PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Descente?

vqdriver
01-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Website only shows ski gear now. Did they leave cycling gear behind or is there another site? Google isn't helping.

ultraman6970
01-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Descente Jerseys besides the ugly designs are pretty good. Bibs? uff... my ass started screaming santini and castelli after 30 mins riding one of their bib shorts. Even last me WAY less than a santini or castelli, if it wasn't because i got it on sale 40% discount I was not that pissed off, no way I would had paid full price for them.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Website only shows ski gear now. Did they leave cycling gear behind or is there another site? Google isn't helping.

Hugh Walton project, I used to sell it. Distributed by Veltec, Veltec went away, adios Descente. Nobody picked it up, I think they just ceased production.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/5697.html

BumbleBeeDave
01-02-2012, 09:03 AM
"“Our brands have a strong following in the market,” Krikke said. “During the 2011 season we have had a hard time supporting the growth in demand, ultimately leading to product supply issues. It is now time to pass the baton to someone who can take these brands to the next level."

I always love it when PR/marketing people spout BS like that " . . . take these brands to the next level."

What exactly does that mean? The level of not giving up? The level of doing a better job figuring out how to actually do business and make a profit? What, exactly? . . .

BBD

telewhacker!
01-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I had really good luck with the fit and quality of their clothing during their last renaissance. However getting delivery of their products through their EP program was a nightmare. Seems like companies that fumble on those deliveries are always doomed. As I recall fullfillment with our shop was pretty haphazard too.

Bob Loblaw
01-02-2012, 10:44 AM
That's a shame. I have a pair of Descente shorts I like a lot. They were relatively inexpensive when I got them six or so years ago, and are showing signs of end-of-life, but they remain comfy and I still wear them on the trainer or under tights.

BL

wasfast
01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
So it does appear they took the brand to the next level. That level just happened to be the basement........

ultraman6970
01-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Lucky you, after almost 2 years my bibs desintegrated, u were able to use them as panty hose, they got that thin. IMO some stuff was priced just high to put them in a place in the market but as quality garment it just sucks. Besides was easier to find descente stuff than a good italian brand in almost any shop around the country, oh and for the right price.

Remember Performance a few years ago got some castelli stuff but they were asking like 300 bucks for 150 bib, just insane.

vqdriver
01-02-2012, 11:57 AM
hhmmmm. that is a shame. i remember when those chevron sided shorts were pretty highly regarded.
i have a pair from a few years back that are going strong. the inseam seems longer than my other shorts in the same size, but the chamois is comfy and properly placed for me. oh well, the search continues.

beercan
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
i just bought a bunch of descente long sleeve baselayers on the bay on closeout for like 20 bucks a piece, def good sizing for me, too bad to see them go

Louis
01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
During the 2011 season we have had a hard time supporting the growth in demand, ultimately leading to product supply issues.

So, to put this another way: "There was so much demand for our products that we're going out of business."

Doesn't make any sense to me. Would they have done better if demand had been flat or declining?

Acotts
01-03-2012, 01:32 PM
They just got purchased by a textiles holding company w/ strong ties to some very unique factories in China/Taiwan. I think you will see them work to try to get back into cycling discussion.

In fact, the current owner asked me what I thought the market was for custom team jerseys.

I told him that I would not be putting my money there.

I am pretty sure a new website will be out soon.

tiretrax
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
That's too bad. I bought 4 pair of bibshorts 6 years ago and they're still going strong. I rode with a friend who had a year old pair of Capo's highest priced shorts, and he found out he was sporting a hole one inch above his sweet spot.

Competitive/Bonktown are blowing out Castellis and Capos - cheapened product?

torquer
01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
i remember when those chevron sided shorts were pretty highly regarded.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races06/tdf06/tdf86-7-11.jpg
Didn't hurt when you consider who else was wearing them :D
Wasn't Descente the first company to offer lycra shorts Stateside? They may have bought them from Assos and rebranded them, but as I recall they sold them before anyone else in the early '80s.

GuyGadois
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't think their popularity is waning. I just think their appeal is becoming more selective.

vqdriver
01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/races06/tdf06/tdf86-7-11.jpg
Didn't hurt when you consider who else was wearing them :D
Wasn't Descente the first company to offer lycra shorts Stateside? They may have bought them from Assos and rebranded them, but as I recall they sold them before anyone else in the early '80s.

best part of that pic is the sea of black, not colored and especially not white, shorts.

jonnyBgood
01-03-2012, 05:25 PM
The coolest thing they have done in the last ten years was reproduce the 7-Eleven team jersey. :confused:

Check out the calfs on Eric Heiden in the picture

oldguy00
01-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I still love their socks. Bought a bunch on sale from Performance recently. These:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1080983_-1___

(I think they were a couple dollars cheaper when I got them)

xjoex
01-03-2012, 07:32 PM
My first jersey was this Descente one:
http://robertobicicletas.com/ebay/descentes-1304535941-21479.jpg

-Joe