PDA

View Full Version : Anyone riding SRAM Apex?

sc53
12-30-2011, 01:50 PM
LBS is recommending this setup as the way to renovate my old Campy Record 8-speed to give me more gears for hilly rides. I have another bike with MTB rear cassette and derailleur plus compact crank and bar end shifting. I like it but am willing to try something different. Wondering if anybody has some Apex experience they'd like to share? Is it finicky or set it and forget it? I kind of like the white accents option, since my bike (CSI) is blue and white.

RickD.
12-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Don't do it. The quality and performance is not there compared to Record, even 8 speed. You can still get 8 speed chains and cassettes as well. Plus, a switch to Apex would mean new hubs which will really get pricy.

sc53
12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Interesting aspect of this is that LBS mechanic wants me to upgrade to 10 speed Campy (Veloce) levers, and keep my Campy FD, but switch to Apex RD and cassette/chain, and rebuild my rear wheel to 10 speed. He swears the Campy shifter will work fine with the SRAM RD and cassette. I have no idea whether it will, but I like the idea of having more gears but keeping my "brifter" option rather than go to bar ends. I already have a compact crankset.

gdw
12-30-2011, 02:06 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=91715&highlight=apex+problems

The guy who owned the bike I worked on took it to a shop to have the first Apex rear warranteed and replaced. It worked well until the second day of Ride the Rockies. Same problems as the first and the ride mechanics couldn't explain why it crapped out and were unable to fix it. Sram must have had a bad run or their quality control leaves a lot to be desired.

Dave Wages
12-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I tried this setup a couple years back, Campy brifters, Apex rear derailleur and Shimano 10 speed cassette and chain. I guess what I would say is that it's close, but not quite there. It's the kind of thing where if I'm out on a ride by myself it's no big deal if I have to fiddle just a tad with things to get them to work, but if I was riding in a group it would be pretty irritating because it's off just enough to be troublesome. I'd heard from various sources that it works perfectly, but I can't say that was my experience. With the tight tolerances that 10 and 11 speed derailleurs and cassettes have it's hard to find a cobbled together kit that can compete with a complete kit from one maker. My advice would be to go all SRAM, Shimano or Campy and you'll be much happier.

My two bits.

Cheers,
Dave

rice rocket
12-30-2011, 02:15 PM
How much rear gear are you going for?

I'd probably go w/ a JTEK shiftmate in your situation. Keep the Campy Record 8 shifter, run a big 8 speed Shimano mountain cassette, Shimano mountain derailleur, JTEK shiftmate. You'll need a Shimano wheel too now...

oldpotatoe
12-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Interesting aspect of this is that LBS mechanic wants me to upgrade to 10 speed Campy (Veloce) levers, and keep my Campy FD, but switch to Apex RD and cassette/chain, and rebuild my rear wheel to 10 speed. He swears the Campy shifter will work fine with the SRAM RD and cassette. I have no idea whether it will, but I like the idea of having more gears but keeping my "brifter" option rather than go to bar ends. I already have a compact crankset.

Campagnolo ERGO(10) and sram RD will shift sram/shimano 10s spacing. so Yes, you can get the apex plus MTB 10s cogset(use shimano SLX).

If you need that 34 or 36 tooth biggest gear, lowest gear.

BUT as has been mentioned and like a gent that bought a Specilized with Apex, rode it twice, sapped it all for shimano 105.

I also agree, go all shimano or compact and 13-29 Campagnolo.

John M
12-30-2011, 02:34 PM

That is a pretty expensive set-up that still will be a compromise--it may work "fine", but not perfectly.

Other than lower gears, what are your priorities? Keeping Campy ERGO, minimizing cost, avoiding a triple, etc???? Seems to me that the answers to those questions lead to finding the right solution.

harryblack
12-30-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm confused... If you already have Campy 8 speed, why not go to straight Veloce (or Centaur) 10 sp (medium cage rd + shifters) on the same wheels?

Granted that's a few more twenties than Apex but if my budget is tight, I'd suggest used Shimano over new Apex/Rival/Red.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm confused... If you already have Campy 8 speed, why not go to straight Veloce (or Centaur) 10 sp (medium cage rd + shifters) on the same wheels?

Granted that's a few more twenties than Apex but if my budget is tight, I'd suggest used Shimano over new Apex/Rival/Red.

Campagnolo 9s and 10s and 11s cogs won't fit onto Campagnolo 8s freehub body.

You can convert a 8s Campagnolo hub with a new freehub but those were made for only about 2 years, 1997/8..then onto an aluminum axle, different FH body. So hard to find, that FH body.

palincss
12-30-2011, 07:16 PM

If you're changing to Campagnolo 10 speed Ergo shifters, another possible option is the IRD 10spd Elite road cassette, available in 11-30, 11-32, 11-34, 12-30 and 12-32, rather than the Apex cassette. I think this would still be a rather pricey conversion, requiring both shifters and rear wheel and possibly also a rear derailleur.

Will the 8 speed left hand Ergo shift a triple? If so, it will probably end up cheaper to switch to a triple. Something like an XD-2 compact triple can be had pretty cheap, even including the price of a new top-shelf bottom bracket like the SKS, and you're not going to match the low gear you can get with a 24T granny with any compact double + MTB cassette without going to a 36T large sprocket.

harryblack
12-30-2011, 08:32 PM
ah, gotcha-- as suspected, i WAS confused! thanks OP.

Campagnolo 9s and 10s and 11s cogs won't fit onto Campagnolo 8s freehub body.

You can convert a 8s Campagnolo hub with a new freehub but those were made for only about 2 years, 1997/8..then onto an aluminum axle, different FH body. So hard to find, that FH body.

fourflys
12-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a Salsa Vaya with Apex and haven't had any issues...

vqdriver
12-30-2011, 09:12 PM
this seems like a lot of work to what amounts to salvaging the rear wheel.
you're already talking about swapping out the shifters, RD, and cassette. not exactly ideal or cheap. if you're after lower climbing gears, i'd replace the rear wheel and open up the posibilities to what's currently on the market. but you may end up with a jtek if you're married to campy levers and you want mtb gearing. 8sp mtb cassettes are easy to find, campy splined..... not so much.

plus you get the benefit of having a usable wheel if/when you ever move up to 10 sp.

sc53
12-31-2011, 04:08 AM
My 8-sp Campy wheel cannot be used with 9 or 10 speed, as Old Potatoe notes. So I have to get a new rear wheel no matter what I choose. Having doubts about the Apex solution now, though--so thanks for the feedback!

sc53
01-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Picked up my CSI yesterday after it was built up with a new Apex gruppo in white (which a friend on today's ride called "way too metrosexual!") and a new White Industries rear wheel (to match my existing shiny silver '96 era Record front wheel). I love the way this turned out, and the pro build by Bicycle Pro Shop was superb! Everything shifted perfectly, brakes grippy but modulated, no rubbing or slipping or shrieking of any kind. I am really pleased with the way this turned out. Apex may be inexpensive but it works really well (at least for 30 miles on a freezing day).

fourflys
01-14-2012, 09:36 PM
wow, good looking bike!

Litespeed_Mike
01-14-2012, 09:53 PM
My $0.02 worth:

1. Record 8sp gruppo. If in good condition, I'd keep it right where it is. Cassettes and chains are cheap.

2. In terms of wider gearing, you can buy a compact crankset off the forum, a long cage rear der. and a 13-26 cassette new or off the forum for ALOT less than a WHOLE SRAM Apex drivetrain.

3. Record of any vintage is serious bike bling! From Super Record 11 to Nuovo Record and everything in between!

thendenjeck
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
never thought i'd say this, as i love the old sante groups, etc, but that may be too many white bits for me...

AngryScientist
01-14-2012, 10:22 PM
note that i dont mean any personal offense when i make these remarks, but that stem set-up is comical. what sense does it make to have a negative angle stem if it's going to be raised that high?? do you really need that much stem sticking out of the head tube?

the bike itself looks great, i dont have any problem with all the white accents, but the stem thing really kills me on this one.

sc53
01-14-2012, 10:57 PM
hello angry...it's a Nitto Technomic Deluxe quill stem, designed to raise your bars up near your saddle, and is not a negative angle stem. Many thousands of people ride them without exasperating anyone! It's a well regarded design though you don't seem familiar with it.

dekindy
01-14-2012, 11:31 PM
It is really great when a plan comes together. I have read some negatives about SRAM Apex quality/durability so hope you do not have any problems. When I first saw the groupo I thought it was a great idea and still do if it works.

fourflys
01-15-2012, 12:01 AM
no issues with my Apex group so far...

mistermo
01-15-2012, 01:05 AM
In the first post, the question was asked about running Campy shifters w/ a SRAM rear end. If the question was specific to 8sp, then I don't think this would work. But Master Lennard Zinn, seems to have had great success with Campy up front and 10s SRAM in the back.

I'm contemplating giving this a try with a big, wide range cassette.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2008/03/bikes-and-tech/can-you-run-campy-shifters-with-a-sram-drivetrain-sure-why-not_73404#photos

AngryScientist
01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
hello angry...it's a Nitto Technomic Deluxe quill stem, designed to raise your bars up near your saddle, and is not a negative angle stem. Many thousands of people ride them without exasperating anyone! It's a well regarded design though you don't seem familiar with it.

my only point was that to me, it was not aesthetically pleasing, I'm all for comfortable, well set-up bike that are a joy to ride, sounds like you've got yours dialed in, ride it in good health! :beer: :beer:

Smiley
01-15-2012, 09:30 AM
note that i dont mean any personal offense when i make these remarks, but that stem set-up is comical. what sense does it make to have a negative angle stem if it's going to be raised that high?? do you really need that much stem sticking out of the head tube?

the bike itself looks great, i dont have any problem with all the white accents, but the stem thing really kills me on this one.

Angry,
The lovely SC has impecable tastes in bikes. The Nitto stem works for many folks in that much extension from the head set. Its very stiff and works well for riders needing a more up-right position.

SC how do you like the SRAM shifting with the ergonomics of the brifters. :)