PDA

View Full Version : Closing or deleting posts

jpw
01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I've seen threads closed because they've "run their course", but not deleted.
Happy New Year.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=101967

Louis
01-03-2012, 05:34 PM
I suppose it's moderator's prerogative.

I don't like it either, but in their defense, it was something that has been discussed previously.

Pete Serotta
01-03-2012, 06:36 PM
a few get deleted but more get closed for reasons of "direction" it is going either in content or in attack/name calling by some on the thread directed at others .

"Closed" allows some to get "value" from reading and they can open another thread to discuss.

Deleted is too offensive in my view or another moderator and is erased from general viewing,

I do not like to do it and do not take it lightly but do it for the general public of the forum.

pete .

Jason E
01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
But JPW is nowhere near out of bounds asking about a brand we've been waiting for an update from since October. I too would love an update.

I'm curious who the current moderators are. I like all, but you are in or you are out Pete. Are you not out? Or is that not until the new Forum rolls around? If that is the case, when is that? Indefinitely undetermined or known deadline?

Don't take it personally, I think we are all looking for some stability, and to understand where people stand.

Bruce K
01-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Again, Pete is still a moderator, just no longer the administrator.

Other mods are me, BBDave, Keith A, Socal Steve, Anheida Ride, Smiley, and flydhest.

At least that's all I can remember at the moment.

Stability you've got.

The decision to close vs delete threads (as Pete mentioned) is not taken lightly but if the thread in question has no perceived value in leaving it up then it will be deleted.

We have all stated in the past that we expect a certain level of civility here and folks also need to remember that this site is hosted by and paid for by Serotta. As such, we expect folks to treat the company with a cetain level of respect as well.

The therad in question, while based on a legitimate question, had a decidedly negative tone that really wasn't needed.

A little patience will go a long way as Serotta moves into their new business model.

BK

Pete Serotta
01-03-2012, 09:06 PM
And I still have the BMW motorcycles and value you as a friend. THere are some actions in flux but do not affect you or I. PETE

( i have not ridden the motorcycle in 18 months, since the tumor was found. and wonder when you coming down to bicycle with me ???

But JPW is nowhere near out of bounds asking about a brand we've been waiting for an update from since October. I too would love an update.

I'm curious who the current moderators are. I like all, but you are in or you are out Pete. Are you not out? Or is that not until the new Forum rolls around? If that is the case, when is that? Indefinitely undetermined or known deadline?

Don't take it personally, I think we are all looking for some stability, and to understand where people stand.

BumbleBeeDave
01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
First, Serotta is in the midst of a difficult transition to a new business model. That is no secret and has been discussed (ad nauseum) here. The deleted thread came off to me as, well, a bit whining. What could the goal be of such a thread except to further make Serotta look bad under the alleged context of "inquiring minds want to know?"

Second, you are complaining because ONE thread was deleted? Give. Me. A. Break. Go check out some of the OTHER cycling boards online and see how many posts, threads, whole subjects of discussion are deleted from THEM with no notice, no explanation from management (like you're getting with this one)--and no further threads allowed with people complaining about the FIRST thread being deleted.

This board VERY rarely deletes a thread, or post, and there are incredibly few subjects here that are off limits to civil and fair discussion compared to other online forums.

The plain explanation here is that they are short of people, short of resources right now, and doing the best they can as quickly as they can and your sniping isn't going to help them get it done any faster.

BBD

EDS
01-03-2012, 09:43 PM
First, Serotta is in the midst of a difficult transition to a new business model. That is no secret and has been discussed (ad nauseum) here. The deleted thread came off to me as, well, a bit whining. What could the goal be of such a thread except to further make Serotta look bad under the alleged context of "inquiring minds want to know?"

Second, you are complaining because ONE thread was deleted? Give. Me. A. Break. Go check out some of the OTHER cycling boards online and see how many posts, threads, whole subjects of discussion are deleted from THEM with no notice, no explanation from management (like you're getting with this one)--and no further threads allowed with people complaining about the FIRST thread being deleted.

This board VERY rarely deletes a thread, or post, and there are incredibly few subjects here that are off limits to civil and fair discussion compared to other online forums.

The plain explanation here is that they are short of people, short of resources right now, and doing the best they can as quickly as they can and your sniping isn't going to help them get it done any faster.

BBD

That is not very inspiring.

Sucks that Serotta is going through a rought patch. Makes me glad I bought my Serotta new when I had the chance. The pricing is so stratospheric, even in terms of custom domestic builders, not hard to see why they are having issues though.

Chance
01-03-2012, 09:48 PM

If there is one, who might that be? Or are we suppose to know already?

rugbysecondrow
01-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Just because it happens more elsewhere doesn't mean folks agree with it when it happens here. Of course you all know that and likely knew it when it occurred.

Oddly enough, more attention seems drawn to the train wrecks, if the thread just lived or was closed per normal protocol it would likely have just gone away.

BBD

SPOKE
01-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm thinking that we should ALL be happy that this forum still exists for our enjoyment. I really appreciate Serotta keeping the forum running. Those of you feeling wronged in some way because a thread gets deleted or closed seem to forget that this forum exists because Ben Serotta chooses to keep it going. During this difficult time for our host I'd think showing a bit of support is way better than throwing stones......

bike22
01-03-2012, 10:27 PM
I was a little confused by this at first, I saw in another thread where pete himself stated that he was no longer a moderator.

jpw
01-04-2012, 04:43 AM
If that thread was deemed 'off' or 'negative' this forum has no fair future.

I would ask for the thread to be reinstated (at least for a short period) as an educational piece for the benefit of all who come here about what is and is not deemed to be acceptable content. From my memory of the contributions made the thread had an overwhelmingly positive tone.

I recall Redrider stating on her in early December that the new website and range would be up and running before the end of 2011. I was merely musing aloud as to where it had got to and if that timetable had been revised long. How is one to consider choices for a new frame over the holiday season when the details of the 2012 range are not forthcoming as promised?

My suggestion would be to not make public promises that are not then met. That is what I would suggest creates any negative vibe floating around the forum or brand. It's a simple point. Please learn it.

Bruce K
01-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Keep looking and you'll see where we convinced him not to stop moderating.

At this point, this thread seems to be one that is going to go in circles as well.

BK

Pete Serotta
01-04-2012, 07:09 AM
and will be the hachet, administrator, and moderator.

If the forum goes away so will I!!! But I do not plan this and am going to just stay my non political self!

and the management can delete all my IDs if they do not like my antics and beliefs pf how I have been over the years and will not alter much

Serotta_Pete is back for I love the brand and have very strong ties to the other moderators and the community.

and my cancer drug treatment has changed a little - which gives me more energy in the last week.

For those who are new to the forum - - I was diagnosed with a cancer brain tumor is july 2009... An excellent surgeon cut it out and DUKE has been making sure no new unwanted pests are taking residence in my head.

Radiation is history and hopefully chemo is done by first of MARCH. Another MRI is this Thursday to make sure of no more "pests"

I rode with good friends on SUNDAY and also do gym two days a week and also pilates two days a week.

2012 will be s wonderful year. I have a trip to TUCSON in March and one to CA in late APRIL with friends... I will be very slow but with a BIG SMILE :D .

I have been very fortunate and friends, as well as some dear folks on the forum, have helped me over the last year plus. BEN even gave me wonderful OTTROTT for this year which is now at CYCLESPORT.

Please stop complaining about SEROTTA and status. Anything I can do to help you with an order - just let me know for BEN would need to change his cell number to get rid of me and my "in your face" personality and my love for him.

pete

Keith A
01-04-2012, 09:10 AM
If there is one, who might that be? Or are we suppose to know already?As for the technical admisistrator, that would be myself. As for the general forum administration, that is handled by the group of moderators who discuss the issues and then come to a decision on how to respond/act.