PDA

View Full Version : Resurecting old thread - HP touchpad

Dekonick
12-26-2011, 09:00 PM
If you have one, it is worth both rooting the Webos and overclocking the tablet. It makes it quite snappy...

I have waited to root and install cyanogenmod Android OS... but no longer. They have finally worked out most of the kinks so it is a worthwhile hack.

Simple instructions to install Android are here: http://www.opinionless.com/installing-cyanogenmod-android-alpha-3-on-your-hp-touchpad/

You can also follow any of the other guides out there. There are several good guides from liliputing among others.

Paul - if you want me to I can root your TP for you... I think you will find you like it.

FWIW - WebOS is not dead, but in fact being further developed. It is my favorite tablet OS for ease of use... it just lacks applications... hence the dual boot to android.

A bargain for $150!

Dekonick
12-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Paul - just what you were looking for - Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc...

but you can use the webOS for everything else. Best of both worlds and no need to eat rotten apples!

rugbysecondrow
12-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Do that and there will be a bottle of scotch with your name on it.
give me a ring, I will drop it off anytime.

Thanks!
Paul

MRB
12-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Yo Dekonick:
Are the HP touchpads still available? I remember HP blowing them out for $99. But the supply was very limited I gues.. I was thinking of rooting my Nook Tablet, but this looks interesting and might be a better option.

thanks!

bfd
12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Yo Dekonick:
Are the HP touchpads still available? I remember HP blowing them out for $99. But the supply was very limited I gues.. I was thinking of rooting my Nook Tablet, but this looks interesting and might be a better option.

thanks!

Yes and no. When hp decided to bring out a second batch of touchpads (tps), it was sold as a 32gb for $150. But then hp decided it wanted to try and make a little money and put in a "catch." You had to buy a hp computer to get these prices. Therefore, if you wanted a new computer/laptop/whatever and like hp, you could have bought that computer/laptop at whatever price you got and then bought the tps for the $150 price. Good deal for those who were getting a new computer anyways!

Alas, most of the stock seems to have been bought up and resellers are now selling them at $200-300 range. Good Luck!