PDA

View Full Version : Bottom bracket braze on derailer cable guides

tbushnel
08-06-2005, 02:11 PM
... or whatever they are called. I have included a pic of the bottom bracket of my newly acquired lugged steel frame with the braze on cable guides. I wanted to know if there is anything that I should do to prevent or minimize rust from frictional wear from the cables. I will be riding this in wet weather often. I thought about a short length of heat and shrink insulating material used with electrical wire, or maybe just keeping alot of grease in the area, though I am sure this would collect lots of dirt. Also I could just let things rust if they want to, and when its time for a repaint have the braze on guides removed and braze on an attachement for a plastic guide.

Maybe I am worring about nothing, which is most often the case (my recent thread on FD braze on clamp adapter as an example), but if anyone has suggestions/comments I would appreciate the help.

Thanks, and stay cool where its hot.
Ted.
:banana: :banana:

Jeremy
08-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi Ted,

You can get small diameter plastic liner from alot of bike shops. Install some in the braze on guide before you install the cables. It really helps to keep the friction down and to prevent the cable from wearing away the paint.

Jeremy

Peter
08-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Just remove the plastic liner from some STI cables, cut to length, and insert into the guides. You should be smilin' then.

tbushnel
08-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Jeromy and Peter for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. And with luck I will be riding by Tuesday.
Ted.