PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Carbon Wheel Thread

Wilkinson4
01-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Just curious how many people are running carbon wheels as every day wheels or training on them. I have been going back and forth on getting some for the Ellis and I have a bit of a deal on some Enve 3.4 laced to Alchemy hubs for >2K.

Still pricey no doubt. Also, I am curious about the longevity of the wheels and what I need to do as far as brake pads and whether or not to use glue or tubie tape to mount the tires.

If not, I think I am going to just have some HED C2 clinchers on Alchemy hubs built up which would a nice set of wheels.

mIKE

mike p
01-03-2012, 08:49 PM
I've got two pair right now but have never used them as everyday wheels. I train, commute, and tool around on open pros. It feels special when I'm on the carbon hoops, and I can't afford to wreck them commuting!

Mike

ergott
01-03-2012, 08:51 PM
I ride my 6.7s all the time. 2k for 3.4s, I'd jump on that fast.

uber
01-03-2012, 09:13 PM
I run carbon tubulars as everyday wheels. Never really an issue for me.
Brake pads get changed every couple of years. I use glue, no tape. My oldest set are a pair of Reynolds MV 32's, and they are 3-4 years old. No problems with the DV 46 UL's either. Just started riding the new Zipp 404's. No issues yet, but I only have one thousand miles or so on that set.

jonnyBgood
01-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I have a set of Shimano Dura Ace 7850 C24 tubular wheels that I have about 1200/1500 miles on and.... besides a bad sidewall cut and a new tire they have been awesome. Glued no tape.

If the weather has been bad and the roads are crappy I usually don't use them.

I also have a set of Bontrager Aeolus 5.0 carbon clinchers that I ride the crap out of that are about 4 years old. I have changed the pads out a few times and all is good still.

KF9YR
01-03-2012, 11:10 PM
I have Bontrager XXXL Clinchers that I use for everyday wheels with my Ottrott.

I have put a little over 3200 miles on them this fall and haven't had any issues with pads (stock cork ones) or durability.

fogrider
01-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I ride on some pretty rough roads on a regular basis. today there was an accident on the road some hours earlier, when I came across the scene, all that was left was lots of glass and debris. I was moving at about 24 mph, and hit something bigger than a wallet and with a nice little impact which put a slash into the front tire. the tire was a tufo and it went completely flat instantly. it actually felt very stable but I pulled over and took a look. I was temped to ride the mile back to the office. anyways, I like to ride something heavier on a daily basis so that when I get on carbon hoops, it feels like there's a motor on the bike.

the special pads are softer so the pads wear out without any wear on the rims.

rice rocket
01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Ride what your wallet (or better half) will let you ride. :) Durability shouldn't be too much of a concern with any hoop when properly built.

Lionel
01-04-2012, 01:58 AM
If this is going to be your only wheelset it mainly depends on the climate you live in. For SoCal no pb. For the UK I would use the C2.