PDA

View Full Version : Help me re-build my 'cross bike for D2R2

merlinmurph
01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Man, for whatever reason, I had a hard time posting this - kept getting server errors. Let's see if it works......

I bought a used IF Planet-X a few months ago so I could ride D2R2 this year. Really love the bike, but I need to change the gearing if I'm going to survive this ride. Currently, it has an FSA 46/36 crank with a Shimano 10-spd 12/27 cassette, DA shifters, 105 RD (short).

I'm considering putting a triple crank on to get the gearing I want/need. I'd like get at least 1:1, preferably lower. These 57-year-old legs still like to climb, they just don't do it like they used to.

I have two basic options: Stick with the Shimano or change to Campy (which I'd prefer).

I originally thought sticking with Shimano would have been simple, then I realized I'd have to change everything except the wheels. Oops.

So, looking at the two options:

Shimano
Are the mt bike compoonents compatible with the road shifters? If so, that gives me a lot more options. I could use mt bike cassettes that go up to 36T and an XT long-cage RD. Would that work?
What about a crank? How small a ring can one put on a Shimano road triple crank?

Campy
I'm leaning towards using Campy if I can, as I'm a longtime Campy user. It would mean getting new wheels, adding to the expense - oh well.
I'm not real familiar with my Campy options. I've seen one triple crank (Comp?) and don't know what the smallest ring is(30?). The largest cassette cog I've seen is a 29T, and I it looks like I can get a long-cage RD.
Are there other options available that work with Campy to get the gearing low enough?

Any help getting some low gearing?

Thanks,
Murph

merlinmurph
01-05-2012, 08:14 AM
So, wassup?
My other post has no pictures, no links, nothing fancy - just text.
I'll keep trying.
Murph

AngryScientist
01-05-2012, 08:16 AM
this one was obviously successful. just edit this first post/title with what you want to ask...

merlinmurph
01-05-2012, 08:28 AM
this one was obviously successful. just edit this first post/title with what you want to ask...

Hey AS,
Thanks, got that to work. No idea what was going on.

So, back to the subject at hand......

Murph

AngryScientist
01-05-2012, 08:34 AM
swap the inner ring for a 34, get a long cage 9-sp mtb shimano RD and wider range cassette. done! sram has 12-32, that should get you pretty close to 1:1...

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/sram-pg1070-11-cassette-med.jpg?w=350

AngryScientist
01-05-2012, 08:35 AM
by the way, i think i'm going to throw my hat in the ring and do it too, which course are you going for?

AngryScientist
01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
edit: they have a 10-sp 12-36 too! better than 1:1 !

http://www.rei.com/product/751037/sram-pg-1070-10-speed-cassette?preferredSku=7510370070?cm_mmc&mr:trackingCode=D3229AA3-0019-E011-8E88-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

4Rings6Stars
01-05-2012, 09:58 AM
I did it the last two years (last year on a Planet X) with a 30 small ring in the front and a 12-27. That was fine. I was very happy to have the bailout 30 though.

Shimano mountain bike components are compatible with road and I would suggest that route but if you're a Campy guy go Campy. I've converted all but one of mine to Campy and there is no turning back.

Also, last year somebody riding Campy had some problems (I think crank or cassette) and none of the mechanics had any Campy experience and he was cursing so if you don't do any of you're own wrenching it can be a pain.

xjahx
01-05-2012, 10:13 AM
SRAM road shifters, road crank (with whatever rings you want), and an XX, X.0, or X.9 rear 10 speed rear dérailleur and matching 10 speed cassette with a range up to 11-36t. Done.

TimD
01-05-2012, 10:16 AM
I rode D2R2 for the first time this year, the 115K course.

My bike had a 50/34 (compact road) crank and a 34/12? cassette. There were spots where I wanted lower gearing.

One of my crew had a mountain triple with 22T small ring and a 32T cassette; he was pretty happy with that.

ergott
01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
The gearing answers will vary according to the fitness of the rider give them. I did the 115k with a 38/28 low gear. A lower gear would have just made me slower. My thought is sometimes the hills are steep enough that you just have to grind it out. I'd rather grind out a higher gear and be done with it.

Ti Designs
01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't work on bikes, I work on riders. That said, you're local, we should do some training out on the trails...

Climb01742
01-05-2012, 10:31 AM
one thing to keep in mind: a triple will change the Q factor. will your knees/hips like that?

merlinmurph
01-05-2012, 12:17 PM
one thing to keep in mind: a triple will change the Q factor. will your knees/hips like that?

I've been mt biking for 20+ years and have never had an issue. As long as I get the bike set up right (that's you, Ed), I should be fine.

Murph

merlinmurph
01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
The gearing answers will vary according to the fitness of the rider.
Yeah, it's a tough question to answer if you don't know the rider, where they ride, how they ride, etc. I'll try to help on that.

I'll be 58 for the '12 D2R2 and I definitely don't ride like I did 20 years ago. Never did road races, did some mt bike races years ago and had fun, results weren't important, which is just as well because there were no results. :) I've always liked to climb, and like to head to NH or VT to do some rides with tougher climbs - VT gaps, Kanc, etc. I end up with > 4000 miles/year.

Probably the biggest difference between now and 10 years ago is that I don't beat the crap out of myself as much, which means the avg speed has <ahem> gone down quite a bit. My daily 25-30 mile rides average at ~16.5, higher if I ride with a bud who is much stronger. Longer, hilly rides (like a 80-mile Mt Wachusett loop) are ending up < 16 now.

D2R2 (115k) is going to be a tough ride for me, but I'll get in good shape for it and enjoy the ride. I like to have an event to train for, and this will be good motivation.

Hope this helps.
Murph

that guy
01-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I've run Shimergo setups with no problem for years.

Campy shifters (10 or 11 speed)

Any crank you want

Any FD you want

Shimano 9speed rear mtn derailleur

Shimano 8 or 9 speed mtn cassette

Goes down to 1:1 with ease.

PM me if you want more details of my setup.

khjr
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
swap the inner ring for a 34, get a long cage 9-sp mtb shimano RD and wider range cassette. done! sram has 12-32, that should get you pretty close to 1:1...

This seems like a practical approach for an event specific modification, especially given the common availability of the 9 spd rear derailleurs on eBay. Cost = rear derailleur, cassette, chainring, chain (old chain may skip on new cassette). As your front derailleur spans the broader range between rings your front shifts may become a little more violent. You can use a "third eye" chainwatcher to prevent dropping the chain if you need to - I can lend you mine if need be.

As you know, I'm an advocate of triple cranks for everything (the only thing you sacrifice is vanity) . There, your cost would be bottom bracket, crank, front derailleur (to match the small mountain rings), and potentially a rear derailleur to address the range (although I've used short cage Records on a triple without any problems). The cost is a little higher, but you'll likely get better shifts in front.

When are you coming skiing? Despite the plague, conditions were actually workable today.

merlinmurph
01-10-2012, 08:04 PM

Sorry, I've been away and wanted to get back to this.

I want to go the cheap and easy way first by putting a big mtb 36T cassette on and see how it feels. Gets me to 1:1 pretty easy.

But, let me get this straight: 10-sp shifters, 10-sp mtb cassette - 9-sp XT RD????

Is that right? 9-sp XT RD?

Murph

AngryScientist
01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Sorry, I've been away and wanted to get back to this.

I want to go the cheap and easy way first by putting a big mtb 36T cassette on and see how it feels. Gets me to 1:1 pretty easy.

But, let me get this straight: 10-sp shifters, 10-sp mtb cassette - 9-sp XT RD????

Is that right? 9-sp XT RD?

Murph

Yup

vqdriver
01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
if it's like it used to be, the rd doesn't have a "speed" so a 9sp rd would work fine. heck, you could even run an 8sp xt rd.

ironically, my understanding is that what you CAN'T use is the xt 10sp derailleur. apparently the dynasys stuff has a different cable pull ratio.

merlinmurph
01-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Cool, thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.
Murph