PDA

View Full Version : still learning how to wrench

eddief
12-22-2011, 06:57 PM
so the S-Works Roubaix has been a great bike. In the last few days, I have heard a creaking noise from the bb area. So I go at it:

1. change out pedals
2. crank down skewers
3. change out front wheel
4. change out back wheel
5. disassemble bb, bb30 delrin reducers, grease the crap out of everything
6. replace chain

Each of these done in a separate step and then a ride and then the creaking noise. Oh, by the way this is on a triple crank and I can only get the noise to happen on the middle ring.

So then I am thinking maybe it is the pressed in bearings or the C cllps behind the bearings. I ain't got no bearing removal tool.

So I take it to the LBS. Splain to the mechanic. He puts it in the stand, asks if I tried to tighten the chainring bolts? Duh-m ahh, no. He gets out the proper torx and sure enough two bolts are loosish. Duh.

Have not tried to ride it yet, but I bet he got it with the chainring bolts.

I offered him money, but it was not accepted. Yes to the LBS...this time.

And merry Xmas to all.

thendenjeck
12-22-2011, 07:01 PM
sounds stupid, but if the creak is still there check your saddle and seatpost...

and all mechanics are always learning... :beer:

eddief
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
as it happens out of the saddle.

sounds stupid, but if the creak is still there check your saddle and seatpost...

thendenjeck
12-22-2011, 07:15 PM
like I said, sounds stupid, but it happens, even out of the saddle.

Dekonick
12-22-2011, 10:20 PM
like I said, sounds stupid, but it happens, even out of the saddle.

It is a simple thing to check... so why not give ti a shot? Remove the seatpost and ride around the block...

As far as learning - we are all learning. You never stop learning unless you want to stop learning.

Ti Designs
12-23-2011, 05:32 AM

At least the good ones...

lhuerta
12-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Loctite 609 or 641 on the BB30 cups and/or bearings

cfox
12-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Loctite 609 or 641 on the BB30 cups and/or bearings
I agree with this 100%. Any non threaded BB I've ever seen will eventually creak without loctite. The low strength stuff won't seize in my experience. I hate non-threaded BBs.

eddief
12-23-2011, 05:41 PM
the ride was quiet today.