww.procycling.%2Bno%26hl%3Den%26rlz% 3D1C1ECDB_enUS465US465%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&u=http://www.procycling.no/article3304794.ece&usg=ALkJrhif9NeZ0JqvHZxYqaV8b74tEh0f0g

harlond
01-06-2012, 02:02 PM
McQuaid is enough of a @#%$ to make sure she's punished for pointing out what everyone already knows.

thinpin
01-06-2012, 03:16 PM
McQuaid is enough of a @#%$ to make sure she's punished for pointing out what everyone already knows.
+1

Chance
01-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Mince words? No. Not when you call someone in a position of power a dick.

Right or wrong it's stupid to speak that way. It does more harm than good. She could have said the same in a more respectful manner.

On the other hand it wouldn't have gotten as much attention. :crap:

thinpin
01-06-2012, 03:32 PM
I suspect she was still stoked on adrenaline following her win. She is only 21 with some spirit. Professionalism is learned. She'll get there.

AgilisMerlin
01-06-2012, 03:35 PM
yes, mince.

strange story

oldpotatoe
01-07-2012, 07:52 AM
:D

http://go.nettavisen.no/go/e/topphoyre_topplitebilde;siteId=191/http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwww.procycling.%2Bno%26hl%3Den%26rlz% 3D1C1ECDB_enUS465US465%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&u=http://www.procycling.no/article3304794.ece&usg=ALkJrhif9NeZ0JqvHZxYqaV8b74tEh0f0g

Other mice words.

All this is only for the mice and myself to admire!
Catherine the Great

Always expect the unexpected. Right around Thanksgiving, when the new Alex Cross will be out. It's called Four Blind Mice and it's a pretty amazing story about several murders inside the military.
James Patterson

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/mice.html#ixzz1imRPHDr0

Elefantino
01-07-2012, 07:55 AM
"Female cyclist with power ointment in the direction of cycling president"

I'm not even sure what to say about that. :eek:

godfrey1112000
01-07-2012, 08:06 AM
"Female cyclist with power ointment in the direction of cycling president"

I'm not even sure what to say about that. :eek:

Really, I did not even know what it meant
a substitute for Bag Balm

Cold weather give us so much time to have fun

1centaur
01-07-2012, 08:16 AM
McQuaid may be what she said, but not because he resists minimum wage levels for female cyclists. Athletes do not get paid for how hard they work, a simple truth that is often overlooked by those with their hands out. Athletes get paid for the value they create, whether at the gate, in TV revenues, in peripheral related revenues or in publicity for advertisers. After that value is created, then everybody can fight about how to divvy up the spoils. But if the argument is, "the guys get paid and we work as hard as they do," then it fails.

Climb01742
01-07-2012, 08:38 AM
1centaur is right, that the money an athlete earns comes from the value the athlete creates. but where i think most female athletes have a good argument is whether the governing bodies of their sports create an environment that fosters that value for women. the UCI, whether for men or women, has a history of rearward-looking, reactive, status quo thinking. i'd bet that both men and women cyclists would, in the majority, say that over the years the UCI has been d*cks, and have not really done much to create an environment where any cyclist can maximize their value.

in comparison, women's soccer has been encouraged. women's track and field has been encouraged. women's basketball has been encouraged. of course, in none of those sports do women athletes earn what men do, but the environments have been created that at least give women a better shot at earning a living. the UCI has done little, that i'm aware of, to help women have access to opportunities to increase their value.

1centaur
01-07-2012, 11:30 AM
That could well be true. It begs the question of whether female cyclists need the UCI in order to advance the economics of their sport, since perhaps the UCI is not very interested in that control. Dispassionately, I'm guessing the women at this point need the umbrella of interest that men's cycling creates just to get any appreciable viewership or fans lining the roads or road closures, though even that is shaky given the economic troubles of top men's teams (it borders on a hobby sport for men's sponsors, IMO). Much like the WNBA, women's cycling suffers from physical differences that are the key elements of the sport - in this case speed and strength/endurance. If nothing is brought to the table that makes women's cycling independently enjoyable, it becomes junior cycling, second division, and at that point you're just attracting friends and family and sisterhood, which does not pay that well. I presume the WNBA will lose its network TV exposure for the same reason, though I could be wrong.

Women's soccer, while marginal economically except re: US Olympics and World Cup, has its own feel because soccer has a thinking and creative element that's not just about physicality. Women's track and field is 100% as enjoyable as men's even though technically it's a speed and strength junior league as well. Maybe because the drama is each person against herself and you can see more of her than you can a cyclist in a helmet and sunglasses, which in turn makes for a greater ability to create personal recognition. The Evelyn Stevens story did that for women's cycling to some extent. If I were involved in making women's cycling economically viable, I'd work on creating vibrant personas and back stories that would attract viewers during the Olympics and then have immediate follow-up races on TV to cement the emotional relationship. Fans are looking for people to admire and then root for, and if they can't be rooted for as the best athletes in their sport they need to be rooted for as great athletes with a great back story.

BTW, social media should be used to push women's cycling, since TV network types and other advertisers seem to think social media are where it's at. If there's an audience for women's cycling, find it on Facebook and Twitter and start pounding the message.

Climb01742
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Fans are looking for people to admire and then root for, and if they can't be rooted for as the best athletes in their sport they need to be rooted for as great athletes with a great back story.

this is the key, i think. sports are ultimately about stories (heck, life is about stories; businesses are about stories.) that was the genius of when ABC first started doing the 'up close and personal' stories during the olympics many years ago.

major sports have media like ESPN telling the stories of athletes 24/7. more obscure sports need to tell those stories themselves, or at least have strategies and materials in place to make it easier for media outlets to, with little effort, tell the stories.

another great example is the broadcast of the ironman on NBC every year. what gives that broadcast its resonance are the many back stories of average athletes trying to do something extraordinary.

the human mind, and heart, are wired to respond to narratives.

Chance
01-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Women in tennis have done fairly well for a long time. Not sure female cyclists can “force” equality.

The main difference from my perspective is that typical women are as interested in playing tennis (and thus also watching) as men are, while cycling doesn’t attract as much female interest by comparison. Same applies to many other sports where women just don’t seem to be all that interested.