PDA

View Full Version : Mavic wheel rebuild

LegendRider
12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
A friend crashed recently and his nearly-new Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs (clincher) were destroyed. However, the hubs appear fine. Can he send the hubs back to have the wheels rebuilt? I know plenty of folks who have done it with Ksyriums - just not sure if they offer the same service for the Carbones. If so, any idea on price?

Thanks.

pitcrew
12-28-2011, 06:07 PM
I've rebuilt a couple of those wheels, not a big deal.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2011, 07:04 PM
A friend crashed recently and his nearly-new Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLs (clincher) were destroyed. However, the hubs appear fine. Can he send the hubs back to have the wheels rebuilt? I know plenty of folks who have done it with Ksyriums - just not sure if they offer the same service for the Carbones. If so, any idea on price?

Thanks.

Best is to have Mavic do it. A decent LBS can do it but your warranty is preserved if they do it. Ksyrium is about $250...have a LBS give Mavic a call.

Pete Serotta
12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
It will come back as new. Pete

Best is to have Mavic do it. A decent LBS can do it but your warranty is preserved if they do it. Ksyrium is about $250...have a LBS give Mavic a call.

gavingould
12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
If you have a trusted shop nearby that's really good with wheels, have them do it. I had 4 spokes replaced on a Ksyrium ES rear after a nasty encounter with a derailleur, good as new for around $60 instead of $250+ shipping, and probably a few weeks without the wheel.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2011, 07:43 AM
If you have a trusted shop nearby that's really good with wheels, have them do it. I had 4 spokes replaced on a Ksyrium ES rear after a nasty encounter with a derailleur, good as new for around $60 instead of $250+ shipping, and probably a few weeks without the wheel.

OP can do whatever he wants but if the 'wheels were destroyed', gonna be more than a few spokes. Yep any good wheelbuilder can do it but rim, complete set of spokes, for even one wheel is more than $60. I say again, let mavic do it, less $ in the long run and once more, get a warranty since you get a new wheel, hubs innards, etc.

LegendRider
12-29-2011, 08:53 AM
OP can do whatever he wants but if the 'wheels were destroyed', gonna be more than a few spokes. Yep any good wheelbuilder can do it but rim, complete set of spokes, for even one wheel is more than $60. I say again, let mavic do it, less $ in the long run and once more, get a warranty since you get a new wheel, hubs innards, etc.

My buddy needs rims and spokes - a complete rebuild - only the hubs can be salvaged. I'll send him to the LBS for the factory rebuild.

ultraman6970
12-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Sell the hubs at ebay and get a new set of wheels.

bikser
12-29-2011, 03:29 PM
If he's got a low deductible on his home owners or renters insurance have him check into a claim. Otherwise I agree sell the hubs and get a new set. You could have a good shop rebuild them, but the replacement costs for the rims and spokes would probably set him back most of the way towards a new set. I don't see that a Mavic warranty gets you much.

LegendRider
01-03-2012, 01:34 PM
My LBS says Mavic charges $400 to rebuild a Carbone SL front wheel and $450 for the rear (inc. shipping). Pretty steep...

LegendRider
01-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Sell the hubs at ebay and get a new set of wheels.

Do you think there is a market for the hubs alone?

LegendRider
01-26-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has thoughts on my dilemma. The bottom line is I have two perfectly nice and relatively new hubs from a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbones and don't know what to do with them. It's too pricey to rebuild the wheels and tossing the hubs seems wasteful. Any ideas?