PDA

View Full Version : TRP v-brake question

CNY rider
12-24-2011, 05:11 PM
I finally have had it with the cantis and I am putting TRP V-brakes on my dirt road bike.
When routing the front brake cable do I still use the cable guide on my steerer?
It seems like the directions are telling me to just run the cable from the bars right down to the brake.
If that's the case do I run a single section of housing the full length too?

Thanks.

fatallightning
12-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Do you mean the cable hanger/stop on the steerer tube? If yes, you may now ignore it, and run a single continuous housing.

oldpotatoe
12-24-2011, 05:17 PM
I finally have had it with the cantis and I am putting TRP V-brakes on my dirt road bike.
When routing the front brake cable do I still use the cable guide on my steerer?
It seems like the directions are telling me to just run the cable from the bars right down to the brake.
If that's the case do I run a single section of housing the full length too?

Thanks.

No, housing from the lever to the brake, ala a road brake caliper. GREAT brakes, you will like them.

CNY rider
12-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys that's what I thought, just trying to stick with the "Think twice, cut once" program.

Hank Scorpio
12-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Which ones did you go with? I am contemplating selling my Paul cantis for the 8.4's.

CNY rider
12-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Cx 9.
They have to be better than the cantis.

thendenjeck
12-24-2011, 07:48 PM
if you can find a pair, I highly suggest the cnc'ed Avid Black Ops Single Digit Ultimate V brakes. kick the living crap out of any cantis I've ridden, and look good to boot.

jhat
12-24-2011, 08:07 PM
I went to the 8.4 on my cx bike. It took a little while to get used to the power but I really like them. The only downside is that if you switch wheels with different width rims, after you adjust for the change in rim width, you have to adjust the centering screws or one side of the pads tends to drag a little.

Small problem but otherwise I really like the brakes after half of a season racing with them.

pdmtong
12-24-2011, 08:31 PM
8.4 with campy or sram (corrected).
9.0 with shimano (corrected).

cable straight from brake lever to the brake...just like a v-brake on a mtb

gobs of power. just be careful to modulate else you will be eating pavement

Hank Scorpio
12-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I think you have that reversed. TRP recommends the 8.4 for Campy/ SRAM and 9.0 shimano.

I went to the 8.4 on my cx bike. It took a little while to get used to the power but I really like them. The only downside is that if you switch wheels with different width rims, after you adjust for the change in rim width, you have to adjust the centering screws or one side of the pads tends to drag a little.

Did you use adjustable noodles or is there enough clearance once you open the shift lever?

patrick8037
12-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Had these on my cross bike earlier in the season. They had incredible stopping power, but the lever action with my SRAM levers was mushy. In the end, I opted to go back to EuroXs.

After all, who needs brakes in cyclocross?

pdmtong
12-25-2011, 01:13 AM
I think you have that reversed. TRP recommends the 8.4 for Campy/ SRAM and 9.0 shimano.

hank, you have it right. sorry about the mis info...

pdmtong
12-25-2011, 01:17 AM
front 8.4 install looks like this. I wanted the stopping power because my CX is also my rain bike...and coming down 10-15% in the wet with canti's is no fun