PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Dura Ace FD w/SRAM ?

phoeve
12-26-2011, 07:23 PM
I hear some like it better than the SRAM FD.

Thanks,
Peter

spiderman
12-26-2011, 07:37 PM
...when my da wheelset came in from signature justin
i mounted a red cassette i picked up on bonktown for cheap
with a sram chain...the cranks are dura ace. shifting is perfect!
not sure if that's what you mean...

thegunner
12-26-2011, 07:56 PM
...when my da wheelset came in from signature justin
i mounted a red cassette i picked up on bonktown for cheap
with a sram chain...the cranks are dura ace. shifting is perfect!
not sure if that's what you mean...

i think he means using a DA front derailleur with an otherwise SRAM setup ;)

this is well documented to work (and some pro-teams did it to improve front shifting). i personally have an ultegra FD mated to sram rival... so it definitely works up and down the line!

phcollard
12-26-2011, 08:52 PM
I use a 105 5600 front der. on my sramed Serotta and i find it shifts much better than a SRAM.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I've used an Ultegra FD with an otherwise Force setup, and it worked fine. Just stay away from the 7900 FD, which has unique cable pull and requires a 7900 shifter.

Gummee
12-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I just changed out my D/A shifter on my Quattro Assi for the Force that came off my Roubaix. Till then, it was SRAM all the way except for that f. der.

Works just fine.

The cross bike still has an XTR f der on it with the SRAM shifters. Rode that for 3 hrs today. It works just fine too.

M

c-record
12-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Used an Ultegra front der. on one of my CX bikes because I had one laying around. Rest of the bike is Red/Force. Works great. The other CX bike is Sram front der. and it works fine too. Don't really notice any differences.

TimmyB
12-27-2011, 12:52 AM
I had a 7800 FD on an otherwise RED drivetrain for quite a while. I eventually switched it for a force FD. I could not tell a difference in terms of performance. They both certainly work. Like anything, YMMV :beer:

cdimattio
12-27-2011, 10:24 AM
I hear some like it better than the SRAM FD.

Thanks,
Peter

My experience was crummy shifting with my original RED FD. I have used Shimano 7800 and 7900 with great success.

I had read some talk about different cable travel on the 7900, but it works great for me (perhaps my touch is less refined).

Preference for Shimano cassette and chain as well.

Bob Loblaw
12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
This begs the question, why not go shimano all the way?

My experience was crummy shifting with my original RED FD. I have used Shimano 7800 and 7900 with great success.

I had read some talk about different cable travel on the 7900, but it works great for me (perhaps my touch is less refined).

Preference for Shimano cassette and chain as well.

oldpotatoe
12-27-2011, 06:06 PM
This begs the question, why not go shimano all the way?

Indeed. Best Red group is Red with.............

shimano cogset
shimano chain
shimano FD
shimano(or Jagwire) cableset.

phoeve
01-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I am no running a DA 7800 front on my otherwise SRAM road bike. It shifts great. I was worried about a cable pull difference, but they appear to be close enuf! Thanks again!