PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge 800 users... elevation issues?

bismo37
12-29-2011, 01:44 AM
Hey guys,

I just bought a new Edge 800, updated the software from the Garmin website and took it out for the first time today. The course I rode is very hilly, lots of rollers. I uploaded the 800's data at the end of the ride and it showed a steadily declining elevation profile. Nothing even close to resembling the actual ride elevation profile.

I live in Oregon. It was raining steadily for the ride as it does for most of the year in the NW. My previous Edge 305 never had a problem. It worked rain or shine.

Do you 800 users have problems with elevation reading in the rain? Apparently the little "port" that houses the barometric pressure sensor is at the front edge of the unit where I suppose water could accumulate.

Is this some other known issue?

I sent Garmin Support an email expressing my frustration... $450 for the unit and an additional $150 for map software. Not impressed.

Thanks for any replies!

1centaur
12-29-2011, 05:05 AM
The first thing is to let it find its elevation for longer before you start riding. It estimates elevation and my experience is that barometric altitude estimation algorithms tend to start high before getting more confirming data. Over many years with Garmin units, I have seen the tendency to lose elevation from the start until it's caught up with reality. Thereafter, better than prior altitude sensors - a little more sensitive to minor ups and downs.

So turn it on 20 minutes before you leave and then report back.

Jim Braley
12-29-2011, 12:15 PM
I have had the Edge 800 for a little over a year and love it. I did have some initial problems with elevation but it has now adjusted well and elevation is very accurate. I am having continuing problems with the HR monitor and am on my 4th strap in a year--Gramin continues to work with me and has replaced the strap each time it has become dysfunctional. Still not sure what the issue is--I personally think the straps are defective and should all be recalled but Garmin is not convinced of that yet. Anyhow the support staff has been very helpful and while the 800 is not cheap I persoanlly think it is worth the price.

ClutchCargo
01-17-2012, 08:56 AM
If it was raining, it is possible that moisture clogged the small port(s) in the unit that are used in order to calculate altitude. On rare occasions I have experienced this issue, and it reallyscrews up the calcuclations!