PDA

View Full Version : 29er standover

rpettet
12-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Will a 29er standover always be higher than a 26 wheeled bike? I purchased a new 29er hardtail and toptube touches crotch even with cycling shoes on. Should I go down one size? Very stupid about Mt. bikes. Thanks for help.

gdw
12-28-2011, 11:21 AM
"Will a 29er standover always be higher than a 26 wheeled bike?"

It depends upon the frame design. Generally 29ers have higher bottom brackets than 26 inch bikes so they need to have lower top tubes to allow the same standover as you would have on the same size 26 inch bike. Most manufacturers list the standover height in their geometry charts. If you study the charts you'll find that standover can vary by almost 2 inches for medium frames with the same top tube length.

"Should I go down one size?"

Your frame choice should be based upon top tube length. Find the correct tt length and then make sure you have enough standover so that you can straddle the bike without contact.

Jack Brunk
12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
"Will a 29er standover always be higher than a 26 wheeled bike?"

It depends upon the frame design. Generally 29ers have higher bottom brackets than 26 inch bikes so they need to have lower top tubes to allow the same standover as you would have on the same size 26 inch bike. Most manufacturers list the standover height in their geometry charts. If you study the charts you'll find that standover can vary by almost 2 inches for medium frames with the same top tube length.

"Should I go down one size?"

Your frame choice should be based upon top tube length. Find the correct tt length and then make sure you have enough standover so that you can straddle the bike without contact.

++1

d_man16
12-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Will a 29er standover always be higher than a 26 wheeled bike? I purchased a new 29er hardtail and toptube touches crotch even with cycling shoes on. Should I go down one size? Very stupid about Mt. bikes. Thanks for help.

There may be some logic outside of my following argument that completely negates it, so if anyone is privy to it please add it.

The nature of trail riding dictates a certain number of routine "Stumbles" I prefer to leave room to "breath"

Plenty of air in-between the two at least 3"

~D

Seott-e
12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Should be about the same. The BB height on a 29 should be the same as a 26.

DfCas
12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
I've had about 5 26'ers and about 5 29'rs and I've never noticed a difference in standover height. The 29'rs have more bb drop so the top tube ends up in the same place.

The headtube may be higher, so near the front end the top tube may be taller, particularly in small sizes. I ride a large, or 19-20", so I've never noticed it.

peanutgallery
12-31-2011, 09:30 AM
stick to the TT length, standover will vary brand to brand and the BB is weasled to be where it should always be. I feel that if you go short on the TT with a 29er you lose one of the greatest benefits of the wheel size, super neutral stability and the wheel size works for you as it were. I actually went up a size and have been happy. have fun