PDA

View Full Version : Rapidly Improving Rapid T

Sandy
08-07-2005, 06:59 PM
It is a real pleasure to see a cyclist really enjoy cycling. It is especially gratifying to see marked improvement in a friend that you cycle with.

Today, I went on a basically flat ride of about 64 miles, with Rapid Tourist. She had not been riding much recently, almost exclusively on her fixed gear bike. We both started a little tired, but as the ride went on, I made some observations about Rapid T and her cycling:

1. She anticipates hills very well, which she is climbing substantially better than before. It appears as if she developed a strategy in climbing hills.

2. She exhibits more power in all aspects of her cycling , especialy on the flats and hills. On the way back from our main rest stop at about 32 miles, she steadily increased her effort and pace, exhibiting a steady smooth cadence, always mainainig a nice pedal stroke.

3. On a couple of downhill/flat sections she started to really push. I would work to catch up to her, and would sometimes pass her, only to be caught and passed by Rapid T, smiling as she passed the old man.

It was a real pleasure watching her ride so well and enjoy trying to make road kill out of me.

The "new" Rapid T gave a lot of credit to her fixed gear riding, which she feels has really improved her pedal stroke.

I am seeing a surgeon tomorrow to see if I can get 2 bionic legs for future rides with the Rapid One.

I think that it is time for a fixed gear for Sandy.

Awesome job, Rapid T!

Sandy

Smiley
08-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Sandy was the Tourista riding her Serotta ? or the Blue Jay Blue fixee ?

Sandy
08-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Her Serotta.

Serotta PETE
08-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Glad to see Rapid Tourist and Sandy back,,,as wellas riding.

Rapid Tourist
08-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Sandy and I had a blast on a long ride on Sunday. Its always a pleasure to share the road with someone who loves cycling as much as I do. I doubt I have improved as much as Sandy says, but I do feel that fixed gear riding (which I do almost exclusively now) has helped me take riding to the next level. It really teaches how to put more power to the peddles and how to handle hills.

We need another Merryland serotta forum ride soon!! :banana:

sc53
08-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Rapid T and Sandy--where did you do your flat ride of so many miles? I would love to try a fixed gear bike but would definitely need to ride it for awhile on the flats before I tried a hilly course with it. I could turn my CSI into a fixee or else get a frame off eBay for the same purpose. Rapid T, what kind of frame do you have for your fixed gear? Like Sandy, I currently do most of my riding on a plush Ottrott. I'd like to join you two sometime, though Sandy will not be writing such a glowing report of my "pedal stroke" etc. I fear. Oh well, I truly enjoy the riding I do, whether elegant or not.
--Sarah :D

Smiley
08-08-2005, 08:07 AM
sc53 , it may not be a dumb idea to turn that marvelous CSI into a fixee , all you'll need is a White Industry ENO hub laced to your exsisting rear rim , you can re-use every thing else on your bike , except you'll need a new chain , rear cog and new front chain ring . Sandy may one day do what we have asked him to do with his collecting dust CSI and fix it too . You'll love it besides what you going to ride with us this winter ?
Go see my man Fred at Spokes he can get it all done for you .

Rapid Tourist
08-08-2005, 09:02 AM
SC53--Sandy and I would be delighted to have you join us for a ride. On Sunday we started at the beginning of the W&OD in Alexandria (Shirlington) and rode to the sandwich shop in Loudon County (Ashburn, maybe?) and then returned. We'd be delighted to have you join sometime. :beer:

Also, I recommend fixed gear riding for anyone who is trying to improve their peddal stroke, hill climbing, etc. regardless of the your level. I think anyone can benefit from fixing, from beginners to experts. Plus its just flat out fun. :banana:

My fixed bike is a steel cyclocross frame with semi horizontal dropouts. Its pictured here. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=7499

Smiley, we really need to get Sandy's CSI fixed. I think he would really enjoy it! I can do the mechanical work!

Sandy
08-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Great ride, great company, and great subs! Please join us in the future. It's Rapid T's time to treat for the subs.

Submarine Sandy

sc53
08-08-2005, 09:59 AM
@Wow,RapidT, nice light blue Oswald bike! I don't know that brand but the bike looks absolutely beautiful. My CSI is dark green, but if all I need is a new rear hub and the fixed gears, I could get the changes done next weekend! Smiley, I know your man Fred at Spokes very well, a dog bit his lip in half this spring but his smile is back as good as ever now. I kind of hate to part with my Record 8 sp on the CSI, though. I don't know, maybe I need yet a third road frame!
Sandy and Rapid, please let me know next time you do the W&OD. I am on vacation next week but after Aug. 20 I'll be back and ready to try and keep up with you.

Smiley
08-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Fred was trying to french kiss that dog

Rapid Tourist
08-08-2005, 11:00 AM
SC-- did you notice my pooch?????? She's better looking than the bike :p We'll send you a PM regarding our next VA ride.

Sorry to hear about Fred...

Sandy
08-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Fred better stay with bikes. You better have excellent trust in a dog before you stick your face in front of him or her. I tend to make evaluations very quickly, probably too quickly, relative to how much trust that I can give a particular dog. A dog that seems so friendly in one situation or set of circumstances may react very differently in another.

Whenever I put my face in front of Rapid T's awesome Chesapeake Bay Retriever, she gives me lots of kisses (licks). I tried the same thing with Rapid T, and I got slapped about 10 times. :)

Slaphappy Sandy