PDA

View Full Version : Brew your own beer ...

jerome
12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Check this

Anyone has one already ?

Expensive but look funny ?
I would have like something more "experimental" geeky

http://www.williamswarn.com/

best

for me Champagne please like Anquetil :beer:

buck-50
12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Considering $100 will get you a halfway decent beer making kit and $250 will get you really well set up, I'm gonna say that this thing is kinda overkill.

Louis
12-27-2011, 04:05 PM
At that price you might as well fly to Belgium, join a monastery, and learn to do it the right way. :beer:

gdw
12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
$5660 nz$ = $4384 us$ :eek:

schneiderrd
12-27-2011, 05:38 PM
That's 487 six packs of Sierra Nevada. I don't drink enough beer to make this thing worth while.

maximus
12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Seven days seems pretty short.

The all-in-one system is an cool concept. I can't tell if you have to use their ingredient kits or if you can experiment.

If anything, they have their marketing game pretty tight. I imagine these are finding homes somewhere.

I'll stick to my $20 glass carboy for now... :beer:

d_man16
12-27-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that 7 days is going just barely going to get you through primary fermentation.

But I have to say it looks cool.....Give it 6 months and Rapha will have logo on it.

~ D

BumbleBeeDave
12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
And DIDN'T tell us or trot it out for the Rhode Island Red Ramble?!?!

BAN HIM! BAN HIM!!!

:hello: :p

BBD

R2D2
12-28-2011, 06:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that 7 days is going just barely going to get you through primary fermentation.

But I have to say it looks cool.....Give it 6 months and Rapha will have logo on it.

~ D

I've brewed for years. A week is too short. Usually an ale has a three day primary fermenation. The needs a 7 to 10 day diacetyl rest. Then you crash the temperature to clear the beer (forces yeast to floculate).
While a "fancy" idea it belongs in a Sharper Image catalog.
First it only allows brewing from DME ( dried malt extract) which is much more expensive and less precise and less flexible than whole grain. Then you are stuck with one flavor. Most home brewers now of days use Corny kegs and and carbonate the keg while a new new batch is fermenting.
Anyway for the price you can get some excellent pro-level brewing equipment from More Beer. You be better off just buying a kegarator and buying 5 gallon kegs from the local Total Wine or such.

Finally if you brew there are now shortcuts. It takes time and labor. You must keep everything extremely clean and sanitized.

d_man16
12-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Finally if you brew there are now shortcuts. It takes time and labor. You must keep everything extremely clean and sanitized.

Shortcuts?

I'm interested.

~D

R2D2
12-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Shortcuts?

I'm interested.

~D
Meant no shortcuts........... Ooops.

palincss
12-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Shortcuts?

I'm interested.

~D

He said "now shortcuts," but I think he meant "no shortcuts."

moose8
12-28-2011, 03:53 PM
I think it'd be crazy to buy something like this. I think a point of homebrewing is not just instant gratification, but enjoying the process of making something that turns out tasty and gets tastier (assuming bottle conditioned, to a point) the longer you wait. If you just want really good beer instantly, $4000 buys a ton of the best beers in the world.

jerome
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I like beer a lot but in EU you can only find large brewer production or a few independent at try high price and no great taste (they sell you coolness not beer) so you have often better time to go for wine and Champagne !
Champagne is good, for the winers, and was Anquetil favorite drink even when he was not wining.
Good win is hard to find too.
We are loosing all our values ;-)

:beer:

charliedid
12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Over at the brewing forum they are wondering why people would buy a $10,000 bike.

harlond
12-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Over at the brewing forum they are wondering why people would buy a $10,000 bike.Made me laugh.

palincss
12-28-2011, 06:11 PM

palincss
12-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Over at the brewing forum they are wondering why people would buy a $10,000 bike.

It's really not the same at all. Cyclists have no difficulty understanding what someone would see in a 10K bicycle. People who brew beer seem to have trouble understanding why you'd want a contraption like this.

Of course, they're overlooking the fact that you can use it to make seltzer...

Dekonick
12-28-2011, 07:58 PM
I can see easily spending $5k on a brewing setup. But why on God's earth would you make one so small?!?

IF you are going to spend that kind of cash, you probably do a full mash. And you probably also grow your yeast. It is NOT worth the effort to make such a small batch - at least not in my opinion. Bigger batch, with large yeast cultures = less chance of off strains getting any chance to F-up your beer.

This contraption looks like one of those foolish glod bikes encrusted with gems... something for a magazine print... but not to ride.

I do know several folks with larger uni-tanks and almost commercial brew set up in their home. The beer is pretty darn good!

Oh, and just because your fermenter can hold 30 gallons does not mean you need to brew a 30 gallon batch... but at least you CAN.

Still, neat looking set up there... just too small for the investment (unless you live in NYC and live in a shoebox...)

:beer:

Dekonick
12-28-2011, 07:59 PM
It's really not the same at all. Cyclists have no difficulty understanding what someone would see in a 10K bicycle. People who brew beer seem to have trouble understanding why you'd want a contraption like this.

:)

Dekonick
12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
After a closer look, *** is this thing? No thanks... Reminds me of a bread maker. Something that doesn't even make good bread.

I'll pass...

Something like this is a MUCH better option. : http://stores.mdhb.com/-strse-1398/14.5-Fermenator-Conical-NPT/Detail.bok

I have seen this one... a nice option for the mash and boil. http://stores.mdhb.com/-strse-1566/Ruby-Street-Brewery--dsh-Complete/Detail.bok

Together you have a fantastic set to brew 15 gallon batches - I would never go less than that as it is not worth the effort.

:)

Relax - have a homebrew!

charliedid
12-29-2011, 06:57 AM

Yes, and you can use a bike to steal a cake.