PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

majorpat
12-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Anybody done much swimming for off season fitness? My family has a new Y membership which includes a lap pool. I've always been a strong swimmer (WSQ when I was a Marine) but never swam in a structured manner in a pool. If anyone has some advice on how to go about this I am all ears. Oh, and I will not be sporting a grape smuggler Speedo under any circumstances, it is NOT the same as wearing lycra on the bike. Thanks.

Pat

rugbysecondrow
12-30-2011, 10:26 PM
There is a book called "total immersion" that I like. It has drills, technique etc. if it is beneath your skills, then look into a master program for workouts sessions or maybe just regimen.

Swimming is great exercise.

CaptStash
12-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Anybody done much swimming for off season fitness? My family has a new Y membership which includes a lap pool. I've always been a strong swimmer (WSQ when I was a Marine) but never swam in a structured manner in a pool. If anyone has some advice on how to go about this I am all ears. Oh, and I will not be sporting a grape smuggler Speedo under any circumstances, it is NOT the same as wearing lycra on the bike. Thanks.

Pat

Dude, get over it. It's the same deal. You have to use the right equipment no matter what the sport, and for swimming laps that means a real suit. The good news is you can get jammers (basically a really light version of cycling shorts without the chamois).

Swimming is a skill sport (my son is a very successful competitive swimmer, so I sort of know what I am talking about - but only sort of) so it pays to learn the skills rather than just going for it. I think you would really get something out of a little bit of coaching. Try looking into local masters swimming teams (they are often open to relative novices) or even better a triathlon clinic/coached group. Triathletes are all about distance freestyle, which is what you want I assume. I also suggest you learn to do flip turns (if you haven't already) as they help keep you in the rhythm.

The bad news is that while swimming will undoubtedly help you keep up your aerobic conditioning, it is totally NOT a leg sport, so you'll still need to do something to keep the leg strength.

Are you sure you don't want to join me on the rowing machine?

Have fun,

CaptStash....

I'll stick to rowing ON the water and let the kid flop around IN the water!

wooly
12-30-2011, 11:06 PM
There is a book called "total immersion" that I like. It has drills, technique etc. if it is beneath your skills, then look into a master program for workouts sessions or maybe just regimen.

Swimming is great exercise.

I second this book. I started swimming 5 years ago and read this. It really helped my form and ultimately my enjoyment of the sport.

Louis
12-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Are you sure you don't want to join me on the rowing machine?

A few days ago I wiped the dust off my Model C and cranked it up again for the winter. Last night I did 3 x 2km pieces. My time on the first was decent, but I went downhill fast. The good thing about starting at a low, low level is that you improve quickly...

alancw3
12-31-2011, 05:31 AM
i swim a mile every morning five days a week for years now and i have to agree with a prior comment. not a strength exercise for legs. totally an upper body strengthener. i usually do the treadmill and the stationary bike prior to my swim to give the legs a workout.

an added benefit i find is that no matter how bad a day you are having (we all have bad ones occaisionally) once you get your head in the water and start swimming it is a wonderful pyschological therapy. just puts you in a better frame of mind.

rugbysecondrow
12-31-2011, 07:08 AM
i swim a mile every morning five days a week for years now and i have to agree with a prior comment. not a strength exercise for legs. totally an upper body strengthener. i usually do the treadmill and the stationary bike prior to my swim to give the legs a workout.

an added benefit i find is that no matter how bad a day you are having (we all have bad ones occaisionally) once you get your head in the water and start swimming it is a wonderful pyschological therapy. just puts you in a better frame of mind.

I agree with the addition that it is a huge core exercise as well. The core is what drives the legs and is the engine. Doing yoga has actually helped me be a better swimmer. The yoga helped me turn on my core, purposefully engage it while swimming. Actually, learning to engage the core helped my riding, running and lifting as well.

oldpotatoe
12-31-2011, 08:43 AM

Pat

Why I don't like the pool, that thing scared the cappola outta me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M6l5bK076w

slowgoing
12-31-2011, 09:06 AM
not much to lap lane etiquette - if it is crowded, pick a lane that matches your speed, pass on the left, don't flip turn and push off of the people stopped at the end of the lane.

Distance swimmers don't kick that hard but sprinters do. Plus a strong kick will help your speed immensely. Grab a kick board for a good workout.

killacks
12-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Grape smuggling is never cool, just strictly functional imho.

I swam and played water polo through my jr and high school years, so I'm quite familiar with speedos. Shorts just add more resistance. Work it out!

Seramount
12-31-2011, 10:22 AM
not much to lap lane etiquette - if it is crowded, pick a lane that matches your speed, pass on the left, don't flip turn and push off of the people stopped at the end of the lane.

Distance swimmers don't kick that hard but sprinters do. Plus a strong kick will help your speed immensely. Grab a kick board for a good workout.

ummm, altho it doesn't seem that complicated, I've seen some near brawls at the pool over poor lane etiquette...

it's a good policy to check in with all swimmers in a lane before joining them. especially if they're not already circling.

where I swim, 3 in a lane is regarded as max capacity. altho some people who know each other and swim at similar paces do 4 or 5...

try to be aware of the presence of faster swimmers and yield to them at the wall.

and, avoid developing the dreaded 'side-arm' stroke...it really sucks to be clocked in the face by someone doing this.

technique is everything in swimming...learn what good form looks like and strive to maintain it throughout your entire workout.

Sheldon4209
12-31-2011, 10:34 AM
I am not much of a swimmer so I get in the deep end and tread water for several minutes, sometimes a half hour. It is a core builder and calorie burner. I also row and it is good for my riding, aerobics and a full body work out.

old_fat_and_slow
12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Unless you have triathlon aspirations, I'd stick to running and/or cross-country skiing and weights.

Swimming is okay, but you will find it is BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRing. Not quite as bad as riding a bike trainer, but right up there close.

I'm sure joining a Masters program helps with the boredom aspect, but I am not really into listening to someone else tell me how to work out.

Swimming is pretty hard on your shoulders, so make sure to try avoiding doing too much too soon.

Best thing about smimming is the scenery in your lane or the adjacent lanes, other'n that, phhhfffftttt.

SEABREEZE
12-31-2011, 12:52 PM
When I seen Swimming... I immediately thought... New years and the annual polar bear dip in the ocean.

BobbyJones
12-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Unless you have triathlon aspirations, I'd stick to running and/or cross-country skiing and weights.

Swimming is okay, but you will find it is BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRing. Not quite as bad as riding a bike trainer, but right up there close.

Just the opposite. Some of us find swimming (even laps) the most enjoyable thing to do. Ok, Maybe the not the most enjoyable, but right up there. For me, it's meditative.

Some people here have quoted a book "Total Immersion" . Ironically enough, the author refers to a mental state called "Flow".

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

JLNK
12-31-2011, 01:47 PM
The Y pools I used to swim in were too warm because the pool was used for a variety of other activities such as family swim time - so you felt hot from doing laps. They were also very shallow on one end so the water got very choppy in comparison to swimming in a dedicated lap pool where the water is deeper and colder on purpose. I suppose Y pools may vary. Also, seeking some coaching advise is good. When I was starting out, swmiming with Master's swimmers (well I didn't really swim with them more like I am in the pool at the same time) could be an eye-opener as most of them were ex-college swimmers and were very, very good. Also, as has been suggested doing laps with a kick-board or if possible using swim fins to work the legs helps.

Seramount
12-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Swimming is okay, but you will find it is BOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRing.

there must be a rule somewhere that this meaningless comment must be posted in every thread about swimming.

plenty of swimmers thoroughly enjoy the time they spend in the water. getting into the sweet spot of a stroke is really rewarding, very Zen-like...even when I'm having an off day with my form, I'm not bored.

for me, grinding into a stiff headwind on a long, straight, flat road is tedious. doesn't make cycling boring tho.

if you're bored, go do something else.

old_fat_and_slow
12-31-2011, 05:48 PM
if you're bored, go do something else.
I do. I choose weightlifting over swimming, anytime.

plenty of swimmers thoroughly enjoy the time they spend in the water. getting into the sweet spot of a stroke is really rewarding, very Zen-like...even when I'm having an off day with my form, I'm not bored.

Great, good for you ! Fer me I never found that kind of peace or inner satifaction from swimming. I just found it boring (except fer the hot chicks). YMMV

I've been running for over 30 years now. Done all kinds of running and multi-sport events. I hear a lot of runners talking about "runner's high" too. I also have never experienced that. The only high I get from running is when I stop, at the end of the work-out, period.

However, I stick to my original statement. To me, swimming laps is incredibly boring. You're free to have your own and equally valid opinion.

rugbysecondrow
12-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Swimming, like running, takes time to find the zen spot. Admittedly, it is hard for me to find it in the pool if I haven't been swimming regularly. I LOVE open water swimming, not stopping, turning, painted lines to watch...that is fun and very relaxing. The pool is for intervals for me, with warm up and cool down durations. As a guy who is a big fan of strength training, swimming will really stretch you out and help you find muscles you didn't even know you had.

I am also lucky to be able to swim in a saline pool which helps out. Frankly, the big drawback for me is the chlorine, it causes dry skin that can be very troublesome this time of year and makes it not worth it for me to train for my swimming. I do triathlons, but I really only swim train in the spring when I can get outside, pretty much a water temp 58+ is good for a workout. Luckily my running and bike fitness helps me stay in shape to swim, just not as fast as others who put in the time.

I do. I choose weightlifting over swimming, anytime.

Great, good for you ! Fer me I never found that kind of peace or inner satifaction from swimming. I just found it boring (except fer the hot chicks). YMMV

I've been running for over 30 years now. Done all kinds of running and multi-sport events. I hear a lot of runners talking about "runner's high" too. I also have never experienced that. The only high I get from running is when I stop, at the end of the work-out, period.

However, I stick to my original statement. To me, swimming laps is incredibly boring. You're free to have your own and equally valid opinion.

BigDaddySmooth
12-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Here's my 2 cents. Swimming is a skill sport that needs to be learned at a young age to maximize potential. This is evidenced by the fact that most male competitive swimmers are done by 25 and women by 20-22. When you start later in life, it is extremely difficult and most basically thrash around in the pool without taking the time to learn proper technique. So, join a Master's program and learn technique. Swimming is a full body exercise that is great for the legs if you use your legs. If you don't think it works your legs then you are not doing enough butterfly and flutter kicks with the board. Mark Spitz, using just his legs and a kickboard could go 27 seconds for 50 yds. Boring? Try doing 10X200 on 3 minutes, followed by 10x100 on 90sec, 10x50 on 45 secs...I doubt you'll be bored...maybe a little sick and winded, but not bored. :banana:

rugbysecondrow
12-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Here's my 2 cents. Swimming is a skill sport that needs to be learned at a young age to maximize potential. This is evidenced by the fact that most male competitive swimmers are done by 25 and women by 20-22. When you start later in life, it is extremely difficult and most basically thrash around in the pool without taking the time to learn proper technique. So, join a Master's program and learn technique. Swimming is a full body exercise that is great for the legs if you use your legs. If you don't think it works your legs then you are not doing enough butterfly and flutter kicks with the board. Mark Spitz, using just his legs and a kickboard could go 27 seconds for 50 yds. Boring? Try doing 10X200 on 3 minutes, followed by 10x100 on 90sec, 10x50 on 45 secs...I doubt you'll be bored...maybe a little sick and winded, but not bored. :banana:

Agreed. i would caution though that I have heard the advice about Master Programs for adult swimming, but I am not certain that they are appropriate for most novice swimmers. Its like having the weekend warrior rider going to a hammerfest ride for direction...just doesn't reconcile.

This might just be how it is where I live.

Dekonick
12-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I spend more energy going 50M in a pool than I do on a 20 mile ride...

I swear I am almost drowning while moving forward... never learned that svelte technique I see so many have. I won't drown, can swim a mile, but BOY do I suck as a swimmer. Count me in with the group of folks who do not swim for pleasure.

I will run, and can even enjoy it at times... (with music) but will NEVER crave it...

Cycling, on the other hand, I absolutely love. In fact, I will not willingly go for less than an hour... I just can't do it.

Now - Lifting... that is something I absolutely crave. Squats and leg presses... dead lift, bench, rows, bench rows... I crave 'em...

I prefer lifting to all exercise... but swimming? Not so much.

Weird - guess there is something for everyone. Just do it is what Nike promotes :)

Seramount
01-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Agreed. i would caution though that I have heard the advice about Master Programs for adult swimming, but I am not certain that they are appropriate for most novice swimmers. Its like having the weekend warrior rider going to a hammerfest ride for direction...just doesn't reconcile.

This might just be how it is where I live.

your advice is pretty accurate.

Masters is not really geared toward noobs, the workouts can be pretty grueling.

if you're not already a fairly competent swimmer, they'll pretty much hand you your ass in a to-go sack.

jimcav
01-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Try doing 10X200 on 3 minutes, followed by 10x100 on 90sec, 10x50 on 45 secs...I doubt you'll be bored...maybe a little sick and winded, but not bored. :banana:
Since my hip injury I've been swimming 3-4 times a week, just getting in and swimming freestyle for 30 minutes, then i go lift upper body or whatever my hip will take on lower body. Lately I have started doing some interval work, because one day a guy was doing that next to me. Once a week now I try 5-8 100s with 15-30 seconds rest. It is all i can do to hit the 100 in 1:30.
Way harder than bike or running intervals for me. I think the workout you describe would be impossible and demoralizing to anyone who is not a prior competitive/coached swimmer. I have a decent aerobic base and can't do any part of the 1st 2 sets you posted, haven't tried just 50's, but suspect I would fall off the 45 sec interval after 4-5

Jim

rugbysecondrow
01-01-2012, 10:11 AM
your advice is pretty accurate.

Masters is not really geared toward noobs, the workouts can be pretty grueling.

if you're not already a fairly competent swimmer, they'll pretty much hand you your ass in a to-go sack.

Yep, ask me how I learned...it was a long morning. I had a similar experience on a group ride (unsuspecting hammerfest)...that was another long morning.