PDA

View Full Version : Campy Chainring Advice

Tex
01-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Happy New Year!
The outer chainring on my Moser Leader Ax needs replacing. The bike is all Campy Record, but noticed to my surprise that both inner and outer chainrings are Specialites.
I'd like to repacle both chainrings with Campy Record (probably NOS), but need to know what details are critical to matching up with the exsiting components:
Campy Record 170 cranks
53T outer ring
39T inner ring
BCD is 135
8-speed rear cassette
Lastly, would there be a reason to have the Specialites chainrings on the bike, other than being a cheaper alternative to Campy?
Thanks in advance.

don compton
01-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Happy New Year!
The outer chainring on my Moser Leader Ax needs replacing. The bike is all Campy Record, but noticed to my surprise that both inner and outer chainrings are Specialites.
I'd like to repacle both chainrings with Campy Record (probably NOS), but need to know what details are critical to matching up with the exsiting components:
Campy Record 170 cranks
53T outer ring
39T inner ring
BCD is 135
8-speed rear cassette
Lastly, would there be a reason to have the Specialites chainrings on the bike, other than being a cheaper alternative to Campy?
Thanks in advance.
You might check out buying a "nos" Campy crankset. Many have paid $75 or so for an Aluminum Record crank. Just a thought.

Tex
01-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Don,
Thaks for the quick response. I'm checking eBay now and notice that there are plenty of Record cranksets; however, some are 10-speed and some are 11-speed. Does that refere to the max size of rear cassette?

don compton
01-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Don,
Thaks for the quick response. I'm checking eBay now and notice that there are plenty of Record cranksets; however, some are 10-speed and some are 11-speed. Does that refer to the max size of rear cassette?
No, the 8,9, or 10sp designation refers to the chain width required by each model( more speeds, narrower chain).
Years ago when going from eight to nine speed, the eight speed rings worked with nine speed. You will have to ask "Old Potatoe" about eight to ten rings.
Don C.

Steelman
01-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Branford Bike is a good source of info:

http://branfordbike.com/articles/chainrings-pg68.htm

For what its worth, I am running 10sp rings on 9sp chain with the original spacer and no issues.

DRietz
01-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Dead wrong.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2012, 07:43 AM
Specialites are most certainly NOT a cheaper alternative to Campy. At $120 a ring, they're just as expensive. Specialites chainrings are awesome because they make Campy-compact compatible rings in 1-tooth increments...incredibly helpful for junior gearers like myself.

TA rings? I sell a lot of TA rings and they are not even close to the $ of Campagnolo made rings.

For the OP, get TA rings, 135mm BCD, 53 and 39...probably in the $100 or so range for both. Campagnolo rings, silver, can be 8, 9 or 10s, are going to be in that 4100 per range. You can use 9s and 10s chainrings w/o any issues but will need a wee shim if you use a 10s ring. See a decent shop that 'qui si parla Campagnolo'.

ultraman6970
01-02-2012, 08:43 AM
If it works fine I wouldnt even bother changing them. I would try to get a set of new cranks, for the price of those chainrings u can get a new set of cranks. Even u can go ultra torque, will work just fine with 8 speed IMO.

DRietz
01-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Duly dead wrong.

oldpotatoe
01-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Wouldn't that be in the $100 range for each?

I suppose you're right - Campy ti rings are incredibly expensive. Never really bothered to look before. I just figured they couldn't be THAT much more. :rolleyes:

I donno, $60 for one and $40 for each isn't what I think of as "Specialites are most certainly NOT a cheaper alternative to Campy. At $120 a ring, they're just as expensive."

But maybe there is someplace that sells a TA big ring for $120.

Tex
01-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Many thanks for the expert advice and great education on chainrings. In spite of my head hurting, I feel that I've come a great distance in just a day!
However, in a fit of eBay madness last night, I jumped on a Record 10-speed crankset. Perhaps I can re-sell and hold out for an 8-speed or push it into service with my new knolwedge of Campy chainrings.
Again, thanks to everyone for your assistance!