PDA

View Full Version : Tune hub question -- help!

akelman
01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I've got a new set of wheels that are built around Tune hubs. The freehub assembly, which is supposed to be splined for Campy, doesn't look like Campy freehubs I've used in the past. And while a Campy cassette will slip on there (too easily, I think), it's loose. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just stupid (as usual)? Any help at all will be much appreciated.

leooooo
01-03-2012, 01:21 PM
It's fine. You described all 3 of my Tune hubs.
Freaked out at first with the cassette play too.

Lionel
01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Yep it's normal....

akelman
01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Okey-dokey. Thanks, guys. I really appreciate you taking the time reassure me. That said, what an odd design. How does that much play not result in a thrashed freehub assembly? Regardless, like I said, thanks.

Peter B
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Ari,

Twist the cassette gently with your hand as if the chain were pulling it as you tighten the locknut. That way it is forced against the splines. In use there's never a force to pull it back the other way. Mine have worked just fine without any excessive wear.

And let me know when you get that Argonaut and we'll meet up for a fixed ride.

fuzzalow
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
How does that much play not result in a thrashed freehub assembly? Lockring torqued to spec, there is no play.

The splines of the cassette gears butt up against the load bearing side of the hub carrier notches, same as dogs transfer drive in a automobile gearbox. The free space left over does nothing. Tune probably did it to save weight.

thendenjeck
01-03-2012, 03:02 PM
i read up on these hubs and they also have the bearings bonded in, and you have to heat the hubs to get the bearings out, then loctite the new bearings in. so weird.

wasfast
01-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Not sure why they made the fit so loose. The issue I had was not so much the clocking of the cassette but rather the eccentricity if you just plop the cassette on there. I'd have to center it by hand with the wheel laying parallel to the bench and gently tighten the lockring.

Overall, not a big fan of the hubs, especially at the premium price they were at the time.

akelman
01-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Ari,

Twist the cassette gently with your hand as if the chain were pulling it as you tighten the locknut. That way it is forced against the splines. In use there's never a force to pull it back the other way. Mine have worked just fine without any excessive wear.

And let me know when you get that Argonaut and we'll meet up for a fixed ride.

Thanks, Peter. Will do on both counts. I hope you're slow enough to keep down with me.