PDA

View Full Version : Comp Cyclist/Bonktown hook-up

CNY rider
12-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Got my usual email offers from Competitive Cyclist today, and the lower 1/5 or so of the page is a plug and link for Bonktown.
These are not a natural match in my mind.
I don't think this bodes well for CC's future. It just seems like they are going to get subsumed into the internet retailing empire that purchased them.
Thoughts?

rice rocket
12-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah, they haven't solidified their "marketing message", and they driving the brand into the ground. Sad.

Charles M
12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
And yet I know 3 people that got bikes through them just over the holidays and all of them were raving over the customer service experience...

Maybe they do fall off the planet, but right now they still seem to be above average...

CNY rider
12-28-2011, 03:19 PM
And yet I know 3 people that got bikes through them just over the holidays and all of them were raving over the customer service experience...

Maybe they do fall off the planet, but right now they still seem to be above average...

I don't think there's any issues now, but where are they headed? Bonktown is a whole 'nother level of service.

Nooch
12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I'd almost venture that the person producing the e-mails might have just used the wrong template..

But then again, I suppose we'll see what tomorrow's e-mail looks like.

Regardless, once Rapha stuff hits Bonktown maybe I'll be able to afford it...

bike22
12-28-2011, 03:52 PM
i've never found anything good on bonktown, maybe i need to check it more?

beeatnik
12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
The secondary Capo and Castelli lines (Riserva, Duran, etc) which were only available through Real Cyclist and discounted on Bonktown are now all over CC. Also, CC has acquired a bigger inventory on last season's Mavic shoes. Biggest change for me has been the faster delivery, 2 days to the West Coast with economy shipping. Anyway, the acquisition could reap dividends for both parties if they each maintain their separate identities. The three tier structure seems to be a good model for exploiting inefficiencies in the market. They're kind of following the Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy/Old Navy Outlet model. The key is to not sell cashmere at the Gap or $12 colognes at Banana Republic.

rice rocket
12-28-2011, 05:15 PM
They're kind of following the Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy/Old Navy Outlet model. The key is to not sell cashmere at the Gap or $12 colognes at Banana Republic.

Not sure that analogy applies. Styles and quality of work vary between the 3 Gap brands. CC and Bonktown are selling the same items...

Shipping service from both have always been good, I don't think that's the issue here. CC essentially captured the "high end" internet retail market in the past. Buyers were price insensitive and bought there for the return policy and/or helpful customer service. On the other hand, Bonktown buyers were those who buy bargains. By putting Bonktown ads in their CC email blasts, IMHO it shows they have no idea who their target demographic is.

54ny77
12-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Of course I'll probably get jinxed for saying this, but I've always had great service and follow up as needed from bonktown the past few years. Just had an issue on a really, really trivial item a couple of weeks ago, and someone personally called me the next day after I sent in the email detailing the situation. They took care of it far and beyond my expectations--offered to ship the part to me but we ultimately settled on them giving me a refund that was probably 10x what it would cost for me to go and buy the part at an LBS.

I don't think there's any issues now, but where are they headed? Bonktown is a whole 'nother level of service.

beeatnik
12-28-2011, 06:12 PM
I buy from all three and I think the merger presents more opportunities to become an informed consumer. Also, it could help CC move out of the deep discount segment and focus on truly high end offerings (since they don't always operate in that fashion presently). Each site has a primary focus- Bonktown is the liquidator, RC is the discounter and CC is the deluxe super store. Even if there seems to be overlap between RC and CC, RC carries mainly past season items and its inventory is generally lacking. Need Park's chain cleaner (not a luxury item)? You're better off buying it from CC since RC has a scattershot selection of Park and other major brands. What Bonktown and RC bring to the table is logistics...lalala...what's the UPS jingle?

benitosan1972
12-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Not a fan of Bonktown or eBay for that matter... I'd rather spend my time riding or sleeping or eating cookies, than to sit in front of the computer watching auctions or deals pop-up.

*yes, I've heard of notifications & such, but still... I'd rather buy something I want when I need it for a good price, rather than waiting for someone to dangle it in front of me then fight with a million other Internet shoppers... NO THANKS.

**C/C has always been good. Prices, shipping, customer service, etc. I hope it stays that way.

kgreene10
12-29-2011, 12:38 AM
I have ordered a fair amount from both CC and Bonktown. Customer service was superb from both, with one recent notable exception.

During CC's 12 Days of Christmas, I put a sale item into my cart. I got distracted and came back to it a couple of days later, adding five new items. When I went to check out, the first item from days earlier was still there. I was happy about that and paid for all six items. A few days later I got an informal e-mail from someone at CC saying that the first item wasn't available. I was a little annoyed that their system had let me go through with the purchase, at the delay, and that there was no "sorry about that" in the note. A little courtesy goes a long way. The note was also pretty vague, so I replied to find out what CC planned to do with my payment. This turned into 7 e-mails involving two different CC employees. As part of this communication, I was told the other five items would ship. Three days later I get another note asking if I wanted to have the five items shipped! The whole thing was pretty silly.

borapt
12-29-2011, 01:51 AM
I think it's a decent idea. CC customers overlap with BT and RC customers. Honestly though, RC isn't that great of a discounter most of the time, but their customer service is pretty good. BT is great for those starting out - I know I bought several jerseys/wheels/pedals (I still have some Time RXS's from them kicking around somewhere...) from them. I've sort of advanced up - as you get more into cycling, you're willing to spend more.

This of course doesn't really apply to those who can just buy without thinking of the price. There's people who just dive into it and buy a 5k$ bike, only to sell it in a month or so when they don't like riding.

cfox
12-29-2011, 04:52 AM
For me, as far as 'customer service' is concerned with e-commerce, all I care about is the return policy. I won't order from anywhere that has a re-stocking fee or any BS like that. CC has always had a liberal, LL Bean-like NQA return policy, and I assumed that was one of the reasons they were able to charge full retail over the web. I just discovered the Realcyclist has the same 60 day NQA return policy. I wonder if they always have, or if that is something new since Brendan arrived there?

moose8
12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
I just discovered the Realcyclist has the same 60 day NQA return policy. I wonder if they always have, or if that is something new since Brendan arrived there?

I'm pretty sure it used to be 30 days until very recently. That said, they were generally pretty good if you ran into issues about returns. I got a great bike for cheap there probably two years ago, but it did involve a fair bit of hassle - they shipped me a size too small because the salesman independently decided it was my size after I gave him my measurements but didn't tell me he was going to switch it out for the size I had agreed upon. They paid for all the shipping back in forth, but at the time it did leave me without a bike for a month or so to sort out. But in the end I was happy with the bike and price.

Litespeed_Mike
12-29-2011, 08:57 AM
I've always had superb customer service and turnaround from CC and the Backcountry.com family of websites.

What I'm hoping doesn't change:

1. Awesome and VERY amusing product descriptions from Backcountry.com websites [1].
2. Crazy stupid deals everyday on backcountry.com websites on cycling gear. That is, once you weave through the gawd awful ugly tri suits and other crap...

3. Almost annoyingly artistic photos of every. last. detail. on products at Competitive Cyclist

4. Incredibly thoughtful product analysis and amusing bias on the CC website/blog. It makes me laugh.

5. Most importantly, RIDICULOUS fire-sale level deals and closeouts on Competitive Cyclist. It's almost bipolar on that website - you can buy the most premium goods are retail prices and pick up deals that make you feel bad because it was so cheap and it should be considered theft.

[1] Shimano America Dura-Ace Hollowtech Double Crankset:
Mmm…sexy sexy. The Shimano Dura-Ace Hollowtech II Double Crankset is stiffer than a frozen boner, flashier than Liberace, and lighter and hotter than a pair of titanium panties. The sleek two-piece design, oversized spindle and hollow-forged crankarms trim every last gram of fat while simultaneously boosting system rigidity. Near-seamless construction means unmatched power transmission to the custom machine-lightened Dura-Ace chainrings, pickle-crisp shifting, and a lust factor that will parch the salivary glands of your comrades.

Bottom Line:
If it were legal, we'd marry it.

Charles M
12-29-2011, 02:05 PM
By putting Bonktown ads in their CC email blasts, IMHO it shows they have no idea who their target demographic is.

I know those guys and can tell you without hesitation that they know exactly who their target demographic is.

They're probably more customer tuned than any place else in cycling (leaps ahead of most...).

The same folks that will geek out on a high dollar bike build doesnt at all mind seeing a one off "groupon" type steal deal now and again.

It's one of those impulse steals that darn near speaks to the entire cycling demographic. The individual item might not, but the ability to put those impulse deals in front of their audience doesnt say anything more than "here's a deal".

If they put an 8,000 bike up on bonk town and let people spec the parts, then maybe there's something to talk about...

peanutgallery
12-29-2011, 04:36 PM
as with any merger, give it time. He who writes the check for the deal ultimately calls the shots - especially in the long run, not the other way around. Real Cyclist will mine what they want an to their benefit and ditch the rest

an aside, I did get a chuckle at how the CC blog has tried to call out Real Cyclist's competition as it were over the last few weeks. funny when you think about who the new master is and where they, too get their stuff to pawn on the internet at such low prices

Louis
12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
I've never understood the Bonktown business model.

When I need bike stuff I go out and purchase it. BT seems to me to be an impulse-buy sort of thing - like the candy bars at the supermarket checkout line. And everyone knows that that's bad for you. My impulse buying is limited to the Classifieds here. No sense in worsening the heroin-like addiction by moving up to crack on BT.

54ny77
12-29-2011, 05:30 PM
i get the bonktown emails daily (i think?), and probably 29 out of 30 days of the month i just delete 'em.

it's only through the occasional click, and seeing something of interest right then & there, that i've actually bought something. that, or a "psa" on here if i happen upon it.

bonktown is like sitting down at big dim sum restaurant. bunch of platters passing by, thanks but no thanks, but occasionally an "oh! that's good, i'll have one please." :banana:

When I need bike stuff I go out and purchase it. BT seems to me to be an impulse-buy sort of thing - like the candy bars at the supermarket checkout line. And everyone knows that that's bad for you. My impulse buying is limited to the Classifieds here. No sense in worsening the heroin-like addiction by moving up to crack on BT.

jlwdm
12-29-2011, 05:57 PM
CC's 12 days of Christmas was a real disappointment this year compared to last year. Easier on the wallet though.

In 2011 CC had some unbelievable sales - like I have not seen from them before.

Jeff

echappist
01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Just bought the following (2 of each and returning half) from the Capo Riserva line

CC pricing, Real Cyclist pricing

LS Jersey: 48 vs 72
Knee warmer: 18 vs 27
Arm warmer: 16 vs 24, but paid 24 as they didn't have the size i needed. I figure $8 is worth the return shipping, and thought it'd be rude to cancel the order as the customer service rep spent 30+ minutes with me
Leg warmer: 28 vs 42

Called up real cyclist, and it took quite a bit of effort for them to price match their sibling company sells. They said that the inventories are still being merged.

pdmtong
01-06-2012, 02:34 PM

the way to mitigate is to choose the delayed ship option, which applies to everything except large items like wheels or bikes. you nab the deal you THINK you want, then you can call back in a few days and cancel it.

I have been scarfing luna clothing for my 12yo daughter. the stuff is excellent, and even more so at 70% off.

the endless parade of cheap single speeds is maddening. I'd hate to have just bought one, then found another I'd rather have a few days later

rice rocket
01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
How is the Capo stuff?

They have a $60 thermal "jacket" that looks more like a jersey than anything.

echappist
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
How is the Capo stuff?

They have a $60 thermal "jacket" that looks more like a jersey than anything.
don't know, but it's priced similarly to the bottom of the line Castelli stuff that i have (Ganna Jacket). The material is very nice, and i've worn it down to 15-20F with windchill in the high teens.

this is my first foray into buying Capo stuff. word on the street is that they are quality stuff

Nooch
01-06-2012, 03:57 PM
the capo verona knickers can't be beat, but don't have a jacket..

Nags&Ducs
01-07-2012, 07:52 PM
I just want to score a DeRosa Neo Primato for $990 like BT/CC had a year ago! If CC starts having blowouts like that.... :banana:

oldpotatoe
01-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Got my usual email offers from Competitive Cyclist today, and the lower 1/5 or so of the page is a plug and link for Bonktown.
These are not a natural match in my mind.
I don't think this bodes well for CC's future. It just seems like they are going to get subsumed into the internet retailing empire that purchased them.
Thoughts?

Know somebody who knows the owners of Colorado Cyclist. Their gross is somewhat like 1/2 of what it was before the 'Great Online Bike Part Place, explosion, worldwide. Owning a LBS is very competitive, online bike stuff competition is much more so, particularly with their 'nut' being defined by volume(as opposed to item margin).

Some of the online places will make it, some won't.

See Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, others.