PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy new for full benefit?

scrafton
08-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey. Interested in adding a Serotta to the stable after riding a friend's over the weekend and we were discussing models, etc. Since a huge part of the allure/benefit/quality of a serotta is the custom fitting process does this mean that buying a used serotta is not such a good idea?

Obviously the money savings new vs. used could be substantive but does this make sense because it won't truly fit me or be built for me?

Thanks

Climb01742
08-08-2005, 03:41 PM
if it fits you, it fits you...makes no dif it is custom or stock. the more subtle issue is...what ride characteristics were built into the frame. and are they the ones you want/like? if you're buying a used serotta, i'd suggest a) a test ride; b) ask seller how it rides; or c) get serial # and ask serotta if they can describe its ride character. custom these days means geo and ride...i'd just check out both if you can.

BumbleBeeDave
08-08-2005, 09:29 PM
. . . If you buy a used custom you can almost always find a combination of parts to hang on it that will give you a decent fit. But if you like the handling of a Ferrari and the guy who originally bought the bike wanted a Buick, then there’s really no way to fix that.

BBDave

Needs Help
08-09-2005, 12:53 AM
One reason to buy new: Serotta's lifetime guarantee on frames and carbon forks.

William
08-09-2005, 05:15 AM
if it fits you, it fits you...makes no dif it is custom or stock. the more subtle issue is...what ride characteristics were built into the frame. and are they the ones you want/like? if you're buying a used serotta, i'd suggest a) a test ride; b) ask seller how it rides; or c) get serial # and ask serotta if they can describe its ride character. custom these days means geo and ride...i'd just check out both if you can.

Ditto on the Climb-ster.

William