PDA

View Full Version : Shimano getting on 110bcd train!

christian
08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
From Competive Cyclist:

Shimano has also formally announced the impending production of a 50/34 compact crankset. Interestingly, it won't be branded "Dura-Ace" or "Ultegra", rather, there will be one version of this crankset only, and it will simply be known as "FC-R700". It will have the Hollowtech II integrated BB spindle technology of today's Dura Ace and Ultegra cranksets. And Shimano states that since the rings will use their current SG-X shifting technology, there will be no need to use a compact-specific front derailleur. Rather, any existing double Shimano front derailleur will lead to crisp shifting between chainrings. We don't have a price on this yet, but the estimated delivery date is January 2006.

Link here: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE_NUM=2&PAGE=WHATS_NEW&PRSET_VERSION=1

Cool huh? I just ordered a new Centaur alloy CT crankset, but this will be very cool, too, I bet.

- Christian

dbrk
08-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Good pals of mine have been all over Shimano to do this for more than two years, though not with the hollowtech thingamagignotion. These pals have some influence, one might say, but I doubt this is a response to such intelligent initiatives. (A centerpull brake is also being rallied for, a much less likely prospect) Here what we have are too many sales losses to FSA, Ritchey, and others and finally a response from Shimangnolo. That's good. I think I prefer the simpler Centaur 110bcd approach.

dbrk