PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo chainring replacement question

hockeybike
01-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Just picked up some Rotor Q rings for my campagnolo cranks and wanted to know if there's an order or pattern to follow for the installation/removal of the chainring bolts. I've seen it hinted at, so I figured I'd ask before mangling my cranks.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Just picked up some Rotor Q rings for my campagnolo cranks and wanted to know if there's an order or pattern to follow for the installation/removal of the chainring bolts. I've seen it hinted at, so I figured I'd ask before mangling my cranks.

Nope, just make sure the inner and outer are aligned plus some grease on the CR bolt threads when reinstalling. Plus a wee bit of grease on the crank spider whee the chainrings touch not a bad idea.

hockeybike
01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the help as always, OP. For some reason the hidden bolt won't come undone. I have an awful feeling someone loc-tited the thing. Is that common?

oldpotatoe
01-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the help as always, OP. For some reason the hidden bolt won't come undone. I have an awful feeling someone loc-tited the thing. Is that common?

is it a torx? They can be pretty tight.

jds108
01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
is it a torx? They can be pretty tight.

Might even be a security torx bit. My SR crank uses one on the hidden arm, despite all of the others being a standard torx.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Might even be a security torx bit. My SR crank uses one on the hidden arm, despite all of the others being a standard torx.

Those just a wee bit of a plastic plug in them. I dig that out, throw it away.

hockeybike
01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Yep, it is a torx. All the other screws came out no problem. The hidden one won't budge. I hit it with some penetrating oil in case it's seized and will give it another shot tomorrow.