PDA

View Full Version : Legend ST ordered - my 1st Serotta

FloridaRider
02-15-2004, 08:00 AM
Well, after wanting a Serotta for years, I finally ordered myself a Legend ST. compact geometry, polished Ti with reverse matte decals. It's going to be built up with a Campy Record group and Eurus wheels.

I was pretty sold on the Legend, but was uncertain regarding the ST option. Anyone out there that can tell me how they like (or don't like) their ST rear end? The concept makes sense, but how does it perform? I was also a lttle concerned regarding the longevity of the pivots, particularly with all the sand we have down here - it tends to get in everything.

Thanks for any comments or advice.

Kevin
02-15-2004, 08:47 AM
I have the ST rear on an Ottrott. It gives a very comfortable ride while still sticking to the road and handling like you are on rails.

Good luck. You made a good decision.

Kevin

Bruce K
02-15-2004, 09:23 AM
I'll second Kevin, my Ottrott ST is the most enjoyable "all-day" bike I have ever ridden.

BK

SPOKE
02-15-2004, 09:41 AM
don't worry about the pivots. easily replacable seald bearings. doubtful that you'll have any problems at all. the pivots on the Hor's are a different story since they are a plain bearing/bushing type using an oilite bronze material.
the ST rear is much more controled/stable than the Hor's IMO. it doesn't move as much but since it makes use of the carbon seatstay it still dampens the small hits very well an the pivot allows the chainstays to handle the heavy hits to take the sting out.

BumbleBeeDave
02-15-2004, 12:01 PM
. . . put my Legend down as my all-time “best” purchase in the “best and worst cycling buys” thread, but I figured that it goes without saying in this forum.

I agree that you made a good decision--ST rear end or not. My Serotta is one of the very few things I can honestly say I have been associated with in my life that gives only unadulterated pure enjoyment.

What are you riding now?

BBDave

FloridaRider
02-15-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm currently riding a Merlin Extralight that I've had since 1993. It's a great bike - but the components need updating and it's time to try something new. I'm keeping the Merlin though - it's one of the Massachusetts built bikes - some would say "a real Merlin". I split my time between the Merlin and my Surly Steamroller fixed gear bike.

I'm looking forward to the Legend ST. I was told it should take around 3 - 4 weeks for it to be completed.

Kevin
02-15-2004, 03:22 PM
The wait can be tough. I have lived through the wait on 2 Ottrotts, about 4-6 weeks each time. I am now waiting on a CSi. Believe it or not, the wait on the CSi is the longest, 8 weeks. It does get easier though.

Good luck.

Kevin