PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for riding in LA

weaponsgrade
12-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm in LA this week and am looking for ideas on biking routes. I'm in westwood and have access to a car so I could start anywhere. Is there a route that shouldn't be missed? Something around 60 or so miles. Thanks!

benitosan1972
12-25-2011, 12:36 AM
I've always wanted to ride Mt Baldy

*I've only done touristy stuff:

-Griffiths Park
-Malibu/Mullholland
-Venice/Newport/Laguna/PCH 1
-Hollywood/Echo Park/Melrose/Beverly Hills

Alan
12-25-2011, 06:49 AM
When I lived in LA I rode with the San Fernando Valley club. Link is below:

http://www.sfvbc.org/rides.php

On 1/1 they do Mt Wilson which was always too much for me. They have great routes and are a wonderful group. You can email Randy Lawrence who is their ride person from the home page as they have great cue sheets that are printable. They ride from Cal State Northridge. I was just thinking last week how much fun I had while riding w them.

Alan

fkelly
12-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Go to Glendora (East of Pasadena, you can take the 210 most of the way). Find Glendora Mt. Road on a map program. Basically, you go a bit north out of Glendora to a parking lot at the base of the Mt. (Looking on Google Maps, the lot is just after Dalton Canyon Road branches off to the right). You ride into the park and up the mountain. And up and up and up around switchbacks. It will make you feel like a hero, probably 3 to 6% grades. After about 10 miles you come to a Y where Glendora Ridge Road goes right towards Mt. Baldy. You ride the ridge a bit more (maybe 6 miles, sorry I'm not being precise). There is a great descent into Mt. Baldy Village. If you like 10%, even 15%+ grades you can be a superhero and ride up to the ski area, probably another 4 miles. That's where Levi and Chris Horner dropped everyone last year. If you are like me you can stop in Mt. Baldy Village instead and get a coke and a bite.

Then back through the village and miles of steep downhills (a couple of miles at 9%+) being careful through the 2 tunnels. You will get to a part where there is a intersection with the left turn going down to Upland. Go straight, more downhills into Claremont. Take Foothill there back into Glendora. Take Lone Hill to the right over to North Valley Center and climb back up to your starting point. Probably in the 40 mile range with 45+ if you do the ski area option. Usually the roads are clear but you still need to check the weather conditions. You get up to about 4500 feet without the ski area option, probably 6000 if you go up there.

You can also reverse the course and go from Claremont to Mt. Baldy, turn left and go back down. Only thing is the Claremont to Mt. Baldy has those two miles at 9+% through the tunnels. Either way you get miles and miles and miles up on the ridge with great views.

Ken Robb
12-25-2011, 09:48 AM
The Mt. Baldy ride sounds great. A similar idea is Palomar Mtn. in north San Diego County which you might drive to in an hour or so if traffic is light. The South Grade is a serpentine unrelenting climb with spectacular views. The East Grade is longer and not as steep. It too has wonderful views, a few flats and many swoopy high speed turns. It is all lovely forest from just above the bottom to the top. Palomar Observatory is at the top and offers tours. Mother's Restaurant and a general store offer food/drink options.

fkelly
12-25-2011, 09:55 AM
I just created a map on ridewithgps:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/864973

this excludes the excursion up to the ski area ... there is an INN right in Mt. Baldy village (a slight left when you come down the Mt.into the village). Overall the route comes out to 40 miles, give or take.

There are pictures of most of the route out on my bike club web site at:

http://www.webmhcc.org/rn/modules.php?name=gallery2&g2_itemId=6876

and following through the photo album you can find there.

weaponsgrade
12-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Fantastic!, thanks for all the recommendations.

beeatnik
12-25-2011, 12:49 PM
LA = Mulholland

SoCalSteve
12-26-2011, 10:33 AM
LA = Malibu via PCH

Send me a PM if you'd like some suggestions.

Steve (who is riding to Malibu today)

beeatnik
12-26-2011, 11:18 AM
LA = Malibu via PCH

Send me a PM if you'd like some suggestions.

Steve (who is riding to Malibu today)

Of course. More fun with a group tho. Mulholland is great solo

weaponsgrade
01-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted. SoCalSteve, sorry I didn't get a chance to call. I ended up riding Mt. Baldy one day and Mulholland another day. Both fantastic rides. While climbing up Baldy, I saw two guys on skateboards descending - crazy.

Ken Robb
01-12-2012, 03:44 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted. SoCalSteve, sorry I didn't get a chance to call. I ended up riding Mt. Baldy one day and Mulholland another day. Both fantastic rides. While climbing up Baldy, I saw two guys on skateboards descending - crazy.

I saw some other folks descending from Mesa Grande on boards last Sunday. Google to see film on YouTube. Talk about NUTS!