PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck is Dirt Up To?

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Ive droped a few hints here and there- Ive even let a few people in on my parts picks- But to answer a bunch of questions all at once- Im going to say this-

Last year at the TdFL I saw my first Terraplane in person- I decided then and there I had to have one- a little over a year later I have one ordered. :beer:

What I am building is a "country bike" one that is equally at home on a gravel or dirt road as it is on the pavement- I am not looking for a country bike in the Rivendell school of thought- but rather in Dirts school of thought- What does that mean? The bars will be higher than on my legend- but not equal to or above my saddle- I want the bike to be long and low- easily able to hammer with the go fast group but equally at home loaded down with gear out on a dirt road solo ride- This will be a special bike- one that requires an equally special builder- of course I think Dave Kirk is just that.

I found it interesting that e-richie made the comment in another thread - "Do you trust your contact points and do you trust your builder?" I answer yes to both- I told Dave what I wanted and he told me what I needed- end of story

This bike- in my opinion- really will show what a "custom" can do for you- Not the funky angles or weird tube lengths- this bike will actually be quite "normal" in its angles and such- where the true value of custom will come in is when the whole package is pulled together- you will see. This will be a bike that you wont see on a showroom floor- no major manufacture will be bring out their version of the MRB out next year- but just wait- you will see them in the future.

I am almost as excited about the parts pick as I am about the frame and fork. Again- not a selection you will see at the LBS or most mail order houses for that matter- I have gone way geeky here- just wait- picture and more updates to follow- Lastly- as I post updates- please remember that I am building this bike to make one person happy- me!!!- It may not be what you would build- thats cool- when you have Dave build yours- build it however you like- ;) Complete package due in around mid October

Aint cycling fun

Jason

weisan
08-08-2005, 01:26 PM
another one bites the dust....what a shame. :rolleyes:

Ozz
08-08-2005, 01:32 PM
...Lastly- as I post updates- please remember that I am building this bike to make one person happy- me!!!- It may not be what you would build- thats cool- when you have Dave build yours- build it however you like- ;) ...
Sooooo....you're not going to drop your drawers and post the build sheet so the rest of the world can tell you what you need to do differently?

That's so selfish..... :beer:

One question: Is it orange?

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Ozz- I can assure you- if I drop my drawers you will see nothing orange

Jason

Ozz
08-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Ozz- I can assure you- if I drop my drawers you will see nothing orange

Jason
'bout time you stopped eating cheetos! those things will kill you...if you don't go blind first. ;) :banana: :banana:

Ginger
08-08-2005, 01:37 PM
I bet Dirt doesn't know if it's orange yet or not.

I wonder how many mountain bikers Dave builds MRBs for? We seem to want them to be full-on road bikes that are happy on pavement or dirt that we can get dirty on moderate trails and dirt roads and yet load up from time to time. Is that weird or what?

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Sooooo....you're not going to drop your drawers and post the build sheet so the rest of the world can tell you what you need to do differently?

a few key words to ponder- think csb

dura ace
quill
threaded
Jitensha
Brooks
Dugast
aero
Paul
Nitto
zebra
Scott

Jason :D

pbbob
08-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Phil?

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Phil?

que?

Jason

pbbob
08-08-2005, 02:00 PM
as in phil hubs. I have a set of phil track wheels

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 02:01 PM
nope- no Phil's involved in this build :no:

Jason

BumbleBeeDave
08-08-2005, 02:05 PM
. . . If the Dirt-Man drops his drawers we will see nothing? :rolleyes:

BBDave

Ginger
08-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Neo retro on front, touring canti on rear. Putting neo retro's front and rear looks cool, but I've found there's a pannier/foot clearance issue...and the touring gives good performance. I don't like them on the front though...too too much...(looks, not performance, I'm sure they work well...)

And I'm working on getting some very cool cable hangers...

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Neo retro on front, retro touring on rear. Putting neo retro's front and rear looks cool, but I've found there's a pannier/foot clearance issue...and the touring gives good performance. I don't like them on the front though...too too much...(looks, not performance, I'm sure they work well...)

sounds like someone has done her homework

Jason

Ginger
08-08-2005, 02:17 PM
go look at the pics of my bike over in the custom side of the world. :)
Plus I was riding my bridgestone in the winter with the neo retros front and back and without clipless pedals I kept stopping the bike.

And you can do stoppies with the neo retros if they're set up correctly. :banana:

Ginger ALWAYS does her homework!

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 02:23 PM
understood- but that was kind of a trick question- I looked for Ginger's posts under Custom- nada- but this MAMartin gal has a real nice Kirk in there :p

Jason

Ginger
08-08-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm curious about the quill though. Considering adjustment I understand to a point...but tell me why?

Needs Help
08-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Wow. And, I thought your Legend was one of the most beautifully proportioned bikes I've seen in the gallery.

I'm sure your post will bring a knowing smile to dbrk's face. :)

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 02:31 PM
cuz they're cool :cool:

cuz they dont make great ones anymore :crap:

cuz its going to make people ask questions :D

cuz :p

Jason

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Wow. And, I thought your Legend was one of the most beautifully proportioned bikes I've seen in the gallery.

I'm sure your post will bring a knowing smile to dbrk's face. :)

thanks- now its Ozz's "most beautifully proportioned bike" :D

dbrk has been in the loop almost as long as Dave Kirk

Jason

Tmogul
08-08-2005, 03:00 PM
I thought you loved your legend dirt? Aren't you going to miss it? Was there a huge switch in your philosophical views about how a bike should perform? When I first came on this forum asking about ti frames for big guys everybody lauded the merits of the legend including yourself. I thought I read somewhere too that Too Tall's legend was also sold no? I'm not sure on this one though.

Do you guys like the variety of a different ride every now and then or do you shoot for the perfect frame to keep for life?

Either way I was getting quite curious why all your items were going on sale. Enjoy the process.........and the wait.....tick tick tick. :)

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 03:08 PM
T- man

I LOVED my Legend- if I were rich or single I would have kept it and gotten the Kirk- but alas I am neither- so to fund the Kirk I either had to sell my son (mrs dirt said no) or sell my Legend-

Bottom line for me- I went into a Ferrari dealer and bought a brand new F430- only to later realize that the 250's do it for me more

Jason

Tmogul
08-08-2005, 03:16 PM
You know what's really crazy is that somebody in my local area actually has a Ferrari F430 (didn't even know the name till I looked it up and recognized the car) and I see it from time to time. Nice!!!!!

Ginger
08-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Ah...I see...

*that* is why you were so disappointed the Jamaica baby didn't come through...(Mrs. Dirt ok with selling the second one to fund the new bike...)

Keith A
08-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I still think the Surfer series is where it is at :cool:

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 03:45 PM
I still think the Surfer series is where it is at :cool:

the surfer series is very very cool- for you- a surfer- they would be very cool- since I am a dirtdigger- I like the grain of the zebrawood

Jason

jerk
08-08-2005, 04:03 PM
admit it dirt-
you just didn't want to have the same bike as your pal 93legendti.
jerk©™®

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 04:05 PM
you have to love the jerk

Jason

Keith A
08-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Jason, you gave too much away. I was trying to emulate you CSBish post and see how quick Ms Ginger was on this one. :D

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 04:17 PM
sorry- the jerk had me all flustered with his post

Jason

jerk
08-08-2005, 04:22 PM
sorry- the jerk had me all flustered with his post

Jason

the jerk has that effect on people. have fun on your new bike....even if it is a hybrid. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you'll have a blast on it.

jerk

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 04:24 PM
hybrid- OMG- I never considered it one of those-

cool- maybe I should talk to dave about making it a "bent" too

Jason

csb
08-08-2005, 08:55 PM
dirts on a hybrid

hybrid, hybrid, hybrid

dirtyhybrid.

THE fenders are swanky

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 09:24 PM
THE fenders are swanky

you should see the Dugasts!!!

thems swanky- they even smell purdy

Jason

csb
08-08-2005, 09:28 PM
when i was a kiddo, i tried to smell
a grass snake _ got bit on the nose.

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 09:33 PM
that wasnt a grass snake- that was you sick uncle merv- oh no another gay vague reference :p

Jason

H.Frank Beshear
08-08-2005, 09:52 PM
I was thinkin he's fer sure warped, and definetly twisted :D But after that last bit I know he's bent. :beer: :banana: Frank

csb
08-08-2005, 09:56 PM
hydirt,
what coating is on the underside
of those fenders?

dirtdigger88
08-08-2005, 10:14 PM
versus grannie panties and flats
sometimes it aint about being practical- you gotta work for the looks

I don't honestly think anything but teak oil- I am guessing they are going to be way high touch- dbrk has already tried to talk me out of them due to their flat shape and. . . well - wood! But they're so d*mn cool I gotta at least try em- I bet after a season or two they take on a different pantina- but thats not all bad either

Jason

Dekonick
08-08-2005, 10:51 PM
I'll bet this bike - being modern in design (terraplane) with it's old school parts pick will be truely - unique. The only improvement would be campy or suntour 'ponents v.s. shimano - just my thoughts.

A hybrid LOL -

far from it! Its a special breed of its own. :D

can't wait to see pics!

dirtdigger88
08-09-2005, 07:42 AM
D-

I realize you are only adding you thoughts in and dont intend to start a component war

BUT

I went with Shimano of a lot of reasons

practical- I had the derailures and seat post

economical- see above

personal- As I have said many times before- I discovered bikes via BMX in the late 70's- For us BMXers- the ultimate in cool was to latch onto some Dura Ace track gear- 180- 190mm cranks at 9 years old- grab some mini tubbies and go win some races- Shimano was the top of the heap- there was not Campy- In the mid 80's I discovered MTBs- again the best gear out there was made by shimano- I got my first road bike in 01- you guessed it it has Shimano

So I have been riding bikes with Shimano for 27 years with only a couple of small (one or two year) gaps between- I am going to bet that most who talk of the "tradition" of Campy cant say they have been using any one brand for that long- For me- Shimano IS tradition- its what I have always used and it is what I know and its what I trust-

Not to go on a rant- besides- Campy doesnt make a Chorus or Record level downtube shifter- and Shimano has a Dura Ace level- :p

Jason

cpg
08-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Sorry if it's already been noted but what color/paint scheme?

Curt

Keith A
08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
DD -- are you going to post the pic or do you want me to?

dirtdigger88
08-09-2005, 02:17 PM
DD -- are you going to post the pic or do you want me to?

naw- hold off on posting the picture- Keith has been helping me via his Photo Shop skills-

For now lets just say yes it will have color

Jason