PDA

View Full Version : Chamois position

vqdriver
12-31-2011, 08:14 PM
I've tried some newer bibs including rapha, performance, and giordana and have noticed that the chamois are positioned way further back than my current pearl izumis, capos, and castellis. Not by a little either. Feels like they're way out there when I'm on the bike and the most heavily padded areas don't even contact the saddle. My position is not aggressive by any measure so I'm pretty sure I'm not rotated a crazy amount.
Just me or has it always varied by this much? I know the rapha race bibs purport to position the chamois more forward but apparently it's only a cm or so. I think there's some craft bibs in the classifieds for the same reason.

thendenjeck
12-31-2011, 08:28 PM
thread title is so....suggestive

benitosan1972
12-31-2011, 10:53 PM
The new generation of chamois bibs like carbon bikes are targeting the racer market. I've noticed the chamois being placed forward to be useful while in an aggressive (sliding up on the nose of the saddle) position. I've not noticed what you say "chamois being placed further back." That would be more indicative of touring-type position/placement (upright, back on the saddle). Everything I'm seeing nowadays is geared towards racing-type positioning.

eddief
12-31-2011, 11:51 PM
you have them on backwards :).

Gummee
01-01-2012, 12:08 AM
The new generation of chamois bibs like carbon bikes are targeting the racer market. I've noticed the chamois being placed forward to be useful while in an aggressive (sliding up on the nose of the saddle) position. I've not noticed what you say "chamois being placed further back." That would be more indicative of touring-type position/placement (upright, back on the saddle). Everything I'm seeing nowadays is geared towards racing-type positioning.
I have. Even (some of) the pros have their pads too far back.

Look at the pics of em racing.

M

CNY rider
01-01-2012, 07:26 AM
It's funny, I don't ever remember this being an issue but for some reason I'm noticing chamois in the wrong places in the past 1-2 years as well.
Most recently on a pair of Boure bibs.
I am not an "aggressive" rider; I have a few cm of saddle to bar drop. Most of my bikes have Brooks saddles.
The Boure pad does not cover a wide enough area in the back when riding a Brooks saddle. I find the chamois edges are rubbing on the edge of the saddle causing painful friction. This is more up on my "tush" as opposed to down in the taint region.
When I wear the same bibs and ride a Terry Fly saddle they are very comfortable.
I have Endura bib tights that cause the same problem when riding a Brooks.

Maybe it's our saddles that are changing and the chamois are not keeping pace?

Again, I never even thought about this in the past but it's happening now. :confused:

tv_vt
01-01-2012, 09:48 AM
I noticed this particularly on a pair of Assos 'half-shorts' I tried. Chamois was definitely positioned for riding down on the drops - very forward. Didn't cover my sitbones most of the time, or I was right on the seam.