PDA

View Full Version : Gentlepersons, your ride reports pls. :)

Too Tall
08-06-2005, 07:41 PM
A week of recovering from a sore throat. Note to self KICK massage clients OUT the door if they are not well. Get thee hence youz and yer germs!!!

Sat. - Drove up to Trexlertown velodrome with two good pals to race. One guy has won everything in sight and the other is a district champ on the road. Fun guys and the knowledge exchange is so fine. Driving we discover we all are friend of Andy Coggins (the earth's gift to training with watts)...it's kind of like 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon but with bike racers.

Raced 4 races. First a totally whacked "Unknown Distance Snowball"...honest I can't make that up. It was really an odd race format....I hung near the middle. Second race is a points race. I railed it from the gun and took the first sprint clear and than got something going with a guy to take 2nd in the second sprint and than sat in for third. 3rd race was some 12 lap scratch race deal...I think I placed :rolleyes: Last race is the "Final" in an A or B format. The ref. decided I qualified to ride with the big boys in a 35 lap scratch race. Yeah right thanks??? This is my second time on the track and I racing with 123's...uh huh right. I got into a 3 man break...which I initiated...for 10 laps...realized I was definately in over my head and sat up before I did something I'd regret and called it a day. Best part was seeing KenO, wearing his "KenO" tee shirt!!! What a prince of a man, he drove to see me bail out of a race. Dood, I owe you a beer or three.

Life is good.

CNY rider
08-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Today was the Magical History Tour. I've posted links to it before. If anyone thinks they want to come next year let me know.

The century ride is known as the Mountaineer. I have ridden many parts of it before but never done it as one ride. Main distinguishing characteristic is the 7600 feet of climbing involved. The ride starts innocenly enough. I was riding with one friend. We did the first couple of easy hills, then rode a 17 mile straight section with (for me) a fast paceline riding about 23 per hour miles on a long flat stretch. I fell off the back towards the end, cause that's too speedy for me!

From about the 50 to the 65 mile mark there are intermediate grade hills (like 2 miles or so of 5% grade). Then you hit East Hill in Cherry Valley. I call that one the demoralizer because you climb several miles, then the road opens in front of you and you think you're over the top, only to take a sharp bend and start climbing again :butt:

What really takes the cake though, is there are 4 major climbs in the last 15 miles. I must admit I just crawled up the last 3 in my granny gear.

All in all though, a great experience. Well laid out route, no traffic, plenty of food/water stops, and a picture perfect day in upstate NY with temps in the 70's and no real humidity :D

jerk
08-06-2005, 09:44 PM
hmmm...
the jerk rode really hard everyday except today when he slept late. he's almost down to racing weight and will be conducting a test very soon to gauge his aims and fitness. he's a cocky bastard who knows he's as fast as he needs to be to get a ride.....first time in 8 years. we'll see how it goes.

jerk

Dekonick
08-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Nothing but rides in HOT HUMID nasty weather - love it!

nothing longer than 36 miles but it feels great to be riding again - although the wife is not happy with any ride over 1.5 hours long...guess a crying baby will do that... :rolleyes:

Cute little bugger is worth it tho...

Now if I can get down to what I should weigh...

Time to work on push-aways :(

Why does all the good food have so many calories??? :beer:

keno
08-07-2005, 05:42 AM
In the am, I took my good bud Tris, the triathlete animal, on keno's Self Hatred and Loathing ride, created at about 3:00 am that morning. At one option point during the ride I asked Tris "which way you wanna go"? "You pick, I'm behind you," he said. He forgot that there was one more telling option within the options. I took the worst of the worst. I believed what I next heard from him was "I hate you."

In the pm I did do the easy cruise to TTown to check out Too Tall Does TTown. The sight of a stork on a track bike was the hook for me. I have to tell you, though, the man can ride his track bike. When he got them long limbs spinning all appreciated the cool breeze on a hot afternoon. Wish I could do that, any of that! BTW, even though I brought my camera (a gift I gave my wife knowing full well whose hands it would end up in) with me in the car, I forgot to bring it from the car to the track. I wanted to share the sights I enjoyed with all of you, but they will have to be disclosed in the future.

Not to get mushy here, Too Tall, but you have done nothing but support me both as a rider and as a friend. You helped to train me for a time trial, you prepared me for a very hilly century, you loaned me my first Aluminum Maidens, you invited me to camp, and that's just the beginning. From now on, you will answer to the name Saint Too Tall. For me to drive a little bit on a Saturday afternoon (that otherwise would have been spent writing the great American novel or curing cancer or contemplating my navel) to lend a little moral support to a pal ain't no big thing. I'll probably do it again. Incidentally, La Choufe would not be a bad choice for those beers you mention.

To top it all off, the Mobil station near the track had 32 oz containers of Mountain Dew for 50 cents. That and a small bag of Corn Nuts and the volume cranked up on that bad music made the trip back home nirvana. Why does my driving turn even more aggressive after spending time at the track? Must have been the Dew.

keno

Lifelover
08-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Set out to do 55 Miles. Was going to start with the LARGE group that does 20 and break off with a few folks to extend.

The key planner of the ride was a no show but still broke off with a group of about 10 to go a little longer. When they reached the turn around point about 16 miles out I continued to the only "climb" (80' bridge) in the area to meet up with some other friends doing repeats.

Did a few repeats myself and than had a $0.25 tomato from someone's driveway. Hard to beat a fresh garden grown tomato.

Regrouped at the turn around point with the other folks from the bridge and decided to ride solo back since the other two are much stronger and I wanted to enjoy the views.

Left a few minutes before them and catching a tail wind made me decide to try and keep them off for the return trip (so much for seeing the country side). Figured I had a slim chance since they really were not chasing.

Much to my (and their's) surprise I was able to hold them off.
In the end did 40 miles and wonders for my confidence. They will chase (and catch) next time. :banana:

Dr. Doofus
08-07-2005, 09:22 AM
sun -- race. rain. relaxed
mon -- AM: 3 x 12 fast, fun, frolic
PM: 3 x 12 faster, funner, frolickier
tues -- 45 min easy
wed -- 45 min easy
thurs -- crit. crispy-hot. creaking bronchae.
fri -- 30 min easy. ozone. opressive.
sat -- crit. crisis. crikey.
sun -- 2 hrs. flying. funky. finally breathing fully.

Tom
08-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Sunday a quickie river loop before going to Lake Placid armed with just a book and no bike. Toughest decision for three days was whether to read a few more pages or sleep. Woke up at night to either the sound of a loon on Mirror Lake or the guy the town hired to go out and imitate one so the tourists get all fuzzy thinking they heard a loon. Watched the triathletes swim the lake and from the balcony criticized the triathlete's form on the bike when they went by... it was fun. I like balconies. I wanted to stand up and start speechifying but Karen told me not to.

Thursday decided to go try and see a bear on Lake Deso at noon. 94 degrees, 90% humidity, discovered my fitness is nowhere in the heat. Errrf.

Skipped Friday, cleaning house cause my parents were coming down out of the hills for my uncle's 90th birthday party and since they hadn't seen the place in years we thought it ought to look good.

Saturday went up Crawford to Mariaville and back, 70 degrees out and it sure was nice. I think this week I might try Crawford repeats to see how many I can do before I fall over.

A short week. Back to work Monday. Crap.

Bruce Jacobs
08-07-2005, 09:59 AM
May be the first time ever on a long ride. Even had a pleasant surprise that Long Hill Road was repaved. Was disappointed that Hardscrabble (Mendem NJ) was still in bad shape making the DH no fun at all. The only part that was repaved was by the Audobon Society. Guess the birds have more pull.

B :beer:

Big Dan
08-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Well just did my regular 32 mile loop, nothing hard, spinning on my old Lemond with downtube shifters. The funny part was that a fat guy riding a Merlin Cielo came screaming at me to get out of the way...
I caught up to him without even shifting to ask him about all the noises......
Soon I realized he was a wise man , he told me to get a real bike and learn how to ride.....
WOW.........Funny thing is that he couldn't drop me...... :crap:

Just because you ride a 7K + dollar bike doesn't make you an expert.........
I'll keep my eye on him so he can't have another taste of humble pie........

:banana:

Big Dan .......thinking of changing name to "Big Hurt".....

SoCalSteve
08-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Its 2 weeks before our big event the "Cool Breeze Century" and I have my participants up to 78 miles.

We rode in Malibu and then to Oxnard and Port Hueneme. Beautiful day. A bit humid, but cool. All together 78 miles.

We have a huge disparity in skill level and I try to ride with everyone. We had 3 SAG stops with 2 follow cars.

I started out riding with the fast group for the first 16 miles. HR at over 150 the whole time.Fun! Picked up the second group for the next 20 odd miles at about 140 HR. After the second SAG, I rode with the next level down, HR at about 125-135. By the time I got to the last group....well, you can see how it went.

I did manage to get in about 5 miles with 3 big rollers at the very end all by myself. HR in the mid 150's to 160's. Not bad after 73 miles of riding.

I enjoy doing this work for the Luekemia and Lymphoma Society, but honestly, my personal training suffers.

Its all over in 2 weeks and then back to training by myself.

Steve

PS: I'm 47 years old (to give you a reference of HR)

Bruce K
08-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I did the Pan-Mass Challenge this weekend, along with Leftyfreak, Quattro, Bradford, and a bunch of other Serotta Owners sprinkled in amongst the 4300 riders.

Routes ranged from 157 miles to 192 miles over 2 days.

If the event runs true to form, we will have raised $21,000,000.00 for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute and the Jimmy Fund (research to cure cancer in kids).

More reports later once everyone gets home and gets settled.

BK

andy mac
08-07-2005, 01:59 PM
saturday:

am - peel off a quick 30 before having to head into the office.

escape office at 7:30pm to meet up with a friend from australia who is town for the weekend.get **** from bosses for leaving early.

check email at 1am, says need more work by noon sunday.

sunday:

back into the office at 9am. escape at lunch time for an hour to find some clothes to wear to my wedding.

get back to office. get more **** for going missing.

sunday pm, still working. perhaps all night.

jealous reading others ride reports. also contemplating new career and how boneheads ever get promoted to manage people...

dave thompson
08-07-2005, 03:26 PM
50 miles!

98 degrees!

sweating like a pig!

severe quad cramps!

I hated it!!!

I don't care, I'm going cycling in Europe next week.

BumbleBeeDave
08-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Last Sunday . . . 83.5 to Canajoharie and back. That adventure to H*LL was related in last week’s ride report, but I split my week at Midnight Saturday, so here it is again.

Monday . . . REST

Tuesday . . . 35 miles, 18.1 average. Up Route 160 with friends Steve M., Kevin, and Kevin’s son. Then went to Kevin’s house and ate burgers, totally negating fitness benefits of ride.

Wednesday . . . 24 miles, 19 average, with friend Steve R. and other regular Wednesday Night Ride crew. We rode out of Karen and Tacy’s house, then went back there and ate burgers and gnarly taco chips and drank beer, once again totally negating fitness benefits of ride.

Thursday . . . 27 miles on my MTB on the bike path with lousy 15.1 average as I piddled along enjoying not having to keep up with anyone.

Friday . . . REST

Saturday . . . 40 miles to Amsterdam and back with friend Gary L at stupid 17.5 mph average because we were both fried like the Colonel’s chicken. Gary told me about how his 20 year old Serotta frame broke on a recent ride--he stood up to go and the downtube separated from the bottom bracket at the lug. He had told his buds to go on ahead because he just thought he was having a derailleur problem. Then he discovered the real problen and had to stick the tube back in the lug and ride 10 miles home reeeeeal slow . . . We saw a blur with a Serotta decal on it pass us coming into town as we went out, and figured out later it was Tom coming back from Crawford ride. I called to him but he didn’t answer--I deduced because he was travelling over Mach One and therefore could not hear me.

Today . . . Drove up to Adirondacks with BBGeneva and climbed Noonmark Mtn. There’s a spectacular view of the whole High Peaks area from the totally bald peak--much like MY totally bald peak!--but the last pitch is a killer. The sign said you ascend 1216 vertical feet in one mile. My calculator says this is an average 229% grade. Therefore I deduced that we should stop on the way home in Schroon Lake and eat cheeseburgers and drink beer--therby negating any fitness benefits of the 6.7 mile hike.

Finished the week with 209 miles and three nights of cheeseburgers. :rolleyes:

BBDave

Tom Kellogg
08-08-2005, 06:39 AM
No racing. Met at the T-Town Velo @ 10:00. Lovely ride around the traditional "Crystal Cave" loop with some folks who have never done it before. One was a customer of ours who got his bike about a year ago. His fitness has developed so much since then that he is now racing each Thursday night at the Bob Rodale series. His grandchildren cheering him on. He and I stopped at the Uptown Cafe for a bite and Coffee on the way back. Really couldn't have been a nicer way to spend a Saturday morning.

Chruch and lots of yard work kept me off the bike 'till 5:00. Warm-up, 8 short hill repeats, then a short 20mi. loop spin down. Dinner with the family. Another great way to spend a day.

Too: Sad we missed you at the Velo. Let me know next time you are coming up so that we can cheer you on.

Too Tall
08-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Dave - Take your sports drink!!!! Endurolytes (e-caps) are magic.
T.K. - Sorry about that. My brother is in town with wife # 5 and all I could think was ESCAPE from Alcatraz...run awaaaaay. Next time.

victoryfactory
08-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Saturday 65 miles, 16.5mph average:
Did my weekly ride out to Montauk lighthouse, south fork of Long Island
Great day, light winds, felt strong

Sunday 55 miles 15mph average:
Went for the north fork out to Orient Point. Hit the wall on the way back,
though. I had gotten my second wind, and second legs and was still
waiting for my second butt to arrive when I was passed by 2 young guys
like I was standing still, I think I heard them say "nice bike" but it could have
been "take a hike"

La dolce vita

VF

geezohwiz
08-08-2005, 08:49 AM
...with 10 guys/gals leaving out of the LBS through scenic Bucks County, PA and Central NJ. Overcast skies, a little cooler than forecast, and a few rain drops along the way.

35 miles, some "little" hills (note to ride leader - we have to get together on the definition of "little"), some pacelining at fairly good speeds (20+ mph)...and, oh the descents! Average speed somewhere in the 15 mph range. Not a bad way to spend a Sunday morning, riding through some beautiful areas with really great people!

jdoiv
08-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Rode the local club ride Saturday AM. Ride leader decided to start the ride on the Natchez Trace Pkwy and set a 7AM start to guarantee parking for everyone (small parking lots on the trace for picnicing). Rode down the trace for 10 miles of rolling hills. Got dropped by the fast group halfway down. Exited the trace at Leipers Fork and did back roads around until we pulled into the local grocery store for a rest stop at about 22 miles. Then back on the bike and slowly climbing over the Tennessee divide. Rider in front of me almost lost it on a fast down hill trying to break before a curve. Pretty scary. She had the real wheel locked up and looked like she was going to high-side it ala Joseba Beloki. Somehow she managed to keep it upright. Then had a nice run through the valley to Fernvale (paceline with a small group at about 22mph) until I got stung by a bee. Little sucker got me just under my glasses and my eye is still a little puffy. Crossed 96 and hit the first big hill. Made it over that and then back onto the trace for the final climb back to the parking area. All in all did 43 miles with just over a 16mph average. Not bad and I feel like I'm getting in better shape. :beer:

Tailwinds
08-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Did an easy ride due to my husband's 3-week bike hitatus. Anytime I can get him on the bike, it's good. We rode a loop around Denver on the bike trails... only a few miles on a road w/cars. We did 58 miles w/a break at the Denver Botanical Gardens, which is a nice little oasis on the Platte River. They have a little place set up w/picnic tables among the trees and xeriscape gardens. You can order food hot off the grill, and they even have Carb-Boom and other things to cater to the more "active" trail users. It's really refreshing riding in CO after being hated by the majority of motorists in FL. Surprisingly, there weren't a ton of people on the trails yesterday, so I only had to make a few evasive maneuvers... very nice for a weekend on the Denver trails.

BumbleBeeDave
08-08-2005, 10:45 AM
. . . sounds interesting. Maybe I should wander down there on a weekend and watch TooTall, csb, and Keno crash--er, I mean "race"--and Tom Kellogg will have a cuppa with ME! ;)

BBDave

pbbob
08-08-2005, 11:08 AM
sat. 30 something in the neighborhood and then went to the corn roast. had 6 ears of nice sweet corn.
sun. 30 something again and then went to the county fair. should have entered my pumpkins in the largest pumpkin contest. they are bigger than the puny 67 pounders that won. maybe next year.

dehoopta
08-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Saturday woke up to do the 40 mile "Saturday Breakfast Ride", when I spotted rain drops in the driveway. I decided to drive over to the start in case it stopped. Once it did, we thought we were safe so about half of us took off. About 15 minutes into the ride, on dry pavement, it started raining steadily. I thought the group would bail, but the four fast guys I found myself with, said they planned to ride the entire ride. SO....my new CDA (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=8439&highlight=cda) got it's baptism.

Sunday my family planned on the "Morning Glory Bike Ride" an annual ride of 25 miles at about 6AM ends at the riverside with breakfast. I rode my Trek singletrack MTB with my 4 year-old in tow on a tag-a-long. He didn't want to stop. Great family ride.

Tom Kellogg
08-08-2005, 02:43 PM
BBD:

Call ahead and we can go on the 10:00 ride from the Velo, hit the Coffee shop on the way back and watch the sparks fly on the Velo. Should be fun!

Marco
08-08-2005, 05:52 PM
"My brother is in town with wife # 5......"; TT- didn't you tell him how many bikes he could have afforded in liu of numbers 1 through 4??

Skrawny
08-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Saturday: Marin Century: 104 miles, 6,000 feet of climbing. Avg 18.3mph. Easily one of my top 10 times on a bike (only been riding for about 2 years tho). Wrote about it here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10185)

Sunday: Hamstring kind of freaking out, took the day off and ate a lot of food...

Monday:hams better today, gotta' RIDE! :banana:
-s

znfdl
08-09-2005, 05:53 AM
Saturday: Rest Day

Sunday: 105 miles with 50+ miles of undulating terrain with 6 sustained climbs. Could only manage a 15.5 mph average.

Next Saturday: Nightmare Tour around Lancatser County, 200 miles of Fun

Too Tall
08-09-2005, 06:56 AM
How many more bikes could he afford???? As if! He's to busy filing divorce papers ;)

Watch this Znfndl guy, he's lost what? Like 30 lbs in the last yr? He's also one of the sneakiest basta$ds on a bike I've ever ridden with...loves to stick his hips into your drops and wobble your bike...oh the fun will never cease ;) Good for you man. Let's hear about the 200 mile sufferfest.

Tom Kellogg
08-09-2005, 07:15 AM
I'll be racing in Lancaster on Saturday, drop by.

Seriously, Too, why don't you and the Queen come up for the Grandview crit? It is on a blast of a course, beautiful tree lined old neighborhood streets. You will have fun.

znfdl
08-09-2005, 07:30 AM
Tom: I would love to drop by and see you, but I think that I will be occupied most of the day, as the route finds every hill possible. One of the killers is at mile 115, which is 18% for a quater mile. I believe that the whole course has 13+k of climbing. If my records are correct, this will be my 35th double or more on your Ti creation.

Too Tall, I would never do that to you as I am mild mannered person. It just so happens that my hips are at the same height as your handlebars, which means I am not Too Tall but Too Short :cool:

Too Tall
08-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Hmm. Looks good T.K. But wait, that means no track racing??? haha. I'm addicted already. I'll run the idea by Queen. Did I tell you she won the TT and $50 last weekend? Who's the better bike racer :rolleyes: Mmmm, momma!

Znfndl - yeah right.