PDA

View Full Version : comfort: mtb vs. road

steve v
08-09-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm looking to get a new bike and I've always been a fan of lugged steel frames. My question is, what would be more comfortable as far as a bike to put some real miles on ? I have several mountain bikes and I'm debating whether to get another with an appropriate build for mostly road riding or something like a cross bike. As I said, it would be mostly roads with the occassional fire road/trail thrown in. I haven't ridden a road bike in years so I really appreciate any suggestions. The idea of a CSi cross bike makes me happy :)

dirtdigger88
08-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Oh oh oh I can answer this one

Kirk MRB

http://www.kirkframeworks.com/

you all knew where I was going with that one

lobb me a softball and I will crank it out of the part

Jason

ada@prorider.or
08-09-2005, 02:40 PM
well this is always personal
i have 5 competing bike's
steel titaan cross bike trekking alu and steel mountain bike time trail race bike cross bike

if i want a comfortble ride i always choose my old
slx zieleman bike
i have titaan eddy merck race bike and steel time trail bike

and alu mountain bike

what i want to say all bike are build exact size size except time trail bike

want i want to say always one bike fits you the best
cannot say what it is and it stays personal

at pro's you also see that they always like one bike the best

i think it depands how many mile you ride on the bike and how its suits you

i think you feel not much differance if you ride small mile's

then it always gone be hard ,then a full supension bike would be better and more comfort but i must not think about riding 20 .000 miles a year on it

any way hope you enjou what you choose

93legendti
08-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm looking to get a new bike and I've always been a fan of lugged steel frames. My question is, what would be more comfortable as far as a bike to put some real miles on ? I have several mountain bikes and I'm debating whether to get another with an appropriate build for mostly road riding or something like a cross bike. As I said, it would be mostly roads with the occassional fire road/trail thrown in. I haven't ridden a road bike in years so I really appreciate any suggestions. The idea of a CSi cross bike makes me happy :)

Yes, you can get a CSi as a cross bike: http://www.serotta.com/pages/csi.html

Until I got my Serotta HC road bike, I would put road tires on my Serotta HC Cross and ride it very comfortably on the road. Check Serotta's Demo and Deals links for a cross or HC model. That's how I bought my Ottrott for a great price:

champlemon
Hmmm... Here you will get as many opinions as there are members in this board... I used to commute to work and I tried both alternatives. I rode a Raleigh unsuspended MTB with inverted tread tires and I also set up an old Falcon road bike... The road bike gave ME more hand positions with its drop bar, faster speed due to the high pressure tires, I felt more agile in the road bike. Again... if MTBing is your thing... you may want to try putting slicks on a MTB and maybe a flat bar with attachments or maybe even get a road bar that fits the MTB's stem. IMHO: Trial and error is the key my cycling breathren...

sg8357
[QUOTE=steve(snip) I haven't ridden a road bike in years so I really appreciate any suggestions. The idea of a CSi cross bike makes me happy :)[/QUOTE]

How about a fat tired road bike ?
Not a crosser but a CSI built for say 35mm tire clearance but otherwise
a normal CSI. You can get to 32mm tires with Shimano long reach brakes.
35mm tires would mean cantilevers or Paul's Racer brakes (a silent mafac
copy). Sort of Peugeot PX-10 but with much nicer workmanship.
If you are going to stick with fat tires finding a copy of the Vintage Bicycle
Quarterly that talks about the handling and geometry of fat tired bikes
would be worthwhile. ( I am not a framebuilder, nor do I play one on FOX News ) E-Richie or DBRK could talk about fat tires effects on steering.

Scott G.

FunkyPorcini
08-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Steve,

How much are you willing to spend? If you are able I would suggest talking to a custom builder (face-to-face if possible) and telling them exactly what you are thinking of. They will most likely ask you more questions until the two of you hone it in. Then it will be built just the way you want it but, beware, if you have not put many miles on different bikes you may not be ready to settle on only one and find that your money could have been spent more wisely.

Anyhow, that is my approach. ymmv.

steve v
08-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the ideas thus far. I do have access to many nice bicycles besides my own so I think more test riding is in order. Btw, check out these pics. Sweet !!!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5953&highlight=cyclocross

vaxn8r
08-09-2005, 03:28 PM
To me comfort would be defined first by fit, second by tire width and choice, third by wheel choice, fourth by bike/frame build

Having said that you might want to take a look at these http://www.cyclestournesol.com/ But Serotta and any number of other custom builders can build exactly what you 'd like.

Ken Robb
08-09-2005, 03:42 PM
if you can find a Bridgestone MB1, MB2, or MB3 from late 1980s through 1994 you may be pleasantly surprised at what good dual purpose bikes they can be with 26x1.5" Avocet Cross tires. They had muh quicker handling than other mtn. bikes of that era.