PDA

View Full Version : Spoke length round up or down

jgspin
12-27-2011, 12:59 AM
My wheel build calls for 285 mm spokes but they seem to only offer even number length spokes. Would 284 mm spokes be ok or 286 be better? Would 12 mm brass nipples be ok or should I opt for 14 mm? Thanks.

Also for a 20 hole front wheel is radial lacing ok or is 1x better? I'm 125 lbs +-. Thanks.

Louis
12-27-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm not a wheelbuilder, but I bet that they'll tell you to go longer rather than shorter.

Even though the first few threads take a large % of the load, it's still a good idea to have the spoke pulling as "high" up as possible in the nipple, where it transfers the load to the eyelet (or rim). If the spoke is too short that happens lower down on the nipple, which is not as desirable.

TimmyB
12-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Well, I have only built a handful of wheels, so I am no professional by any means.

That being said - I'd always go longer rather than shorter. Worst case scenario the spokes poke through the rim and you risk puncturing a tube. Taking a file to the spokes solves that (if there even is an issue).

That is a much better scenario than having spokes that are too short / do not adequately thread into the nipples.

In other words, if the spokes end up being (slightly) too long, it is pretty easy to take material away. On the contrary, it is basically impossible to add material.

Good luck!

benitosan1972
12-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Spoke length = longer is better than shorter
20-hole front wheel = radial is fine, esp since you're a lightweight

Louis
12-27-2011, 01:27 AM
In other words, if the spokes end up being (slightly) too long, it is pretty easy to take material away. On the contrary, it is basically impossible to add material.

Of course if the nipple bottoms out on a spoke that is way too long, then you're also screwed, but I doubt that happens very often. (I supposed you could extend the threads farther down the spoke, but you'd need the right tools.)

oldpotatoe
12-27-2011, 07:34 AM
My wheel build calls for 285 mm spokes but they seem to only offer even number length spokes. Would 284 mm spokes be ok or 286 be better? Would 12 mm brass nipples be ok or should I opt for 14 mm? Thanks.

Also for a 20 hole front wheel is radial lacing ok or is 1x better? I'm 125 lbs +-. Thanks.

Who is 'they' and only even lengths?

DT spokes? Lotsa places(like me, for Comps and Revs, silver and black) offer spokes in every mm.

Why not 2 cross on the front? 1 cross isn't 'better' than radial.

But if ya gotta round somewhere, round up.

ultraman6970
12-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Sincerelly wont make any difference (at least for me doesnt, for other's it will) go shorter or long. u will be off 1 mm anyways, rims while u apply tension compress a tiny bit also.

Nipples? no idea what to tell you.

If you did calculations for radial go ahead, i'm with potato radial is better than 1x, I rather 2x anyways, if you do 2x you will need longer spokes obviously.

Good luck.

Bob Loblaw
12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Doesn't matter. In my experience, each spoke in a set will come +/- 1mm against the desired length anyway.

BL

cmg
12-27-2011, 08:37 PM
i recently bought parts for a build, rounded up and went with the 12mm nipples. on the rear the spokes were about 2mm apart in lenght, longer on non-drive but when built the spokes were pokin through on the drive side and didn't quite top out on the longer non-drive side.

oldguy00
12-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Out of interest, why is radial better than 1 cross? I thought any cross (1, 2 or 3) does a better job of spreading out the stress on the flange?
Thx

oldpotatoe
12-28-2011, 07:41 AM
Out of interest, why is radial better than 1 cross? I thought any cross (1, 2 or 3) does a better job of spreading out the stress on the flange?
Thx

1 cross does nothing, along with radial, unless you are looking for a TT front wheel with oval or bladed spikes and low spoke count.

mister
12-28-2011, 10:28 AM
i always round down
hate to see spokes protruding through the nipples...

jgspin
12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Who is 'they' and only even lengths?

DT spokes? Lotsa places(like me, for Comps and Revs, silver and black) offer spokes in every mm.

Why not 2 cross on the front? 1 cross isn't 'better' than radial.

But if ya gotta round somewhere, round up.

I searched for Sapim cxray spokes and all the sites on the first page listed just even length spokes. I could get them in odd sizes but I think they charge extra but I didn't confirm. I could even get them rolled to size here locally at the odd size but I wanted the lighter silver Sapims which they don't have here.

Also the reason I asked about radial vs 1x is because I have on hand spokes that are the right length for the 1x lacing.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2011, 05:39 PM
I searched for Sapim cxray spokes and all the sites on the first page listed just even length spokes. I could get them in odd sizes but I think they charge extra but I didn't confirm. I could even get them rolled to size here locally at the odd size but I wanted the lighter silver Sapims which they don't have here.

Also the reason I asked about radial vs 1x is because I have on hand spokes that are the right length for the 1x lacing.

1 cross won't hurt anything. If ya got the pokes, use them.

saab2000
12-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Round up. You do not want the spoke end to be inside the nipple. You want it to be flush with, or protrude from a tiny amount, the end of the nipple. This extra material supports the nipple which is trying to be pulled through the rim. When it is under tension the beveled sides are under stress and if not supported in the middle by the spoke material they can crack and fail. I have seen it happen.