PDA

View Full Version : Another winter riding thread

flydhest
12-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Given the previous threads, i thought I would contribute some of my learning. I am here in Ft. Collins, CO, where my mother-in-law lives. I keep my CSi here. It was about 20 or so earlier today when the need for exercise reared its head. There was snow on the streets of the subdivision. I thought about driving to a bike shop to get 'cross tires or to go for a run. I did the latter. Stepping out into the sunshine, I thought, "hmm, I forgot my gloves, but it is not too bad out here." 10 minutes into the run, I turned around. Everything else was warm, but my hands were dying. I got home and thought, I can see how long I have to ride on snow before getting to plowed streets. I had on a Champion Systems thermonuclear jacket (my team's winter kit) with a Patagonia capilene baselayer. Some Pearl Izumi Amfib long tights with chamois. Thick Rapha winter wool socks. Team issue Champ-Sys fleece lined shoe covers. Had a little fleece-lined, under-the-helmet skull cap. And some heavy duty gloves.

Reflections:
1) Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires, even in 25c at 85 psi are not the best snow tires, but you can easily ride a mile or so to where the roads are plowed.
2) 20 degrees and brilliant sun and blue skies is infinitely better than back in DC with 35 degrees and grey and humid.
3) Point 2) made me realize people talking about who can and can't ride through the winter need more context. Riding in 20 degrees in DC is awful. Here, I was plenty warm and could have gone for a long ride (and will tomorrow).
4) Per 3) above, humidity matters a lot in the winter just like in the summer.
5) The Rapha crap trying to do the whole "we are really cool" tone over-explaining why they produce in China is weak. I have Rapha stuff, I am not a hater, I get why people produce things in various countries (I am an economist, after all) but making such a big deal about it was a bit annoying. As a result, I want to find another thick, wool, winter sock like theirs, but made by someone else. Any suggestions?

benb
12-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Yah geez.. at 20 degrees in New England with our humidity I have to really go crazy with the clothes. At 35 I'm riding with about what you had on out there in Colorado.

I've very rarely gone out below 20.. in those temps on the road I've had to wear my light tights and then put the Amfib tights over those, and wear a fleece + Gore Tex shell as opposed to my softshell cycling jacket. I'd be wearing a pretty decent set of wool socks with booties, probably have to go to the "Lobster" gloves which suck, put on a Balaclava + a fleece hat under my helmet, etc..

I have heard a few times about really high performance gore tex stuff wicking your sweat out of the jacket and then having it freeze on the outside of the jacket.. one of those rides in the 15-20 degree range was the only time I've seen that phenomenon. (It's kind of cool) Normally if I go winter hiking I just don't seem to sweat that much.

35 is really pretty comfy though.. This week on Monday I went mountain biking when it was 35, and then yesterday when it was 50, and I actually preferred 35 as traction was a lot better. I really wasn't feeling any difference in comfort from the temps.

mgm777
12-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Welcome to CO. Be careful on your ride. Lots of snow and ice still on the roads. As for wool socks, I like Swiftwick (www.swiftwick.com). They make a really nice, sufficiently thick, wool version.

bismo37
12-24-2011, 12:10 AM
I use Smartwool hiking socks (medium thickness). They work very well. I got them from REI.

Hank Scorpio
12-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Defeet Woolie boolie or the thick version Smartwool phd.

CNY rider
12-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Boure has awesome winter socks and you can't beat the price.

oldpotatoe
12-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Given the previous threads, i thought I would contribute some of my learning. I am here in Ft. Collins, CO, where my mother-in-law lives. I keep my CSi here. It was about 20 or so earlier today when the need for exercise reared its head. There was snow on the streets of the subdivision. I thought about driving to a bike shop to get 'cross tires or to go for a run. I did the latter. Stepping out into the sunshine, I thought, "hmm, I forgot my gloves, but it is not too bad out here." 10 minutes into the run, I turned around. Everything else was warm, but my hands were dying. I got home and thought, I can see how long I have to ride on snow before getting to plowed streets. I had on a Champion Systems thermonuclear jacket (my team's winter kit) with a Patagonia capilene baselayer. Some Pearl Izumi Amfib long tights with chamois. Thick Rapha winter wool socks. Team issue Champ-Sys fleece lined shoe covers. Had a little fleece-lined, under-the-helmet skull cap. And some heavy duty gloves.

Reflections:
1) Continental Grand Prix 4 Season tires, even in 25c at 85 psi are not the best snow tires, but you can easily ride a mile or so to where the roads are plowed.
2) 20 degrees and brilliant sun and blue skies is infinitely better than back in DC with 35 degrees and grey and humid.
3) Point 2) made me realize people talking about who can and can't ride through the winter need more context. Riding in 20 degrees in DC is awful. Here, I was plenty warm and could have gone for a long ride (and will tomorrow).
4) Per 3) above, humidity matters a lot in the winter just like in the summer.
5) The Rapha crap trying to do the whole "we are really cool" tone over-explaining why they produce in China is weak. I have Rapha stuff, I am not a hater, I get why people produce things in various countries (I am an economist, after all) but making such a big deal about it was a bit annoying. As a result, I want to find another thick, wool, winter sock like theirs, but made by someone else. Any suggestions?

So, what is this thing you mentioned, 'Plowing', foreign term here south of you, 'plowing', what exactly is that?

JLP
12-24-2011, 11:25 AM
So, what is this thing you mentioned, 'Plowing', foreign term here south of you, 'plowing', what exactly is that?

I think this has something to do with getting the crops ready for next year, but I'm struggling to make the connection to warm socks.

gdw
12-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Plowing is what they do after my politically connected neighbor whines repeatedly to his friends. It requires one major piece of construction equipment to remove the snow and 4 inches of underlying ice, 2-3 dump trucks to haul it away, and two pick-ups to bring in the twits supervising the complex operation. The end result is easier access to Baseline for said neighbor and a block full of dissappointed kids whose 200 yard sled run down the middle of the street was destroyed.

Ralph
12-24-2011, 12:33 PM
I loooove Ft Collins. Been there several times on vacation. Summer though.

It's sorta like Boulder was 30 years ago.

93legendti
12-24-2011, 12:41 PM
DeFeet and Smartwool make wonderful socks for winter riding. Thy come in varying thicknesses to suit your needs.

PJN
12-24-2011, 12:48 PM
\
It's sorta like Boulder was 30 years ago.

Not really. I've lived in both. The SPRAWL in Fort Collins is out of control. Population is nearly 150,000. Boulder is still checking in at 90,000 with a limited foot print. South Fort Collins runs into Loveland these days. More ****ty mini-malls than you can shake a stick at.

Both are (still) great places to live and ride. I would choose Boulder (or Louisville) over Fort Collins in a heart beat though.

djg
12-24-2011, 07:17 PM

You know, lots of really good economists are made right here in the US of A.

Are we talking about thick woolen socks to go over the top of the shoe? Woolrich might be worth a look, although I think they might have moved some of their production from New England to . . . wherever. I dunno. Cramming a really thick sock into a normal-sized bike shoe is likely to restrict circulation, which is not good for keeping the toes warm. For not so thick, I like the smartwool ski socks.

flydhest
12-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Christmas Eve and Christmas Day ride.

skreaminquadz
12-25-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm also from DC and spending Christmas in Durango, Colorado. We have a ton of snow here too and took the MTB out yesterday to do some trail riding. Great fun but you gotta love to fall..... a lot!

Jawn P
12-25-2011, 09:22 PM
As a result, I want to find another thick, wool, winter sock like theirs, but made by someone else. Any suggestions?

http://darntough.com/ or http://fitssock.com/ is the ticket.

jonnyBgood
12-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I agree that Swiftwick socks are pretty nice.

They have super thin summer to super thick winter socks. I think I have about six pair. I have a pair of there compression socks as well and really like them.

A little on the pricey side but well worth it.

neiltron
12-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I'll recommend Darn Tough socks - they're great and made in Vermont.

majorpat
12-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Another plug for Darn Tough, we get them issued to us by Uncle Sam and they are the real deal straight from Northfield, VT (where I went to college, by the way).

Pat

gdw
12-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Another vote for Darn Tough. They still know how to make great socks in New England.

flydhest
12-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Additional winter riding thoughts. I want to re-emphasize the difference in riding here in Colorado versus back home. Went late today, around 1:00 pm and it had warmed up to the upper 30s. Still clear skies and sunshine (although part of me wonders if Coloradoans thought it was cloudy). Halfway to the one and only climb of the day I had to take off the fleece-lined skull cap. Too warm. Maybe it got above 40. After climbing up to Horsetooth Reservoir, with the jacket zipped open. I took off the gloves. Too warm. Rode the second half of the ride without gloves.

Geez. 40 degrees back home and I am going to be cold regardless.

I am jealous and my wife may be getting all the time back here in Colorado with her family she wants.