PDA

View Full Version : Mocking my nuts

thinpin
12-24-2011, 02:25 AM
Cinelli Unicanitor (http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/accessori.php?Id=12&lang=EN&IdAcc=269) .
It appears to be back in the quest for all thing retro. I've never ridden one but would be loathe to try. It looks so wrong. Anyone ridden these things.

bart998
12-24-2011, 09:50 AM
the padded, leather covered version. I sold a lot of the un-padded ones and their knock-offs to bmx'rs back in the day who wanted to be able to do stunts without tearing-up their seats. As I recall, the padded model was still pretty hard but I was also a bit lighter then. Now I'll stick to my Scratch Pro and VO.

martinrjensen
12-24-2011, 10:01 AM
You're badmouthing a saddle and you admit you haven't even tried it????? Saddles are so personal you really can't go on looks alone. Cinelli Unicanitor (http://www.cinelli.it/scripts/accessori.php?Id=12&lang=EN&IdAcc=269) .
It appears to be back in the quest for all thing retro. I've never ridden one but would be loathe to try. It looks so wrong. Anyone ridden these things.

wooly
12-24-2011, 10:09 AM
the padded, leather covered version. I sold a lot of the un-padded ones and their knock-offs to bmx'rs back in the day who wanted to be able to do stunts without tearing-up their seats. As I recall, the padded model was still pretty hard but I was also a bit lighter then. Now I'll stick to my Scratch Pro and VO.

I had one of those plastic seats back in the early 80's on my Mongoose bmx bike shod with Tuff wheels. Hit a jump and landed poorly. Rack em! Ouch.

chismog
12-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Had one for a while in the 80s, on a track bike. Mine was leather cover but no real padding. Worked pretty well for track racing actually, very firm but the shell flexes a bit. Wouldn't want one on my road bike though. There's better options now imho, back in the 80s the alternative was steel turbos that weighed a lot. I imagine it's the fixie crowd that wants these?

Bob Loblaw
12-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I rose something like this on my single speed in college. They are actually not bad at all in a pair of cycling shorts. They also are totally impervious to wet weather so they work great on a bike that sits outside.

BL

JLP
12-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah, they are fine. I raced on the track with one, and used the track bike during winters on the road. No problem.

They feel just like the leather covered Cinelli saddles we used on the road but they are a bit more slippery with lycra.

I like saddles without much pad as I feel I end up on my sit bones that way. Oh and don't think they are only for short criteriums or something; I used that same road bike for touring.

thinpin
12-24-2011, 04:06 PM
You're badmouthing a saddle and you admit you haven't even tried it????? Saddles are so personal you really can't go on looks alone.
First impressions are what you see. It looked odd. I was interested to hear others opinions, especially if they had experience of them. Hardly badmouthing. :beer:

zmudshark
12-24-2011, 05:08 PM
I have ridden them. They ride much better than they look. You can't judge a saddle by looks, but they do look at home on some bikes. Try it, you may like it.

The Cinelli Volare SLX saddle, OTOH...well thankfully they were popular with the fixie crowd for awhile, or mine would still be gathering dust, painful dust, dust screaming in agony as it came to rest on the saddle.

thinpin
12-24-2011, 05:17 PM
I rode Rolls and Turbos as a youth. I had a brief flirtation with a Kashimax Aero. I didnt like the cut of its jib from the outset, and a paid a big price for the flirtation by way of a boil :rolleyes:

zmudshark
12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
I rode Rolls and Turbos as a youth. I had a brief flirtation with a Kashimax Aero. I didnt like the cut of its jib from the outset, and a paid a big price for the flirtation by way of a boil :rolleyes: Turbo's in the 80's, or Avocet RIII, but these days Regals.

One thing for sure, everyone has an ass, and everyone's is different.

martinrjensen
12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
That, I take as badmouthing. As far as looks go, it looked just fine to me, I mean it looked like a saddle and there are tons out there. part of your quote "snipped....I've never ridden one but would be loathe to try. It looks so wrong."

William
12-24-2011, 09:54 PM
With that title I'm surprised the Squirrel hasn't shown up yet. :crap:

William

fiamme red
12-24-2011, 10:28 PM
I have a Unica-Nitor from the 1970's on my daily commuter. It has no padding or cover, just a plastic shell -- I lock up the bike for hours in the rain, and the saddle is none the worse for it. It looks extremely uncomfortable, but it's actually fine in regular clothes (no padded chamois) for rides up to about 25 miles.

The new Unica-Nitors don't look as comfortable as the old ones, which had more drilled holes to make them flex under a rider's weight. Here's one from the Speedplay museum (mine looks the same but is black):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedplaypedals/5349794891/

benitosan1972
12-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I have a new Unicantor re-issue on my rainbike.
I got it cuz obviously it has no cover to get wet, etc.
Surprisingly, it is comfortable, not plush but you don't notice
that you are sitting on an unpadded saddle. I would recommend it
for a bike you wouldn't ride a Century on, but I probably could (but I'm not gonna test that).

I grew up riding Unicantors on my 70's/80's BMX, so the shape is familiar to me, but I can ride anything from Flites to SLR's to Arione to Turbo to Regal to Concor, I have a highly adaptable ass, I could probably ride on a stick with a brick on top, I guess.

martinrjensen
12-25-2011, 09:39 AM
OK, I slept on it and you really weren't "badmouthing" the saddle, so I'm sorry I said that. But it still seemed to me that you were expressing your opinion that the saddle was pretty much unfit to use based on it's looks alone. I have seen so many saddles that look like planks of wood but apparently are good sellers. In my case I found a good saddle and that's all I use now but there is no way I would have known that by looking at it, without a ride and actually a ride of about 30 miles as up to that point my butt can take pretty much anything.With that title I'm surprised the Squirrel hasn't shown up yet. :crap:

William

bigflax925
12-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I still ride the original, plastic, Unicantor on my '76 Masi. It's quite comfortable and durable.

The reissue looks like the shape may be different.