PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help me understand iTunes

MRB
12-31-2011, 04:47 PM
My wife has an iPod Nano that she works out with. Cute little thing indeed. I wanted to move some of her workout music to my inexpensive SanDisc Clip MPC player.

Will iTunes allow you to move media to non Apple devices ? :rolleyes:

Apple does sort of rope you into their ecosystem. Their stuff works nicely, but I'm a little more into openness / interchangable parts, etc.

I digress... my question remains: "Can I move media to a generic mp3 player with iTunes? "

TIA

CaptStash
12-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Apple says "Sort of". But in reality, not really. iTunes is truly designed specifically for Apple products. That's Apple's style so you are sort of stuck with it. The good news is that iPods are really pretty good pieces of equipment IMHO.

MP3 Players with iTunes (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2289)

Let us know if you make it work. I'm sort of curious how hard it is.

Stash....

MRB
12-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks CaptStash: The docs you linked to revealed the issue.. MP4 vs MP3 file format. I'll let you know how the transfer goes. I guess an MP3 player is literal, in that it won't play MP4.

The Hackintosh I built (and ultimately replace with a Mac Mini mid 2010 model) was easier to do than saving audio to my mp3 player via iTunes.

xjoex
12-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Mac's walled garden is a bit of a pain, but iTunes lets your click on an song/track and select "Create MP3" version.

Just in case that helps.

I love the iPod Shuffle, perfect for working out.

-Joe

vqdriver
12-31-2011, 08:24 PM
You can create a playlist in iTunes and burn it to disc. Either a typical audio cd or an mp3 disc. I don't know about the mp3 disc but I know for a fact that if you burn an audio cd it strips the drm. Then you just rip/import those songs from cd into whatever other computer/mp3 device you have. Problem of course is the limited capacity of CDs. If you have a lot of music to move this could take an eternity.

Alternatively you could buy google search mp4 to mp3 converter software.
Almost better off just buying the cheapest iPod off cl.

Dekonick
12-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Mac's walled garden is a bit of a pain, but iTunes lets your click on an song/track and select "Create MP3" version.

Just in case that helps.

I love the iPod Shuffle, perfect for working out.

-Joe

Yeah, what he said. Apple likes to keep you in their garden...

Happy New Year (in 30 min) and yeah, I am at home with sleeping children.... but I wouldn't trade that for any NYE party on the planet. Love my kids!

thegunner
12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
enable disc control http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1478

navigate in the ipod when plugged into ipod_control/music/* and copy all those folders off somewhere. those are all the songs in mp3 form, just with jumbled 4 letter names. do whatever you want with them ;)

kramnnim
12-31-2011, 11:07 PM
If you install Rockbox on your Clip, it should play m4a's. Mine does, anyway.