PDA

View Full Version : Winter riding shoes/boots

gearguywb
01-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Looking for some winter cycling shoes (road). Feet are freezing lately!

Need something that is fairly wide (I use either Sidi Mega or Specialized). Any recommendations?

AngryScientist
01-05-2012, 08:18 AM
what temperature range are we talking about?

right now i'm just using a pair of mostly leather (little ventilation) road shoes with heavy neoprene covers. they are keeping my feet surprisingly warm into the low 30's for 4 hour rides. this is a first for me, apparently these are the best shoe covers i've used.

gearguywb
01-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Monday for example was 22* with a cruel north wind. After about an hour and a half my feet were very uncomfortable.

I am using Specialized S-Works shoes (love 'em!) with Gore covers. They are fine down to the mid 30 range...after that, not so much. Really want to be able to get some longer rides in as well while the roads are clear.

AngryScientist
01-05-2012, 08:24 AM
in that case, my experience is useless. i wont ride much below the freezing point of water...

i have, however heard very good things about Lake winter shoes/boots...

veloduffer
01-05-2012, 08:30 AM
I use the Lake MXZ302 winter boots/shoes, which are mtb though, with only one pair of thin wool socks. They are good for anything below freezing and available in wide sizes, which are larger than Sidi Mega.

Northwave makes a winter road shoe, but I don't know how well it performs. You could buy one of them and get a half to one size larger to accommodate thicker/more socks, and then add a bootie.

Or you can try to add those hand warmer packs to your socks. I used those handwarmers alot when I play golf in the winter.

gdw
01-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Lakes are exceptional cold weather shoes but hard to find this year because their distributor went under. Northwave Celsius and Celsius Arctic shoes get good reviews and are worth checking out.

TeamSwami.com
01-05-2012, 08:57 AM
I've used the Specy Defrosters (road) down in to the upper 30's and they were fairly effective. My feet are always could when riding so results may vary and they could be warmer to others. The 300 series Lakes are really big and heavy. I have a pair for MTB and I feel like I'm wearing Frankenstein's boots! What size are you?

benb
01-05-2012, 09:08 AM
If you get the right neoprene covers you should be fine with those down into the teens over your normal summer shoes..

If your feet are still getting cold at that point you probably need to do more to keep your core warm. Other things to look for being shoes too small, wrong socks, etc.. your feet need room to breathe to stay warm.

Even MTBing in the snow and getting my feet wet I have never needed a special pair of shoes.

Now getting the right covers is a PITA.. most of them are just "aero" covers. You need real ones.. 1/4" thick that go up your shin like a boot.

My current road shoes have a vent on the bottom.. that would need to be covered up too in real cold weather... but I think my full on winter covers do block that up.

MasterOMayhem
01-05-2012, 09:09 AM
try to find the lakes... they are out there.

Lionel
01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I have the Lake. They are ultra hot and only usable below freezing.

DRZRM
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
+1 on the Lake MXZ 302

It is the MTB version, but, if you ever need to walk through a snowy or icy bit, you'll be happy for the tread. They make a road version, but it may be hard to find. I usually ride my CX bike with road wheels in the winter, which already has Eggbeaters on it, but if I wanted to take out my road bike, I'd switch pedals. I can only imagine a Speedplay road pedal packed up with snow.

They seem to be in stock in wide sizes here.

Lake MXZ 302 at Modern Bike (http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126175746&TID=367)

Lickbike (http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.php?PART_NUM_SUB='2970-09') Has a few of the road version (CXZ302)on sale too. So did nashbar.

Lionel
01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Yep, I have the road version of these. If you decide to get them be prepared for the "tank", they are bulky and heavy but ultra warm. Last year I wore them twice.

gearguywb
01-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks Guys! Seems like the Lake's have a good following. I also searched on Ebay and there seems to be a couple of different options out there.

Nooch
01-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I have both the lakes and these covers: http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/men/ride/accessories/2.-productCode-14381105.html

The pearl covers have so far made my lake's unneccessary. While I love them, they're awfully heavy, so if it's a spirited ride I'm after, I'm much more likely to use the shoe cover combo. The pearl covers that i've posted have been good sub 30 degrees so far, really really well built.

that guy
01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Lake shoes seemed to have vanished off the market in the past year.

I have a pair of the new Mavic Drift boots and they are as warm as can be. I've had 'em down in the 20's so far with no problem. There is a road version too.

http://mtb.mavic.com/sites/default/files/products/normal/300006.jpg

DRZRM
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Ah crap, now you've gone and made me buy more cycling gear. The Lakes are awesome in truly foul weather, but for 30s and sunny (like today in New England) they are overkill. Decent price from Amazon.

I have both the lakes and these covers: http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/men/ride/accessories/2.-productCode-14381105.html

The pearl covers have so far made my lake's unneccessary. While I love them, they're awfully heavy, so if it's a spirited ride I'm after, I'm much more likely to use the shoe cover combo. The pearl covers that i've posted have been good sub 30 degrees so far, really really well built.

fatallightning
01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
i've spent some time in the LG glacier rd, and they're suprisingly warm considering they're not especially bulky. a little fiddly to get on because they're almost like a lace shoe with a built in cover. so far we've been blessed in ny to only have had a few below freezing days, so i can't testify to effectiveness down that low though. $180 or so.
http://www.louisgarneau.com/in-en/product/0/1487131/_/

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/productimages/LGGLAPART.jpg

http://www.louisgarneau.com/img/tec_s_glacier_innershoe_large.jpg

Willy
01-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I bought a pair of Sidi's Hydro winter boots this year - getting older and more picky. They fit well and are very light and waterproof with their gore-tex lining but for low temperature cycling - I would recomend looking elsewhere. Disapointed on how cold my feet get after a while on the bike.

beercan
01-05-2012, 08:20 PM
do people size up for their winter shoes to compensate for maaybe a thicker sock? or do the manufacturers assume that?

xjoex
01-05-2012, 08:21 PM
I like the Shimano Winter shoes. I wear them down to the 20s. When it gets below that I pair them with Side Trak Neoprene booties.

What really helps me is warming the shoes up aas much as possible before riding. I leave my shoes by the heat vent right before I leave so I don't lose valuable foot heat heating up a cold shoe.

I get cold feet, its my curse...

-Joe

that guy
01-06-2012, 12:06 AM
do people size up for their winter shoes to compensate for maaybe a thicker sock? or do the manufacturers assume that?

Some do some don't. Like any shoe you really need to try it on. Sidi says they allow for extra room, but I haven't tried their winter shoes. I had to go up two full sizes on the Mavic's to get the width and toe room I needed for heavy winter socks.

rice rocket
01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
I like the Shimano Winter shoes. I wear them down to the 20s. When it gets below that I pair them with Side Trak Neoprene booties.

What really helps me is warming the shoes up aas much as possible before riding. I leave my shoes by the heat vent right before I leave so I don't lose valuable foot heat heating up a cold shoe.

I get cold feet, its my curse...

-Joe

Joe, how is sizing on those? Did you size up to fit thicker socks?

Also, who locally (in Pgh) is a Shimano shoe dealer?

jonnyBgood
01-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Some do some don't. Like any shoe you really need to try it on. Sidi says they allow for extra room, but I haven't tried their winter shoes. I had to go up two full sizes on the Mavic's to get the width and toe room I needed for heavy winter socks.

I would visit your local shops and bring some thicker winter socks or whatever socks you plan to ride in and try on as many as you can.

I have a pair of the Specialized Defrosters and they are toasty even with thinner socks.

Pearl Izumi made a Barrier GTX shoe that was pretty cool but I think they are no longer made. Shimano has a new winter shoe the WM81 but it looks pretty bulky. You could search online and find a number of different shoes but I would tell you to try on as many as you can.

Hank Scorpio
01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
I have the Shimano MW-80 and I am not impressed at all. They are cold and I need to couple them with sidetrak booties to endure most rides longer than 2 hours @ 30.

I also have the Pearl barrier mtb covers and they really suck. I went back to my cheapie sidetraks which are much warmer.

GregL
01-07-2012, 06:23 PM
I've been using Specialized Defrosters this winter and have been pleased thus far. I use the MTB version since my cyclocross bike (with a set of fenders) is my primary sloppy weather bike. The Defrosters are well constructed, adequately stiff in the sole, have a large toe box, and are pretty waterproof. With just a thin wool sock, they are adequate down to about 40 degrees. With a thicker sock or a sock liner, they work well down into the 20's. They are a great improvement over the booties I have used in the past. Not only are they warmer than booties, they also don't rub on the crank arms like booties over cycling shoes.

-Greg

rice rocket
01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Damn, I take my summer shoes w/ a wool sock down to 40 degrees...

nannon
01-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Northwave or specialized best bang for buck

thendenjeck
01-14-2012, 08:52 PM
http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhcuxuvHVy1qh3fbdo1_500.jpg&sa=X&ei=bj4ST8-_I4Lc0QHMi_iEAw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGg9bG2zf_oyGwO3MwB0DfFoijSPA

really need to figure this out. it's been 6-10 degrees for my morning commute lately, and my toes are literally in pain halfway to work (wearing LL bean boots with platforms). reluctant to spend $275 on the lakes for only a month or two of usefulness... was hoping there was some "normal" mtb shoe/cover combo that would work

rice rocket
01-14-2012, 08:58 PM
really need to figure this out. it's been 6-10 degrees for my morning commute lately, and my toes are literally in pain halfway to work (wearing LL bean boots with platforms). reluctant to spend $275 on the lakes for only a month or two of usefulness... was hoping there was some "normal" mtb shoe/cover combo that would work

You might be a candidate for the vapor barrier method. In short, plastic bag your sock, and be prepared for sogginess when you arrive (i.e. bring an extra pair of socks).

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101089

thendenjeck
01-15-2012, 12:16 PM
sounds smelly ;)

pitonpat
01-15-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm an ice climber as well as a biker, so cold feet is a " normal" condition for winter riding. Avoiding cold feet is achieved by combining several things.....proper diet, non- tight shoes, high wool content socks among others. Among climbers, a significant amount of suffering seems to enhance the experience.....go figure!

verticaldoug
01-15-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm an ice climber as well as a biker, so cold feet is a " normal" condition for winter riding. Avoiding cold feet is achieved by combining several things.....proper diet, non- tight shoes, high wool content socks among others. Among climbers, a significant amount of suffering seems to enhance the experience.....go figure!

Let's not forget cold hands and screaming barfies.

PaMtbRider
01-15-2012, 08:28 PM
The Lakes are hard to beat. I have a pair of the mxz301 mtb version. I've used them on the road bike in the teens with a good wool sock and have been comfy. As others have said, they are heavy, but so am I this time of year.

xodus
01-16-2012, 07:42 AM
I use Sidi's Hydro GTX winter shoes with a Assos sock liner and wool socks. I've been out for a couple of hour's in 11 degree weather, with a wind chill of -0. The shoes have Gore-tex and have kept my feet warm & toasty.

bikemoore
01-16-2012, 12:42 PM
To those of you recommending booties /shoe covers over regular shoes....just stop. They suck....period. Winter shoes are, by far, the way to go. I struggled for years to find booties that I liked and never succeeded. They were a pain to put on over my size 48 shoes, the cleat cut-outs never lined up, I wore out the heels with a just little bit of concrete walking in short order, the zippers failed, they made my feet sweat, they rub the crank arms on every revolution, and they look goofy as hell. Then I found some Sidi winter road boots on sale. After one ride, I threw away every bootie I had and have never even considered going back to using them. Get cold weather shoes...you won't regret it.

bigman
01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
I have used Northwave Farenheights, very comfortable and warm. I recently bought a pair of Lake all weather shoes, even more comfortable although not advertised as winter shoes they are pretty good down to about 40, with a chemical toe warmer I used these over the weekend in the low thirties for about 3 hours, my feet felt like they were in the Bahamas. The Lakes were on closeout at Nashbar for about 80 bucks.

commfire
01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I have been usiing a combo of bag balm cotton socks and shoe covers....its a process.
This thread has definitely made interested in trying out some winter shoes.

Any sock recommendations out there? I have heard good things about swiftkicks sp?