PDA

View Full Version : Cavendish wins Sports Personality of the Year

William
12-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Cavendish wins Sports Personality of the Year

"Mark Cavendish won the 2011 Sports Personality of the Year award following his brilliant performance in the Tour de France, on which he won five stages.

Cavendish, 26, was crowned best sprinter in the Tour with HTC-Highroad then became the first cyclist in 30 years to claim the green jersey-world championship double after winning the road race in Copenhagen.

The Manxman has won 20 Tour de France stages in four years and his victory in Denmark ended a period of 46 years without a British winner of the worlds road race...."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23122011/58/cavendish-wins-sports-personality-year.html

W.

ahumblecycler
12-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Good for him! :beer:

rustychain
12-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Kind of ironic IMO.

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Kind of ironic IMO.

. . . of "personalities" and not all of them are good!

BBD

jpw
12-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Winning the green jersey and the WRC in the same year is a major and rare achievement.

rice rocket
12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
WRC?

World Rally Championship?

witcombusa
12-23-2011, 09:54 AM
WRC?

Yeah!

rice rocket
12-23-2011, 10:01 AM
He drives rally cars? I'm confused now.

jpw
12-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Yeah!

I thought it was common knowledge that in the off season he's in Scandinavia teaching management how to drive the support cars with attitude. Johnny and Juan are taking lessons.

Nooch
12-23-2011, 10:10 AM
WRC?

World Road Championship...

or maybe WRRC - World Road Race Championships :banana:

rice rocket
12-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Ohhhhh, gotcha!

JD Smith
12-23-2011, 12:22 PM
. . . of "personalities" and not all of them are good!

BBD

Looks like they the change from "sportsman" to "sports personality" just in time.

Fivethumbs
12-23-2011, 12:55 PM
I voted for him....for Tool of the Year.

corky
12-23-2011, 02:28 PM
charming....

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2011, 06:16 PM
I voted for him....for Tool of the Year.

What he would say to us if he saw this thread! :D

BBD

oldpotatoe
12-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Cavendish wins Sports Personality of the Year

"Mark Cavendish won the 2011 Sports Personality of the Year award following his brilliant performance in the Tour de France, on which he won five stages.

Cavendish, 26, was crowned best sprinter in the Tour with HTC-Highroad then became the first cyclist in 30 years to claim the green jersey-world championship double after winning the road race in Copenhagen.

The Manxman has won 20 Tour de France stages in four years and his victory in Denmark ended a period of 46 years without a British winner of the worlds road race...."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/23122011/58/cavendish-wins-sports-personality-year.html

W.

Sprinters are characters, unique.

Cav is a shorter, English version of Cipo. Good on him, makes the sport interesting.

Fivethumbs
12-23-2011, 08:05 PM
My feeling is that the only thing Cav and Cipo have in common is that they were/are tremendous sprinting talents. That's where it ends. Cipo exuded style. Cav exudes classlessness.

benitosan1972
12-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Cavendish is super broh... I don't like him

http://assets.scumbagsteve.com/hashed_silo_content/cdd/adf/309/resized/hater-brah-1fbed2.jpg

learlove
12-23-2011, 11:35 PM
did he cry?

rwsaunders
12-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Tough sport and a tough dude.

54ny77
12-24-2011, 08:45 AM
who cares what he won on the bike. have you seen the photos of his girlfriend/wife? holy smokes. google that image, but here's the all-important disclaimer: THOSE IMAGES DEFINITELY NOT SAFE FOR WORK OR FOR THOSE WITH PRUDISH TENDENCIES. :banana:

blood.meridian
12-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Sports personality of the year? The guy withdraws from most races he enters. Has trouble coming in within time cut offs. So what you can blow your load faster then the rest of the peleton (once you've spent all your team mates drafting you to the finish line). What a joke.

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2011, 03:18 PM
My feeling is that the only thing Cav and Cipo have in common is that they were/are tremendous sprinting talents. That's where it ends. Cipo exuded style. Cav exudes classlessness.

. . . that awards like this are so totally subjective. Colorful or interesting personality doesn't necessarily translate to mature or classy personality.

I also try to keep in mind that most of my memories of how classy or colorful Cipo was were toward the end of his career, when he had gotten into his 30's. Cav is still in his mid 20's. Yes, he has done some embarrassing stuff, but he has also done some classy stuff--for instance always giving very public credit to the guys who did get him to the finishing strait close to the front so he could do his thing.

Lastly, I'm sure most of us who are beyond mid 30's can remember doing our share of stuff in our mid 20's and before that now makes us cringe and hope that nobody ever remembers us doing them. :D

BBD

Fivethumbs
12-25-2011, 12:40 AM
I call em like I see em.

gemship
12-25-2011, 05:52 AM
"Great achievement Cavendish! I've watched TDF live and on Television. You are awsome and fully deserve the BBC award. Unfortunately amongst certain types of people,cycling is something only odd anorak type people take part in - a bit like admitting at a posh dinner party or a board room lunch that you are a Morris Dancer! I once worked in an organisation where you were snubbed if you didn't like Golf! Even my barber has started to talk about Cycling - at last I don't have to pretend I like football! Great stuff Cav! 2012 will certainly see me waving you on from some mountain roadside in France - I might even dress up as a Morris dancer as well!"

- this is a comment I read following the OP's linked report. Congrats to Cavendish, we all have to admit cycling is obscure especially here in America and he brought some attention this time... in a good way I think. Honestly living here in America I can think of so many other pro athletes of notoriety that deserve this title, how about Lebron or Teebow? Actually though what attention did he bring and to whom? I mean it's a stupid award reported by a obscure online cycling news publication, I don't think the sheeple will pay much attention, I for one did simply because I am interested in cycling on all sorts of levels and consume useless online info in regards to it. Honestly I don't even watch the racing :rolleyes:

corky
12-25-2011, 07:36 AM
"Great achievement Cavendish! I've watched TDF live and on Television. You are awsome and fully deserve the BBC award. Unfortunately amongst certain types of people,cycling is something only odd anorak type people take part in - a bit like admitting at a posh dinner party or a board room lunch that you are a Morris Dancer! I once worked in an organisation where you were snubbed if you didn't like Golf! Even my barber has started to talk about Cycling - at last I don't have to pretend I like football! Great stuff Cav! 2012 will certainly see me waving you on from some mountain roadside in France - I might even dress up as a Morris dancer as well!"

- this is a comment I read following the OP's linked report. Congrats to Cavendish, we all have to admit cycling is obscure especially here in America and he brought some attention this time... in a good way I think. Honestly living here in America I can think of so many other pro athletes of notoriety that deserve this title, how about Lebron or Teebow? Actually though what attention did he bring and to whom? I mean it's a stupid award reported by a obscure online cycling news publication, I don't think the sheeple will pay much attention, I for one did simply because I am interested in cycling on all sorts of levels and consume useless online info in regards to it. Honestly I don't even watch the racing :rolleyes:

Its a big award in the Uk and the significance of it is that Joe public votes for it.

This means that cycling has really loomed large in the UK public conscience this year so big up to Mark for his achievements.

PS Sports personality is a bIt of a misnomer, personality is only a partial consideration.