PDA

View Full Version : CX Nationals

thwart
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Anyone going?

I had a chance to ride the course yesterday afternoon and it was very icy (they were laying down ice melter at the time) and overall looked pretty darn tough. Nice stair run-up near the crest of one of the hills, great for spectators.

Forecast is low 40's Thursday/Friday and then cool off to around 32 for the big fireworks on Saturday and Sunday. So the mud will probably freeze in shady spots... should be interesting.

For Wisconsin, downright balmy conditions. And there is no snow.

rockdude
01-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Skipping nationals and heading to Worlds instead. I have looked at several videos of the course and it looks long, straight, non-technical (except for expected ice). Where are the 180s turns, where is the rough terrain, where are he tough run ups. I know sometimes videos don't do a good job of showing a courses features but it looks very much like a dirt crit and not what you would expect as a national championship CX course. Outside of the Ice conditions could you give some more feedback on course.

Nooch
01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Skipping nationals and heading to Worlds instead. I have looked at several videos of the course and it looks long, straight, non-technical (except for expected ice). Where are the 180s turns, where is the rough terrain, where are he tough run ups. I know sometimes videos don't do a good job of showing a courses features but it looks very much like a dirt crit and not what you would expect as a national championship CX course. Outside of the Ice conditions could you give some more feedback on course.

I think there's a lot of perception -- check this blog about the rumors: http://bit.ly/xuOOge

Friend of mine was 4th in the open 10-29 race yesterday, with a lousy start and according to him, not really pushing. Would be really awesome to see him do it this weekend!

rockdude
01-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the link. It well might be tougher than it looks.

I just have a pet peeve about some CX courses. I am a purest and look to the motherland for how cx courses should be. Two things define CX racing and separate it from other Bike racing; technical skill and burst of power. The plot of land will dictate the way the course is laid out but as a general rule you should never have sections that have burst of more than 20 seconds and most of the burst should be closer to 10 seconds or less. If the plot of land is flat or doesn't have natural features, put up a barrier, add a flyover or easiest of all add some tight turns. All to often, a promoter will get a large plot of land and think they should use the whole thing. It makes for long non technical straightway that are not fun to race or watch. One of the reasons we have a hard time competing globally is that our courses are not technical enough or powerful enough.

thwart
01-05-2012, 11:32 AM
If the plot of land is flat or doesn't have natural features Not a problem.

Read that excellent blog post, instead of looking at aerial views.

FastVegan
01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
I will be there Sunday watching the elite races, and heckling, trying to make Adam Myerson cry.

Nooch
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
For the record, I take no credit for the link (or finding it) -- Adam Myerson tweeted it :)

he also said low-pressure file-treads are your friend out there..

Nooch
01-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I will be there Sunday watching the elite races, and heckling, trying to make Adam Myerson cry.

"It's just bike racing.... but it means everything."

JStonebarger
01-05-2012, 12:24 PM
...I just have a pet peeve about some CX courses. I am a purest and look to the motherland for how cx courses should be...

Huh? I haven't seen it in person yet, but from everything I've seen this looks more like a euro-style course than most here in the midwest. It's a shame there's no snow, but still.

If you're going by the whiny youtube video from a couple months, I suppose it could look disappointing. But then, cross races are rarely ridden at a leisurely pace through unmarked fields...

Jawn P
01-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Huh? I haven't seen it in person yet, but from everything I've seen this looks more like a euro-style course than most here in the midwest. It's a shame there's no snow, but still.

If you're going by the whiny youtube video from a couple months, I suppose it could look disappointing. But then, cross races are rarely ridden at a leisurely pace through unmarked fields...

I'm here for the week. Working the pits for teammates, working with the Cyclocross Magazine crew and also racing elites on Sunday. Woohoo to burning the candle at both ends.

Haven't ridden it, but I was amazed by the elevation gain on the course. As the blog entry said, it's really not as ****ty as many people have complained about.

redir
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I took a pass on nats this year. Especially in Wisconsin, I figured it would be just too damn cold with the potential for lots of snow. I've been there done that in RI and in KC. It's just no fun. I like nasty weather for cross just not 8 degrees with icy snow covered ruts.

Jawn P
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
It's 45 degrees here today :-)

I'm thrilled as when I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off, I'm not as freezing cold.

thwart
01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I like nasty weather for cross just not 8 degrees with icy snow covered ruts. The gods of 'cross are smiling on the cheesehead state.

THIS AFTERNOON:
Mostly sunny and mild.
High: 44
Wind: SW 5-12 MPH

TONIGHT:
Mostly clear and mild.
Low: 31
Wind: SW 5-10 MPH

FRIDAY:
Partly sunny and mild.
High: 41
Wind: W 5-15 MPH

FRIDAY NIGHT:
Partly cloudy.
Low: 24
Wind: W 5-10 MPH

SATURDAY:
Partly sunny and not as mild.
High: 35
Wind: W 5-12 MPH

SUNDAY:
Partly sunny and seasonably cool.
Low: 20
High: 33

noonan1970
01-05-2012, 03:09 PM

That will be Adams second race of the weekend. I hope he has a good weekend!

flickwet
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Weston and I are here, he is racing the 15-16, he rides for Turner-Prochain on an S-Works, I promised him a Rock Lobster if he wins

thwart
01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Here's the online video link for the races: http://www.cyclingdirt.org/

rockdude
01-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Here'd the online video link for the races: http://www.cyclingdirt.org/

thanks for the link... With all that mud it looks like a great course, should of gone. :crap:

fungusamungus33
01-07-2012, 12:33 AM
for Justin Lindine!

He grew up in the shop I work for and is one hell of a nice guy! Plus he's one of my girlfriend's best friends from growing up here in the Catskills.

Go Justin! Good luck to the rest of the Forum Fam too!

CCB & Toni

thendenjeck
01-07-2012, 11:02 AM
this proves i've been working too much. it's happening 3 hours away and I had no idea. :crap: :crap:

and i even have the weekend off. sigh.