PDA

View Full Version : Campy EPS: and so it has begun (sorry for the gigantic picture)

benitosan1972
12-23-2011, 08:39 PM
http://wrenchscience.blogspot.com/2011/12/introducing-from-wrench-science.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lC-vVAxDkhQ/TvUr9rBP-tI/AAAAAAAACI8/aidIZFOeE1A/s1600/Picture+007.jpg

akelman
12-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Neat-o. More mechanical 10 speed parts should be flooding the used market soon. I can't wait!

rounder
12-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Solar panels. I like hgh tech, but like my bikes to be relatively low tech.

nova
12-23-2011, 09:13 PM
some day, not too long from now, electronic will be to mechanical, what brifters are to down tube shifters.

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2011, 09:58 PM
some day, not too long from now, electronic will be to mechanical, what brifters are to down tube shifters.

More NOS mechanical stuff on eBay for cheap!

BBD

staggerwing
12-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Local shop has one just like it; in 56, for someone with very deep pockets.

Shifted nice hanging on the pegs, but would have been disappointing had it been otherwise.

Suppose the neatest thing is holding down either the button or lever, and having it shift continuously from one end of the cassette to the other. Having it simultaneously auto trim on the front derailleur was also slick.

jbrainin
12-23-2011, 11:15 PM
I love Campy, but exactly what problem does this address? (Other than "I have way too much money in my wallet.")

UKBROOKLYN
12-23-2011, 11:27 PM
I was at my favorite shop last week when the UPS guy dropped off the Campy Electro Pinerello and was witness to the unboxing by excited shop staff. We all gathered around and did the ooooh aaahhh thing for a while.. Then quickly realized that the batteries needed a little charge before it could be checked out. Then I had to ask the owner.. just had to say.. hey what happens if the battery goes dead or the wire gets unplugged..
Well then you have to ride home in one gear. was the answer...

To me it just flies in the face of what a bicycle is. The perfect match of man and mechanical machine. Adding electronic shifting takes away from the gestalt of the bicycle. You completely loose the feel of the gear shift which can be oh so important if you want to keep your gears well aligned and trusty. That feedback is part of the whole of riding a bike.. take any part of it away and you reduce the experience. I may sound like an anti electro Luddite but there have to be limits damn it..!!

wasfast
12-24-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm sure the "creativity" about where to hide the battery will be front of mind for the early adopters that want a cleaner look. Many DI2 users made custom battery packs to place inside the seattube VA having it hanging under the BB or other wart-like place

54ny77
12-24-2011, 09:41 AM
hey more power to ya.

or rather, more "digital tech intelligence" to ya! :beer:

Elefantino
12-24-2011, 09:45 AM
It makes no sense, solves a non-existent problem, costs way too much, etc. Same thing I said about Di2. Then I rode Di2.

Now, because Campy has given us a high-tech alternative to fishing equipment, I want it. Can't.afford it, but I want it and someday hope to have it on my bike.

We're all tech geeks or we'd all still be riding downtube shifters, steel, Brooks leather and tubulars

akelman
12-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Thinking about it a bit more this morning, and setting aside my retrogrouch inclinations, I'm ready to admit to myself that once it's wireless, has proven its reliability, and is relatively affordable, I'll be interested. Until then, meh. I mean, for people who have the money and crave the latest-latest, I think it's awesome. But I'll wait for a few years, thanks, until all of the above happens and they wise up and release a version in silver alloy.

Kirk Pacenti
12-24-2011, 10:11 AM
...once it's wireless...

me too.

54ny77
12-24-2011, 10:21 AM
regarding wireless, i have visions of some hired hacker sitting alongside alpe d'huez with a gizmo that can broadcast a "shift" signal....

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2011, 10:21 AM
hey what happens if the battery goes dead or the wire gets unplugged..
Well then you have to ride home in one gear. was the answer...

. . . has several levels of low battery warning in their system, if I am remembering the reviews I read correctly. Does Campy have the same? Seems the way it sounded for Shimano, it would take somebody pretty determined to end up stuck out on a ride with no battery left.

BBD

Kirk Pacenti
12-24-2011, 10:25 AM
. . . has several levels of low battery warning in their system, if I am remembering the reviews I read correctly. Does Campy have the same? Seems the way it sounded for Shimano, it would take somebody pretty determined to end up stuck out on a ride with no battery left.

BBD

There was a Di2 presentation given at the Shimano / NAHBS breakfast a few years back. One of the guys on the development team said he'd ridden 2,500 miles on a single charge...

54ny77
12-24-2011, 10:33 AM
i have a tough enough time recharging my cell phone. adding bike parts to that mix, i know i'd be stupid enough to forget to charge it when it would be needed (however infrequent that might be).

benitosan1972
12-24-2011, 10:39 AM
If you can remember to charge your Garmin, Dinotte, and iPod,
you should be able to remember to charge your Campy EPS.

2012 pre-ride bike checklist: tire pressure, chain lubed, bolts tightened,
skewers locked, waterbottles filled, helmet, cleat wear, bearings greased, EPS charged, wallet, keys, go!

davidlee
12-24-2011, 10:55 AM
i thinking to that if you can afford this whip, you probably have an extra C note laying around to buy a spare battery to keep charged up in case of a pre ride low battery warning..
I've ridden the shimano version and gotta say, it's pretty slick. Looking forward to checking this out.
Cheers
david

pdmtong
12-24-2011, 07:36 PM
while is seems the most commone fear/complaint of electric is the battery dying, has anyone ever heard of a DI2 system that read it had a charge, but died during a ride? I have never read anything about this, on a forum or in the cycling press.

cost aside, I would love an electric group. I test rode a SL3 with DI2 for 50 miles/3000' maybe two years ago and thought it was great.

Mark McM
12-27-2011, 09:04 PM
while is seems the most commone fear/complaint of electric is the battery dying, has anyone ever heard of a DI2 system that read it had a charge, but died during a ride?

Yes, if you count the small number of systems that have failed due to water intrusion when riding in the rain.

Bob Ross
12-28-2011, 05:27 AM
exactly what problem does this address?
solves a non-existent problem

When I was a grad student at the Conservatory a number of my fellow composition students would often talk about how Beethoven would "solve the problem" of ______________ (insert name of any number of musical techniques and/or context-specific compositional trajectories).

And every time I heard that phrase I made a point of saying "if you think Beethoven was 'solving problems' you'll never understand how he achieved what he did."

Likewise electronic shifting. It's not being offered to fix anything. It's here because electronic shifting is cool.

soulspinner
12-28-2011, 06:09 AM
Yes, if you count the small number of systems that have failed due to water intrusion when riding in the rain.

Huh? Ive seen pros in a driving rain on Di2, havent heard of anyone this happened to. Worked in two bike shops where the rich kids have and have had zero problems. Im still with Mr Pacenti though, when its wireless Im in, and though Im a Campy guy, if it shifts electrically it wont matter who makes it will all be so good.

UKBROOKLYN
12-28-2011, 07:09 AM
I just can't understand this. Most of you fellas just want to accept this intrusion. Don't any of you revel in the beauty of the machine. The whole idea of a bike is using mechanical advantage in an elegant way to propel a human being along the road. If one starts substituting human actuated mechanical actions with electronically powered ones, one is departing from the notion of what a bicycle is. An eco friendly super low emissions vehicle. Why add something as potentially environmentally damaging as a battery.
We don't always have to surrender to the relentless push of progress where is the romance of the machine.. This way is madness..

rugbysecondrow
12-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Looks cool, I just don't know why. If there is a racing purpose or some other performance edge, then I understand it. For me and most folks I know, you grab your bike for a ride in between lunch, playdates, DR appointments, work, family time etc. For me, just an added layer I don't want to mess with.

bambam
12-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Could be nice but Like some others I'll wait till the trickle down effect.
on the other hand if Campy gets back to silver alloy and triples I may not be able to wait for the trickle down.

What surprizes me is that the electronic stuff is available for road but is it available for Tri/Time trials compnents?

Tri-athletes seem to get more into gagets than roadies to me. With the wireless you could have dual shifter, on aerobars and by brakes.
Plus it seems SOME, not all, tri-athletes have more problems on a bike than regular cyclist (holding a line, bike repairs, smooth shifting,etc.)

BamBam

FlashUNC
12-28-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm slowly warming to the idea of electronic shifting, at least in Campy's EPS iteration. The ability to shift the entire cassette with one lever press, the auto trimming, that comfy Campy lever shape...

Its still something of a solution looking for a problem, but as we start to see new features on the electronic groups, its becoming something more appealing to me.

And yes, it'll totally make some Record 10 and 11 groups available for cheap for my next couple bikes.

leooooo
12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
The whole idea of a bike is using mechanical advantage in an elegant way to propel a human being along the road.

Your whole idea. :p

jimcav
12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
I had it on a trek speed concept this summer. in fact i think going back to a severe aero position after a 10 yr hiatus is possibly what "pinched" my hip labrum and led to the tear i have. Anyway, being able to shift from the brakes OR the extensions was cool and really helped with unexpected traffic issues at intersections, hills, etc.
That too me is the big deal--the ability to shift mid-problem that otherwise I'd be struggling to unclip under load etc. I am not as nimble as i was.
jim
Could be nice but Like some others I'll wait till the trickle down effect.
on the other hand if Campy gets back to silver alloy and triples I may not be able to wait for the trickle down.

What surprizes me is that the electronic stuff is available for road but is it available for Tri/Time trials compnents?

Tri-athletes seem to get more into gagets than roadies to me. With the wireless you could have dual shifter, on aerobars and by brakes.
Plus it seems SOME, not all, tri-athletes have more problems on a bike than regular cyclist (holding a line, bike repairs, smooth shifting,etc.)

BamBam

jimcav
12-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Suppose the neatest thing is holding down either the button or lever, and having it shift continuously from one end of the cassette to the other. Having it simultaneously auto trim on the front derailleur was also slick.

I rode Di2 briefly and it didn't do that--each shift was a a touch, and the ability to jump the range fast is what i miss about campy
jim

rustychain
12-28-2011, 09:58 AM
If you want it then go for it. It will not give any practical bennifits even in a race. I doubt it would be any detriment. Spend your money however you like. Folks spend good money on trick paint. Looks cool but does not win any races. Same thing IMO :beer:

dd74
12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Price?

fogrider
12-28-2011, 07:40 PM
I've got 5 bikes now. each bike works fine for most rides and yet I have 5 bikes. I dont need another bike, but will I get one? and will it be a eps... only time will tell...when will they trickle it down to centuar?

When I was a grad student at the Conservatory a number of my fellow composition students would often talk about how Beethoven would "solve the problem" of ______________ (insert name of any number of musical techniques and/or context-specific compositional trajectories).

And every time I heard that phrase I made a point of saying "if you think Beethoven was 'solving problems' you'll never understand how he achieved what he did."

Likewise electronic shifting. It's not being offered to fix anything. It's here because electronic shifting is cool.

Mark McM
12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Huh? Ive seen pros in a driving rain on Di2, havent heard of anyone this happened to.

In this Lennard Zinn column in Velonews (http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/05/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/lennard-zinn-technical-faq-front-brake-thumping_176628) Wayne Stetina of Shimano America discusses a few water related failures of Di2 systems. It may not happen often, but apparantly it does happen.