PDA

View Full Version : found out - removing lettering from ENVE fork

eddief
01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
got a matte black fork with ENVE in white lettering. don't know if the white is paint or decals or what. might prefer plain black to that big ENVE logo (even though i like their logo). anyone have specific experience with removing the white stuff?

eddief
01-06-2012, 03:56 PM
said in a brief email. it is a decal and it can be removed with acetone and sandpaper. if you start to get black dust, you went too far.

azrider
01-06-2012, 03:57 PM
doood.......not worth it......just leave it.

eddief
01-06-2012, 05:43 PM
i agree. go with the flow.

=azrider]doood.......not worth it......just leave it.[/QUOTE]

thegunner
01-06-2012, 05:54 PM
doood.......not worth it......just leave it.

plus... enve is bling. it's not like you're riding a huffy and trying to hide the fact :p

eddief
01-06-2012, 05:56 PM
slightly more subdoood.

plus... enve is bling. it's not like you're riding a huffy and trying to hide the fact :p

DRietz
01-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah, that's how this stuff goes - lots of wet sanding.

It's how I got the "Record" and clear off my lever blades.

Of course, those are a little less structural than a fork, but as long as you're careful you'll be good to go.

I mean, after all, you can file the lawyer lips off those forks without issue.

tiretrax
01-06-2012, 06:24 PM
slightly more subdoood.
subdude?

azrider
01-06-2012, 06:27 PM
subdude?

subdewd

eddief
01-06-2012, 06:33 PM
suggests these are decals and not paint. so while he suggested sandpaper, i am thinking the decals would probably start to disintegrate by using acetone and cloth. i'd be afraid to take sandpaper to a new fork.

Yeah, that's how this stuff goes - lots of wet sanding.

It's how I got the "Record" and clear off my lever blades.

Of course, those are a little less structural than a fork, but as long as you're careful you'll be good to go.

I mean, after all, you can file the lawyer lips off those forks without issue.

cat6
01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I too just picked up an Enve fork. First off its so light I'm almost scared to ride on it. Second off I too prefer subdewoood bling. I was thinking about riding it as is for a few and eventually taking a sharpie or something similar to the sticker. Black on black, logo would exist but not scream. Just a thought.

tiretrax
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
The sharpie won't give you even coverage. I think ENVE sells black stickers. Why not slap one on top? If they don't, get a sheet of black vinyl with an adhesive backing and cut to size for each letter.

10-4
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Find a painter who will do it. You'll be much happier with it in the long run. Or you can Carbo-Lift it (http://www.carbolift.com/)

Jack Brunk
01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
You can order the fork nude if you so chose.

DRietz
01-06-2012, 08:12 PM
suggests these are decals and not paint. so while he suggested sandpaper, i am thinking the decals would probably start to disintegrate by using acetone and cloth. i'd be afraid to take sandpaper to a new fork.

He probably suggested sandpaper because the decal is under a coat of some sort. At least that's what I thought the last time I held an Enve fork.

I'm receiving one from a member here that was painted blue, sanding it down to the gel coat and then treating it with a UV protectant, or maybe getting it cleared.

Louis
01-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I think ENVE sells black stickers. Why not slap one on top?

Too much weight.

tuscanyswe
01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I took some decals off from an easton sl fork (lots of decals..) with some fine paper. The easton decals were somehow in the
carbon so just getting the clear of wasent enough on this fork, had to sand some carbon too.

Then some clearcoat. Looks great but quite alot of work atleast with the fine paper i had.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2707/4406113527_a9459c99fc_z.jpg

DRietz
01-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Start with a coarser grade - like 300 or 500 to take off material in a jiff.

Get finer as you get to primer, or deep into that first layer.

wallymann
01-06-2012, 08:56 PM
I removed the entire clear and paint exterior from a colnago star cf fork last fall, spread out over 2 days. Used a few grades of sandpaper and alot of elbow grease and patience. My rotator cuff muscles weren't ready for that and my shoulders were seriously jacked up for a couple months!