PDA

View Full Version : Campy 8 spd/9 spd interchangeability

Jaq
01-05-2012, 09:22 PM
From what I've read, using an 8 speed Record rear derailleur with a 9 speed cassette/hub could be done, but wasn't ideal because of the geometry of the jockey cage.

What I'm wondering is if the opposite is true; can a 9-speed Record derailleur be used with an 8-speed (1995) Record cassette/hub?

oldpotatoe
01-06-2012, 07:32 AM
From what I've read, using an 8 speed Record rear derailleur with a 9 speed cassette/hub could be done, but wasn't ideal because of the geometry of the jockey cage.

What I'm wondering is if the opposite is true; can a 9-speed Record derailleur be used with an 8-speed (1995) Record cassette/hub?

Yes, even 10s rear ders can be back fitted to older ERHO shifting systems w/o modification or problem. I use todays Campagnolo rear ders as replacement rear ders on all Campagnolo shifting systems, all the way back to 8s DT shifters, they work great.

Jaq
01-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Really? I can toss a 10-spd r/d back there? Most excellent. I've been anxious to move the gruppo into the new millennium, but doing it all at once is a bit pricey at the moment.

On a related note, were I to use the 10 spd, I'm assuming I should use a 10-spd chain for the tolerences in the jockey cage, or is a 9 spd chain a happy medium between an 8-spd cassette and a 10 spd r/d?

Thanks!