PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to find a $#%&* phone number?!?

BumbleBeeDave
12-29-2011, 07:11 AM
Now more than ever, I realize there's one thing in the world of which there will NEVER EVER be a shortage, and that's people trying to find ways to make you pay for something that used to be free.

I needed to find a home phone number this morning for somebody locally. But the phone companies no longer provide phone books with home phones in them. So I go online--and every single $%#^&* search just leads to sites that want to SELL me all of this guy's contact info for $1 or a whole year of "unlimited searches" for $39.95.

Is this a customer service that is now extinct--to just look up a $#%&* phone number without paying?!? . . .

Rant over, but suggestions appreciated (besides heavy drinking) . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

Peter P.
12-29-2011, 07:21 AM
You sure it's a published number?

I had a similar problem; my mother wanted me to send a Christmas card on her behalf to a relative.

I used whitepages.com and came to the same grief you did. Somehow, by navigating the related results, I was able to produce the info I needed, including phone number.

Try the link I've provided below. Scroll down to Phone and E-Mail Information. Perhaps one or more of the links will lead you to the number you need.

http://home.comcast.net/~irasterb/

I do agree however, that the old phone book seemed to be more comprehensive and reliable than on-line resources. My area in CT still delivers both white and yellow pages.

rePhil
12-29-2011, 07:25 AM
They want money to keep our name & number out of our phone book, even though we quit the phone company and went with comcast.

jamesau
12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I have the free white and yellow pages app on my iPhone and it works as you'd hope it would.
Feel free to pm me the name/zip and I'll reply with result.

echelon_john
12-29-2011, 07:49 AM
infospace.com

people search

free

easy

carry on

oldpotatoe
12-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Now more than ever, I realize there's one thing in the world of which there will NEVER EVER be a shortage, and that's people trying to find ways to make you pay for something that used to be free.

I needed to find a home phone number this morning for somebody locally. But the phone companies no longer provide phone books with home phones in them. So I go online--and every single $%#^&* search just leads to sites that want to SELL me all of this guy's contact info for $1 or a whole year of "unlimited searches" for $39.95.

Is this a customer service that is now extinct--to just look up a $#%&* phone number without paying?!? . . .

Rant over, but suggestions appreciated (besides heavy drinking) . . . :rolleyes:

BBD

can't ya dial 1-411 still?

BumbleBeeDave
12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
. . . and that seems to do it reliably for free-but it looks like only for land lines. It reliably finds the guy I was looking for and my own address and land line, but for my girlfriend fins her address and land line she hasn't have for the past 3 years.

But it's certainly better than nothing! I'm on Verizon and their site has a lookup page--which doesn't work.

The Internet makes everything easier . . . what BS . . . :crap:

BBD

jlwdm
12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Don't see the problem. Seems like lots of ways to find on the internet.

I just tried someone as a test by using whitepages.com. Worked.

Not that I would ever have a home phone again.

Jeff

BumbleBeeDave
12-29-2011, 09:30 AM

Jeff

If you did this with whitepages.com I'd certainly like to know how.

I just tried it and after going through 3 screens, several ads, and a Netflix pop-up it took me to peoplefinder.com which wanted to chard me to get his phonenumber or $14.95 for a "monthly membership" . . .

http://www.peoplefinders.com/checkout/reportoffer.aspx?type=people-name&item-id=1-87267742&item-count=2&fn=Richard&mn=&ln=Sleeper&city=Schenectady&state=NY&sfn=RICHARD&smn=W&sln=SLEEPER&searchtype=people-name

Every place I found required me to enter a name AND street address. Same with Google. :crap:

I don't know his exact address. I just know what town he is in. Anywho got me the number with just that info and no pop-ups or ads.

BBD

akelman
12-29-2011, 09:31 AM

With a lawn so vast, Dave, it's going to get harder and harder to keep people off it.

Dekonick
12-29-2011, 09:36 AM

Jeff

Why not? You really should have an alarm system that is tied into a phone line. Not necessarily for theft (but it is a deterrent) but for fire protection. You can also still keep just ONE phone number... don't give out the home line, keep it unpublished - use your cell as your only phone. Get a Google phone number and use that as your only number - it allows you to have that line ring on any other lines you tell it to. I like having the ability to leave my cell on charge, and be able to pick up the phone calls on my land line.

Anyway, it might seem expensive to pay a monitoring fee, but it is cheap when you consider the potential cost. I will not own a homme that does not have an alarm system that has integrated smoke and CO alarms.

BumbleBeeDave
12-29-2011, 09:38 AM
With a lawn so vast, Dave, it's going to get harder and harder to keep people off it.

:D

I guess the only BS part is claims that it makes everything easier to find. Just frsutrating at times--horribly so--to know the info is out there but not know the secret to finding what seems like it should be simple to find!

BBD

deechee
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Move to Canada, we still have printed white pages and yellow pages, and our online directories are free. There's always your public library as well, I know mine has copies of white pages from across the country, come to think I think they have the US as well.

martinrjensen
12-29-2011, 11:21 AM
411 info is not free.can't ya dial 1-411 still?

BumbleBeeDave
12-29-2011, 11:41 AM
411 info is not free.

With live people, I mean. Or even with computer you can talk to . . . I haven't used it in so long that I honestly didn't think of it until OldPotatoe mentioned it.

BBD

oldpotatoe
12-29-2011, 11:53 AM
411 info is not free.

How do they charge you?

Last time(a while), they just asked what city, what name and gave the number.

Ken Robb
12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
How do they charge you?

Last time(a while), they just asked what city, what name and gave the number.

The 411 charge shows up on my phone bill. OTOH, Yahoo People Finder seems to be free and effective for me.

choke
12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Give zabasearch.com a try.

miguel
12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
the iphone app mr number is pretty good. always works for me.

bike22
12-29-2011, 01:53 PM
switchboard.com

DfCas
12-29-2011, 01:55 PM
I -think- most states require a printed directory for land line numbers, and it provides a vehicle for yellow page advertising. Of course larger areas seperate the white and yellow.

AFAIK, cell phone numbers are non published so telemarketers cant cost cell phone users minutes and money. We get a fromtier book here and 2 others that try to sell advertising. I show up in all of them in the yellow pages, but I only pay for frontier superpages.

bike22
12-29-2011, 02:13 PM
google had an awesome 1-800 based free 411 service but they shut it down in november.

Ti Designs
12-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Does my heart good to see someone else struggling with the modern world.

Charles M
12-29-2011, 02:50 PM
ZABASEARCH.COM

Free...

name, adress, phone etc

as long as you know the basics, the info available there is scary...

wingnut
12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
It is amazing how little privacy we have nowadays. There are A LOT of subscription sites that list our phone numbers. Unfortunately, you have to pay for this information.

chuckroast
12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
....so naturally I looked up myself. They did have every address I've ever lived at here in KC (going back 30+ years), but they did not have my current phone number (and I still have a plain old fully listed land line). They also had my birth date wrong.

bike22
12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
try www.spokeo.com

BumbleBeeDave
12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
. . . and see which one seems to work best. anywho.com got me what I needed.

Thanks!

BBD

jlwdm
12-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Why not? You really should have an alarm system that is tied into a phone line. Not necessarily for theft (but it is a deterrent) but for fire protection. You can also still keep just ONE phone number... don't give out the home line, keep it unpublished - use your cell as your only phone. Get a Google phone number and use that as your only number - it allows you to have that line ring on any other lines you tell it to. I like having the ability to leave my cell on charge, and be able to pick up the phone calls on my land line.

Anyway, it might seem expensive to pay a monitoring fee, but it is cheap when you consider the potential cost. I will not own a homme that does not have an alarm system that has integrated smoke and CO alarms.

Insurance company does not think it has any value.

Jeff

jlwdm
12-29-2011, 11:20 PM
If you did this with whitepages.com I'd certainly like to know how.

I just tried it and after going through 3 screens, several ads, and a Netflix pop-up it took me to peoplefinder.com which wanted to chard me to get his phonenumber or $14.95 for a "monthly membership" . . .

http://www.peoplefinders.com/checkout/reportoffer.aspx?type=people-name&item-id=1-87267742&item-count=2&fn=Richard&mn=&ln=Sleeper&city=Schenectady&state=NY&sfn=RICHARD&smn=W&sln=SLEEPER&searchtype=people-name

Every place I found required me to enter a name AND street address. Same with Google. :crap:

I don't know his exact address. I just know what town he is in. Anywho got me the number with just that info and no pop-ups or ads.

BBD

Nope. Just name and city; no pop-ups.

Jeff

JD Smith
12-30-2011, 01:05 AM
. . . and that seems to do it reliably for free-but it looks like only for land lines. It reliably finds the guy I was looking for and my own address and land line, but for my girlfriend fins her address and land line she hasn't have for the past 3 years.

But it's certainly better than nothing! I'm on Verizon and their site has a lookup page--which doesn't work.

BBD

Speaking of Verizon....
Verizon confirms $2 fee for online and over the phone payments
http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/29/2668228/verizon-confirms-2-fee-for-online-and-over-the-phone-payments

Louis
12-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Does my heart good to see someone else struggling with the modern world.

Ed, it's just another sign that you and Dave are getting older.

Ti Designs
12-30-2011, 05:49 AM
Ed, it's just another sign that you and Dave are getting older.

I stay the same, the world gets younger??? I was born without the ability to adapt to complexity, that's not going to change. I find it amusing that the world is getting to complex for others to use it too. Look how many number look-up sites are suggested just on this thread - half of them failed to get my number right. For me nothing has changed.

Dave has gotten older...