PDA

View Full Version : Other reasons why Colorado is great

flydhest
12-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Got to ride today, late December, wool base layer and long sleeve jersey. Sunshine next to snow is a wonderful thing.

Also, and more importantly, earlier in the day took a trip down to Boulder and got to meet Old Potato and spend time in Vecchio's, his shop. Great shop, wonderful feel, witty conversation, the works. My wife, who is new to cycling, said, "this is what a bike shop should be." She is a very perceptive, intuitive woman.

Jeff N.
12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Now, if you're ready for 77 degree sunshine without the snow, but ocean instead, catch a plane to San Diego! But yes, CO is quite nice. Got lots of family up north, Eaton/Ft. Collins area. Jeff N.

Dan Le foot
12-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Colorado cycling is our favorite, flydhest.
Love the Breck/Vail/Leadville area especially. And Mt Evans was the most epic climb of all......in the summer.
It was 72 in North San Diego County inland today and that was good as well.
Dan

dauwhe
12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
And to think I used to live in Colorado. Today's ride? 39 degrees and rain.

konstantkarma
12-27-2011, 10:28 PM
I am always thankful I married a Boulder girl from a big family. In-laws in Boulder, Aspen, Longmont, and Denver. My wife never has to ask me twice to visit her family! Enjoy the sunshine and the snow!

roydyates
12-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Usually Colorado is great, but right now the ski areas are 3 feet of snow short of perfection.

mgm777
12-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Usually Colorado is great, but right now the ski areas are 3 feet of snow short of perfection.

Yup, coverage is thin right now. Psssst...Wolf Creek, down South, in the San Juans, is rockin a 60 inch base. Smaller place, but always great snow. ;)

mgm777
12-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Now, if you're ready for 77 degree sunshine without the snow, but ocean instead, catch a plane to San Diego! But yes, CO is quite nice. Got lots of family up north, Eaton/Ft. Collins area. Jeff N.

Jeff - If I wasn't living here, I'd be in SD in a heartbeat. My wife's family is in SD and OC. I loved my 16 years in OC (Irvine and Newport).

majorpat
12-28-2011, 01:28 AM
39 degrees and steady cold rain isn't cycling heaven?

oldpotatoe
12-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Got to ride today, late December, wool base layer and long sleeve jersey. Sunshine next to snow is a wonderful thing.

Also, and more importantly, earlier in the day took a trip down to Boulder and got to meet Old Potato and spend time in Vecchio's, his shop. Great shop, wonderful feel, witty conversation, the works. My wife, who is new to cycling, said, "this is what a bike shop should be." She is a very perceptive, intuitive woman.

And a beauty to boot(along with your beautiful daughter). Thanks for coming in, great to meet formites, thank you for the kind words. Looking forward to another nice Boulder day, hopefully to get rid of some of the accumulated snow and ice on the side roads.

Aaron O
12-28-2011, 12:49 PM
I was in Colorado for the first time two weeks back (Denver) and I couldn't get over how beautiful the weather was. 20 degrees in Colorado felt warmer than 40 in Philadelphia...the air was dry and pleasant, the people were friendly...loved it! One of the things that really wowed me were how many used book and record shops there were...I felt like I was on a college campus in 1992.

The only down sides were the food - not impressed at ALL. Philly has terrific food...especially ethnic food...and nothing I ate in Denver would make it in Philadelphia. I also thought the huge statue of the Bronco outside of the airport was incomplete - it should have John Elway's eyes in it...preserved from behind by refrigeration.

Louis
12-28-2011, 01:17 PM
The nicest difference I've found between CO and MO is that in CO you're not considered an idiot for doing outdoor stuff like cycling. In MO, other than huntin' and fishin', outdoor activities are pretty much for weirdos. In CO cycling is a mainstream activity. Of course, there are some parts of CO that don't appreciate cyclists either, but I get the feeling that they are a distinct minority.

Aaron O
12-28-2011, 03:38 PM
The nicest difference I've found between CO and MO is that in CO you're not considered an idiot for doing outdoor stuff like cycling. In MO, other than huntin' and fishin', outdoor activities are pretty much for weirdos. In CO cycling is a mainstream activity. Of course, there are some parts of CO that don't appreciate cyclists either, but I get the feeling that they are a distinct minority.

Louis - everyone I met there was into some outdoor activity or another...hiking, cycling, skiing...etc. When you asked someone what they were doing over the weekend they'd answer camping. The friend I was staying with called it crunchy granola. The REI I went to out there was mind blowing.

Honey
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I miss it so much. I feel so silly for leaving and will hopefully return. It is beautiful and one thing I can't stress enough is the air. There is so much to be said about dry high altitude air- 30 and sunny is Tshirt weather and 75 isn't sweaty. To nerd out for a sec, I think the specific heat is lower because of the density (combination of dryness vs humidity + altitude) so the flux of heat and moisture in and out of the body makes it feel much more comfortable. I also love big mountains- nuff said.

Jeff N.
12-29-2011, 11:17 AM
When I was in the USAF I spent some time at Lowry AFB, in Aurora, for tech school. Hated it. Every minute. Probably the most miserable time of my life. But I heard it's closed down now. Good riddance.