PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Stronglight chainrings?

bfd
12-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Planning to get a Campy Chorus compact carbon UT crankset with 50/34 rings. However, I have bad knees and would like to run a smaller big ring. I know Campy uses its proprietary 110/112 bolt pattern for this crank but doesn't offer a 48t (although a 46t is/will be offered on its new CX crank!)

So, looking around, I see there are two companies that might make aftermarket rings that will work with this weird bolt pattern - TA Specialities and Stronglight. The TA rings are very nice, I have a set of regular 110bcd rings, but pricey.

Then there's Stronglight. Anybody have experience with Stronglight Zircal Chainrings like these:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Chainrings-Stronglight-Zicral-7075-110mm-Camp-9-10-Chainring/STROCHRI520

If so, a few questions:

1. do they fit onto Campy carbon cranks with the 110/112bcd?
2. if I get a 48t, do I need to get a matching 34t or can I use the existing Campy ring.
3. any experience, good or bad, with these rings is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ultraman6970
12-29-2011, 04:00 PM
The guys say that it is... (i would send an email to them just in case and ask them to verify)

U can use anything else.

No experience but i have not heard anything bad either.

ShockTreatment
12-29-2011, 04:32 PM
I've used those chainrings in 135mm BCD with good experience.

bfd
12-29-2011, 04:33 PM
The guys say that it is... (i would send an email to them just in case and ask them to verify)

U can use anything else.

No experience but i have not heard anything bad either.

Thanks, I have an email into Ribble to verify that the Stronglight rings are compatible with Campy Chorus compact carbon cranks.

Further, since the chainrings are "ramped and pinned," I asked if the rings are compatible, i.e., can you run a Stronglight 48t big ring with a Campagnolo 34t small ring.

If not, I'll need to get matching rings. Good Luck!

ultraman6970
12-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Doubt will be a problem man if you want to run that set up. The FD will shift it anyway.

oldpotatoe
12-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Planning to get a Campy Chorus compact carbon UT crankset with 50/34 rings. However, I have bad knees and would like to run a smaller big ring. I know Campy uses its proprietary 110/112 bolt pattern for this crank but doesn't offer a 48t (although a 46t is/will be offered on its new CX crank!)

So, looking around, I see there are two companies that might make aftermarket rings that will work with this weird bolt pattern - TA Specialities and Stronglight. The TA rings are very nice, I have a set of regular 110bcd rings, but pricey.

Then there's Stronglight. Anybody have experience with Stronglight Zircal Chainrings like these:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Chainrings-Stronglight-Zicral-7075-110mm-Camp-9-10-Chainring/STROCHRI520

If so, a few questions:

1. do they fit onto Campy carbon cranks with the 110/112bcd?
2. if I get a 48t, do I need to get a matching 34t or can I use the existing Campy ring.
3. any experience, good or bad, with these rings is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

48t Campagnolo chainrings for compact are made and available and yes, expensive.

TA makes one also as was mentioned.

No you don't need to 'match' to a small ring.

bfd
12-30-2011, 01:04 PM
48t Campagnolo chainrings for compact are made and available and yes, expensive.

TA makes one also as was mentioned.

No you don't need to 'match' to a small ring.

Thanks Peter! I knew that Campy sold a 48t and that it was very expensive, i.e., $99 @ one UK gray market site!

Also, got verification from ribble that the stronglight ring will not only fit campy carboncompact cranks, but will work with a campy are 34t small ring. So at less than $33, it appears the way to go! Good luck!

fatallightning
12-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks Peter! I knew that Campy sold a 48t and that it was very expensive, i.e., $99 @ one UK gray market site!

Also, got verification from ribble that the stronglight ring will not only fit campy carboncompact cranks, but will work with a campy are 34t small ring. So at less than $33, it appears the way to go! Good luck!
One would think they would note the offset bolt bcd more clearly in that case. Older 9/10 Campy compact cranks didn't always have the hidden and offset 5th bolt. But if it works, let us know. I have a 46t outer FSA ring that I just opened up with a round file for my cross bike.

Ralph
12-30-2011, 04:29 PM
AS I recall.....Campy square taper compacts....like Centaur, etc that came with 110 BCD, did not have the off set bolt hole. Then along came UT....with off set bolt hole.

I would check carefully that 110 BCD Stronglight.

don compton
12-30-2011, 05:19 PM
AS I recall.....Campy square taper compacts....like Centaur, etc that came with 110 BCD, did not have the off set bolt hole. Then along came UT....with off set bolt hole.

I would check carefully that 110 BCD Stronglight.
Both my Chorus and Record square taper, compact cranks have the hidden, offset bolt. Fortunately, I was able to buy them with 48-34 rings.

witcombusa
12-31-2011, 01:51 PM
I'd recommend going down to a 46t large ring. The 2 tooth difference from the 50 to the 48 won't do what you want.

Ralph
12-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Both my Chorus and Record square taper, compact cranks have the hidden, offset bolt. Fortunately, I was able to buy them with 48-34 rings.

I had a Centaur square taper compact without the off set hole. Make sure the Stronglight is not for a Centaur or lower level.

SoCalSteve
12-31-2011, 04:35 PM
I'd recommend going down to a 46t large ring. The 2 tooth difference from the 50 to the 48 won't do what you want.

I agree!

Look at FSA as well for cranks and matching rings. 46/34 with an 11/27 cassette is a great combination across the board.

Good luck!