PDA

View Full Version : Were Continental Ultra 3000 tires ever tubular?

Fishbike
12-26-2011, 09:59 AM
I have an old set of Matrix rims with old Continental Ultra 3000 tires on them that I want to replace. The tires are sort of brown with a sort of tan wall. But I can't remove the tires with levers. Could they be tubular tires, which I have never used or seen up close? Any suggestions for removing the tires? Thanks!

bart998
12-26-2011, 01:55 PM
couldn't find an answer to that question, but I found no reference to 3000's as a tubular. I have seen clinchers that had fused to the alloy rims due to age and heat. Either way, it just has to be physically separated from the rim. Use a plastic tire lever to avoid scratching and work it under the edge of the tire. Once the lever makes a gap, the answer should be obvious. If clincher, work the lever around to break the tire bead free. Plastic levers are thick though so if it's really tight you may need to make the initial opening with a steel or Ti lever.

If it's a tubular, work the lever all the way under the tire so it comes out the other side. Then work it around the rim to break the glue loose.

skijoring
12-26-2011, 02:05 PM
I think they were clincher only, HOWEVER those Matrix rims ran large as I remember. :fight:

Fishbike
12-26-2011, 10:25 PM
thanks guys. you encouraged me to keep at it. well the good news is I discovered they are indeed clinchers. the bad news is I now have two broken tire levers. oh well -- an excuse to go to the LBS tomorrow!

aaronf
12-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Matrix rim with a Continental tire is possibly the most difficult rim-tire combination known to man. Seems Matrix rims ran large and Conti tires at that time ran small. It's a diabolical combination.

When buying new levers, you might try the Soma SteelCore levers. As the name implies, they have a steel core with nylon/plastic covering. Nice and stiff. The tip can still break, as the steel core does not go all the way to the end. But they are noticeably stronger when removing stubborn tires.

Or just get a set of Park metal levers and be careful...

Aaron

LouDeeter
12-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Has anyone ever cut a clincher tire off a rim? I haven't, but it would seem that if you are going to trash the old tires that you could cut the tire tread and sidewall off and use very pointy wire cutters to snip the wire/kevlar bead to remove the tire. You may end up destroying the tubes as well, but I think that would be cheaper and less frustrating than continuing to break levers.

ultraman6970
12-27-2011, 08:49 AM
With tubulars you just push the tyre off the bed with your thumbs, since you used the lever clearly are clinchers.

The only tire i have seen that could look like a tubular is tufo tubular clinchers and maybe schwalbe ultremos. all the other stuff from look at them u see are clinchers. Rims have totally different construction from a clincher rim, the edges are more rounded and smooth than a sharper edges box than clinchers use.

gomango
12-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Matrix rim with a Continental tire is possibly the most difficult rim-tire combination known to man. Seems Matrix rims ran large and Conti tires at that time ran small. It's a diabolical combination.

When buying new levers, you might try the Soma SteelCore levers. As the name implies, they have a steel core with nylon/plastic covering. Nice and stiff. The tip can still break, as the steel core does not go all the way to the end. But they are noticeably stronger when removing stubborn tires.

Or just get a set of Park metal levers and be careful...

Aaron

Absolute fact on the Matrix rims.

I have them on my 1977 Super I just picked up, and they will go to old rim heaven as soon as I rebuild with a suitable replacement.

Z3c
12-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Has anyone ever cut a clincher tire off a rim? I haven't, but it would seem that if you are going to trash the old tires that you could cut the tire tread and sidewall off and use very pointy wire cutters to snip the wire/kevlar bead to remove the tire. You may end up destroying the tubes as well, but I think that would be cheaper and less frustrating than continuing to break levers.

Yep, done it many times, tin snips will work best for cutting a wire bead..

Fishbike
12-27-2011, 09:28 AM

I tried this. I was able to cut the tire and tube but could not get the wire cutters to cut the bead. The bead is very stiff. I am hoping that I have loosened and stretched the tire enough that I can get it off with multiple tire levers. An yes I will be looking for metal ones. Good to hear at least that other have had problems with Contis and Matrix. I have had difficulty removing tires before, but never like this.

gomango
12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I tried this. I was able to cut the tire and tube but could not get the wire cutters to cut the bead. The bead is very stiff. I am hoping that I have loosened and stretched the tire enough that I can get it off with multiple tire levers. An yes I will be looking for metal ones. Good to hear at least that other have had problems with Contis and Matrix. I have had difficulty removing tires before, but never like this.

Just for grins pick up a Crank Brothers Speedlever.

Another forum member set me straight on this, and they work great!

http://www.crankbrothers.com/tools_speedlever.php

I think they are about $10, and they've worked great for me.