PDA

View Full Version : Painting Ti...

Dekonick
12-26-2011, 10:18 PM
My bike is getting an update with Tom Kellog. Kelly Bedford was nice enough to undertake a special project for me and cut my Hors and install S&S couplers... but was not able to easily finish the paint the way I wanted. I respect his decision as he did not want to tread in Serotta territory. I wanted polished Ti with a brushed finish. So...

I started checking out other options for a re-finish of my Ti bike. I love this frame and plan on keeping it with me as long as I can ride, hence the request for S&S and a slight change of geometry (hey - my back 'n neck aren't great...) KB was willing to undertake for me. Thanks again!!! KB will always be on my top list for custom - along with Tom K, Serotta, and D. Kirk. Great folks!

Anyway - Spoke with Tom today. Great fellow! My bike is finally in que to start work so we discussed options.

Here is what we came up with:

Remove all paint from frame (this has been done... shame as it was purdy, but the torch burned some away... alas...)

Send frame to TK's 'crome' guy - he will properly polish the frame on the head tube, seat tube, and down tube. Back to TK.

TK will mask off Serotta stencils to the DT, ST, and one S on the HT.

TK will give the entire frame a brushed finish, with special attention 'blasting' on area's adjacent to the stencils.

The bike will get masked off and 2 black panels will be painted - one on the DT, one on the ST. Hopefully (IF there is room...) he will be able to mask a small polished Ti ring at each panel around the tubes... so

The end result will be a brushed Ti finish, with 2 black panels, with bright polished Ti SEROTTA 'decals on each tube, and a polished S on the head tube.

I think it will look sharp - with mostly black components (campy 10) a black Brooks, and black HandleBra!

Any thoughts? Any other suggestions? I am time limited.. but open to idea's!

:)

FWIW - Black was decided upon as it would give an industrial feel to the frame. This will work well with the DKS stays IMHO. Black, grey and polished Ti -

Dekonick
12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh yeah... I was concerned about pain adhesion on the decal area's. Tom seemed to think it will not be a problem and he will take extra precautions to make the Ti surface accept paint.

TK, KB, and Serotta have ALL been excellent to work with! What class folks all around.

soulspinner
12-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Tom can paint like few others, great choice, pics and ride report please.

Aaron O
12-27-2011, 06:38 AM
My thoughts are - i love it. I'm not into painted titanium but think panels would look terrific. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me what you're being charged? I have a painted ti frame coming and I'm debating between having it retouched or blasted as you did. I don't understand painting titanium, but what I'm getting is yellow, and I do love yellow bikes.

Smiley
12-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Tom Kellogg knows paint on Ti better than anybody. Also Tom does his polished through paint stencil of the decals likes its nobdy's business. I know between what Kelly delivered and what Tom will finish up Mike will end up with his dream Hors Categorie for life.

jr59
12-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Tom Kellogg knows paint on Ti better than anybody. Also Tom does his polished through paint stencil of the decals likes its nobdy's business. I know between what Kelly delivered and what Tom will finish up Mike will end up with his dream Hors Categorie for life.

I would 100% agree with this.

Of course I am a little bias. :p

Dekonick
12-27-2011, 07:25 AM
The price is not fixed; we are working with an open dialogue. It should be somewhere in the $300 range for the polishing, and bead blasting - depending on how much the decal stencil's cost. Paint on the website is ~400 but he told me he would probably only charge $150 for 2 panels. Worst case, it will be less than $500. Well worth it for a lifetime frame. :beer:

zap
12-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Sounds like this will be a cool travel bike.

PaMtbRider
12-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Post pictures when you get the frame back. Tom has a great eye for finishing a bike to make it look right.

slowgoing
12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for posting this. I have a painted legend but have always wanted one in matte/polish. Sounds like I should give Tom a call about a conversion.

martinez
12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I would 100% agree with this.

Of course I am a little bias. :p

the headbadge is really simple, but really beautiful at the same time.
im a simple man :beer:

Elefantino
12-30-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm really interested to know how this whole process goes. I've been toying with the idea of turning the Concours into a S&S bike and painting it.

I'll be following all the updates. Keep us posted.

Dekonick
12-31-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm really interested to know how this whole process goes. I've been toying with the idea of turning the Concours into a S&S bike and painting it.

I'll be following all the updates. Keep us posted.

Ill post lots of pictures when I get her back. My S&S conversion was more to change the geometry just a hair - enough for my aging body...

The S&S is just a bonus feature!