PDA

View Full Version : bye bye c50

jerk
08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
so the jerk's c50 is gone. tomorrow it's replacement shows up. it was a net-zero transaction and the jerk hopes he likes the new bike. it is a bike the jerk always has wanted but never has owned. it was a completely selfish and stupid purchase because the jerk can't sell'em, can't race'em and will sort of have to hide the fact that he owns it from everyone in his "bike industry" life.
but they can go screw, because the jerk as of tomorrow will be the proud owner of the same bike tom boonen rides; an xl time vxrs. pretty hurting huh?
jerk

saab2000
08-08-2005, 09:19 PM
I wish I had a Time bike. They seem pretty cool. These toys are all out of my price range.

e-RICHIE
08-08-2005, 09:20 PM
and they say men have no feelings...
e-RICHIE©™®

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 09:20 PM
toys are good though- congrats jerk

Jason

jerk
08-08-2005, 09:22 PM
I wish I had a Time bike. They seem pretty cool. These toys are all out of my price range.

they're out of the jerk's price range too....he's just a drunken sailor when it comes to bike stuff.

jerk

christian
08-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Time VXRS? That's what Voelckler rode in 2004, right? I really really liked that rig. And how much he suffered on the way up to La Mongie. That looked like it hurt.

Post pictures,
- Christian

jerk
08-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Time VXRS? That's what Voelckler rode in 2004, right? I really really liked that rig. And how much he suffered on the way up to La Mongie. That looked like it hurt.

Post pictures,
- Christian

voekler is the toughest sob ever. a worthy french champion and a true bike racer. a lot of people have the fitness and the skill, very few have the ability to hurt and push through the hurt.

jerk©™®

csb
08-08-2005, 09:44 PM
ever break any nuts with those stays

jerk
08-08-2005, 09:47 PM
ever break any nuts with those stays

ahmmmm...oh yes, all the time.

(someone tell the jerk what the heck this guy is talking about?)

jerk©™®

cs124
08-08-2005, 09:49 PM

jerk©™®

the "hole" in the c50's hp chain stays

csb
08-08-2005, 09:49 PM

jerk©™®

don't tell me you never stuck walnuts in those stay(s) voids

e-RICHIE
08-08-2005, 09:50 PM

jerk©™®

gay and vague...
e-RICHIE©™®

Cadence230
08-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Props for the new rig. Why does the Jerk speak of himself in the third person? The Cadence230

csb
08-08-2005, 09:51 PM
gay and vague...
e-RICHIE©™®

ernesto?

e-RICHIE
08-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Props for the new rig. Why does the Jerk speak of himself in the third person? The Cadence230

gay and vague...
e-RICHIE©™®

saab2000
08-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Mr. Jerk has always spoken about himself in the 3rd person.

Climb01742
08-09-2005, 04:03 AM
senor, you're gonna dig it. it is freaky light. with clinchers and no special attempt at all to hang it with light parts, a "friend" of mine built one (size med) at 15.5 pounds. it's stiff, fast and quite comfy...or so my "friend" says. gotta go with white tape and saddle, tho. just gotta. the seat "post" is interesting. once you cut it, the bike is much more "yours" than with most. but a vxrs is a keeper, so that's ok. all decked out with time stem and bottle cage it's quite spiffy...or so my friend says. you're gonna dig it.

William
08-09-2005, 05:13 AM
Pics? (Not gay or vague)

William (squint)

Smiley
08-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Did the jerk , copy right and trademark his name ??? I doubt that any posers to the jerk will show up on these forums . But nice move Jerk , you shall remain the only one .

Redturbo
08-09-2005, 07:12 AM
the jerk will rue the day. :crap:

turbo

Fixed
08-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Anything the Jerk rides will be cool that's just what he is. :cool: the Jerk's got soul .i.m.h.o.

fiamme red
08-09-2005, 08:58 AM
"a colnago c50 is a wonderful bicycle. there aren't more than four other bicycles in the whole world the jerk would call wonderful."
jerk -- 07-20-2005 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=107162&postcount=17)

So the Time VXRS is one of the other four "wonderful" bicycles?

How quickly we tire of our toys! Good thing that, unlike women, bikes don't mind when you trade them in for the "latest and greatest" model!

John H.
08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
The VXRS would be the perfect bike if it took a standard threadless headset instead of integrated.

fiamme red
08-09-2005, 09:35 AM
The VXRS would be the perfect bike if it took a standard threadless headset instead of integrated.Perfect for what?

Dr. Doofus
08-09-2005, 09:44 AM
whatever you ride, you still can't beat the Fast Kid

doof is sticking with thos eposition changes, jerkpal...its a rest week, so some time to adapt...and doof always plays with position anyway...so maybe it'll work, or maybe jerkman will say "I told you so"

dbrk
08-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Am I mistaken or is this the model where you have to cut the seatpost to your preferred saddle height? Yikes. That's being pretty sure of things. Talk about a proprietary bicycle. Though none of those concerns make a wisp of difference on a dedicated race bike such as this.

And what's with the new affordable Merlins? I think it is the carbon revolution: titanium bikes are taking it on the chin because carbon is so much lighter (everyone but me, it seems, cares about lighter, lighter...) and cost the same or less. And the new steels are almost as light as titanium at a considerable savings too, though no one races a steel road bike anymore. (Steel is ****ensonian: it is the best and worst of times...) Soon we will have a whole new generation reared on carbon that has never ridden steel, just like we now have grown-up bike riders who've never shifted on the downtube or friction. Times change and, of course, I resist until persuaded otherwise.

dbrk

Climb01742
08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Am I mistaken or is this the model where you have to cut the seatpost to your preferred saddle height? Yikes. That's being pretty sure of things. Talk about a proprietary bicycle. Though none of those concerns make a wisp of difference on a dedicated race bike such as this.

it is. but even once the "seatpost" has been cut, the seat clamp has 3 cm of adjustment. that becomes the upper limit of how high the saddle can ever be. but of course, the seatpost can be cut lower. not limitless adjustment, but not quite as final as it might seem.

riding one of these puppies is pretty amazing. the french can do a few things extraordinarily well. apparently, weaving a carbon frame thread by thread is one of them. ;)

sspielman
08-09-2005, 10:03 AM
You could do FAR worse than a Time vxrs, in my opinion....
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6004&highlight=vxrs

FunkyPorcini
08-09-2005, 10:08 AM
==Thinks the Jerk is related to Ricky Henderson==

Grant McLean
08-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrk

Climb01742 wrote:
it is. but even once the "seatpost" has been cut, the seat clamp has 3 cm of adjustment. that becomes the upper limit of how high the saddle can ever be. but of course, the seatpost can be cut lower. not limitless adjustment, but not quite as final as it might seem.

Gentlemen:
In addition to what has been said, I think I should be pointed out that the "seatpost" the slides inside the extended tube is 27.2mm in diameter. The actual carbon post that the seat attaches to, comes from Time at about 300mm long on the frame I saw. If you don't want to cut the post to save a few grams, there is no need to. The fact is though, most people will cut both the seat tube and post to their range of size and mininum weight, thus leaving the adjustment range only. It will look a little odd with a seatpost sticking out of the seat tube (did i just write that?)

Grant

Cadence230
08-09-2005, 06:44 PM
gay and vague...
e-RICHIE©™®
There's vaguely gay people here? What you are is no business of mine. As you were.

jerk
08-09-2005, 06:48 PM
"a colnago c50 is a wonderful bicycle. there aren't more than four other bicycles in the whole world the jerk would call wonderful."
jerk -- 07-20-2005 (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=107162&postcount=17)

So the Time VXRS is one of the other four "wonderful" bicycles?

How quickly we tire of our toys! Good thing that, unlike women, bikes don't mind when you trade them in for the "latest and greatest" model!

yes.

the jerk didn't tire of it, and should not have sold it....problem was he was alll hot to trot for a new c50 ultra extreme thing after he spun around on a rabobank prototype last spring....the jerk ordered the frame in his size, then tyhey couldn't/wouldn't make it.....auction was already on for the c50 and the jerk didn't want to be that guy, so he got something he also has always wanted.

as for bikes not minding, the jerk almost cried when the fed ex man came and took it away.

Climb01742
08-09-2005, 06:55 PM
i really should know better than to ask...what's the monetary damage on a c50 extreme?

jerk
08-09-2005, 06:56 PM
i really should know better than to ask...what's the monetary damage on a c50 extreme?

all of it.

probably around $4800 the jerk would guess......

jerk

Tmogul
08-09-2005, 08:42 PM
You're going to really like that bike Jerk. A local shop owner sells both brands and says he likes the vxrs the best. I actually tried his bike .....full record with OG brakes...was very nice indeed. However I didn't care for the slower front end on the XS which you don't have to worry about since XL's have 55 trail instead of 64. Slap that crazy long stem on there and I would think you'd be happy with the geo.

Forgive me if I don't have any sympathy for a guy who owns a BLE, sold a C50 and couldn't get the C50 extreme, but instead bought a VXRS. Life must seem so cruel. How does the Jerk cope? :p :D

CNote
08-09-2005, 09:36 PM
:confused:

Can someone explain what the purpose of this seatpost design is?

inGobwetrust
08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I stopped by the shop today to get my rear wheel fixed and The Jerk and crew took real good care of me as usual. I got to see this bike both before and after the build. HOLY CRAP is it nice!!! Very light and the details are amazingly cool. If any of you make it to Boston you should really stop by the shop where The Jerk spends most of his time and money. He and the rest of the guys there will take great care of you and you'll get to ogle some amazing bikes.

Climb01742
08-10-2005, 04:01 AM

as explained to me, the idea is to save weight. with clinchers, mine is 15.5. would be very easy to build up a sub-15 pound frame. yet, this is no noodle. riding, it feels very robust and smooth. could see both boonen and bettini digging this frame. could handle boonen's sprint. could handle the cobbles. and could get the cricket up the bergs quickly. whether the seatpost is a gimmick or not, the whole package really seems to work.

LegendRider
08-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Cycling Weekly from the UK did a review of race bikes and here's how they came out with a few comments

1. Time VXRS - they loved it, benchmark for road bikes
2. Colnago C-50 - barely edged by the Time, best cornering bike
3. Cannondale Six13
4. Wilier Pro Race
5. Pinarello Dogma
6. Trek Madone 5.9 SL
7. Ridley Damocles - it was "too stiff," a classics bike, not for climbers
8. Litespeed Vortex - hated the Litespeed fork, rode better with Ouzo Pro

I'm tempted by the Time, but I think I'd go for the VXR with the traditional seatpost and, I believe, an aluminum bottom bracket lug versus carbon on the VXRS.

jerk
08-10-2005, 08:47 AM
so the jerk rode it today for a quick thirty miles...it's really nice and totally different than any bike the jerk has ridden before. it is definatly lighter than any of the other bikes and one can tell.
obviously, the dearly departed c50 is the benchmark against which this thing should be judged and the jerk was really expecting it to be a "french c50"...but it's not.
it's much, much lighter. it seems to "float" a little bit more over bad patches of pavement and not feel quite as robustly stiff as the c50. that being said, the jerk was wary of the amount of seat post, but the back end of this thing, is super stiff, no bb flex, no seatpost flex and the whole thing jumps when you put some power down especially up hill.

nonetheless the bike lacks the torsional rigidity of the c50. this is not a bad thing at all, as it seems a little springier when climbing. nonetheless, when diving into a corner hard it feels a little bit "looser" than the c50. that being said, the fork, headset, stem headtube is rock solid.

as for the funky gimmicks; the bike goes together perfectly. all the bits fit together and nothing needed to be tapped, faced or otherwise ****ed with. the seatpost design is really nice and while it may limit potential resale of the frame this is the only drawback. beyond saving weght, the design also eliminates a nasty pinch bolt on an inmportant structural lug the jerk supposes...

nice bike and a better compliment to the big leg emma because it is so different.

jerk

Grant McLean
08-10-2005, 09:22 AM

Actually, I think the extended seat tube design makes total sense, especially in carbon. On a compact/sloping frame, the leverage point of the seatpost is where the stress of the seat clamp is. That makes NO sense. The extension of the seat tube eliminates this extra stress at that intersection.

Grant

Grant McLean
08-10-2005, 09:42 AM
it seems to "float" a little bit more over bad patches of pavement and not feel quite as robustly stiff as the c50. that being said, the jerk was wary of the amount of seat post, but the back end of this thing, is super stiff, no bb flex, no seatpost flex and the whole thing jumps when you put some power down especially up hill.

nonetheless the bike lacks the torsional rigidity of the c50. this is not a bad thing at all, as it seems a little springier when climbing. nonetheless, when diving into a corner hard it feels a little bit "looser" than the c50. that being said, the fork, headset, stem headtube is rock solid.
jerk

Hey, sounds like you are talking about my Six13 !! I've ridden a C40hp for about 18 months, and tried a spin around the block on the Cannondale Six13 on a lark. That was a mistake. I haven't ridden the Colnago since wheeling the 'Dale into the home stable. I think these Six13's are completely under rated. I've ridden and own a lot of ChiChing! cool bikes, and you know, I don't think anything is a dialed into my taste as the Six13. I would describe it exactly as you have your Time. Comfy yet solid, nimble yet stable, but they come in every cm sizing! ( which was the deal breaker for me with the VXRS, as i'm really exactly between a small and medium size) Bottom line, I like the geometry better, the Colnago is too slow steering, and the Cannondale is still plenty stable, and the Six13 is super smoooooooooooooth, something I would never use to describe the C40. I think the Six13 is great value too, as the thought of dropping the amount of cash for a hOttrott or VXRS in Record with some nice wheels... makes me what to use French curse words!!

-Grant
just my$0.02