PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm posting so much this morning

oldpotatoe
12-22-2011, 02:30 PM
still snowing-geez turned sidways again...over a foot and climbing!!

beeatnik
12-22-2011, 02:33 PM
So it's going to be a White Christmas?

4Rings6Stars
12-22-2011, 02:34 PM
50 degrees in central MA today...

I usually spend my Christmas break x country skiing, snowboarding and playing pond hockey...but this year I get to ride my mountain bike!

Frankwurst
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I wish we could say that. Next week off with the hopes of cross country skiing and it looks like I'll be drinking massive quanities of beer instead. At least the bike a friend would like rebuilt might get started. Hell, probably finished if the beer holds out. :beer:

54ny77
12-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Are you buying that snow from the distributor or getting it on the side, "over-the-table," as it were? :banana:

Louis
12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Break out the Pugsley.

beeatnik
12-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Going for lunchtime ride. Should I wear a base layer or arm warmers? Decisions, decisions.

oldpotatoe
12-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Are you buying that snow from the distributor or getting it on the side, "over-the-table," as it were? :banana:

Get it 'white market'...

witcombusa
12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Peter, I'm jealous as hell that you've got a foot of snow out there! Send some my way, would ya?!

It IS the first full day of WINTER!

Happy winter solstice!!!

oldpotatoe
12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Peter, I'm jealous as hell that you've got a foot of snow out there! Send some my way, would ya?!

It IS the first full day of WINTER!

Happy winter solstice!!!

Geeezz, belongs in the mountains..hate the stuff.

jr59
12-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Hey Peter,

Look at it this way, It's the first day of the winter solstice.

From here on out, the days get longer! :D

Meanwhile, it 73 today!

Pete Serotta
12-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Hope is stays west of the Mississippi river for i will be in St Louis till the 30th to see grandchildren for the Christmas.

You all have a wonderful holiday and I wish you a joyful 2012

Pete

witcombusa
12-22-2011, 04:33 PM

How can you live in Boulder and hate snow?

It's never to late to start skiing!

skijoring
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Yeah, he could get some Campagnolo skis and bindings outtaboxes. :beer: :)

Ralph
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Got in a nice ride this AM. 70's here in Central Florida. Perfect weather. But we're used to this. Actually....kinda boring weather.

Wish I was in Boulder for Christmas. I usually stay at the Homewood Suites on Baseline and Foothills Pky. Nice location for visiting around.

Ken Robb
12-22-2011, 04:47 PM
68F in San Diego-no clouds.

jimcav
12-22-2011, 04:53 PM
then i remember mosquitoes, getting hit by a horse fly, or DC's paralysis with a dusting of snow.

then I am glad to be in san diego, which is actually a bit of a curse at the moment since i can't ride or run.

But off to swim in an outdoor pool this afternoon!
Long weekend for me where i get to sit around and do nothing (well, spend time with my boys, which is great, but they tire of me fairly fast)
Happy Holidays all

Fixed
12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Close to 80 today
Cheers

witcombusa
12-22-2011, 05:13 PM
I get that some of you like a warm climate and can ride year round.
Personally, I love the change of seasons. Four months off the bike to ski (usually). Most years I get 25ish days on the slopes.

Now if I lived in CO I would be able to ski 7 months and ride at least 10.... I'd be exhausted ;)

Louis
12-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Personally, I love the change of seasons.

I used to think that this was a reasonable choice, but having lived in St Louis for 25 years, where we have the worst of both worlds (cold, with a non-trivial number of nights with lows below 0* F, and hot, with 100*+ days and tons of 95*, high humidity day) that's a change of seasons I can live without.

benitosan1972
12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
We have seasons here, they are just mild vs your wild.

Fall: leaves turn brown, fall off, temps in the 60's-70's
Winter: AM's that leave frost on your windshield, temps 40's-50's
Spring: 1-3 months of light rain, wind, and temps in the 50's-60's
Summer: foggy mornings, no humidity, temps 70's-80's

I personally like living within the 40's-80's range without
humidity that makes your balls sweat, and wind chill that
makes your balls shrivel, haha! Living here is great weatherwise,
though I know it makes for a boring closet and toolshed :banana:

Wilkinson4
12-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Peter, I agree 100%. I am about an hour or so south of you and have had my fill of it already this year!

mIKE

mgm777
12-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Pete - Your post made me chuckle. I sent the pic below to my Dad this morning. I too wish the white stuff was in the hills. I love to ski and they really need it and don't have enough of it, yet this year.

rounder
12-22-2011, 10:13 PM
I was working in southern California last week and went to Hermosa Beach over the weekend. The local surf shop was having their annual snowboarding championships on Pier Street. These were not your average skateboard guys...they were snowboard guys from the mountains. The surfer shop brought in snow and dumped it on Pier Street and held a contest. Winner got $1,000. The contestants jumped over an old Mercedes, skated down a rail and bench and finished to score points, Meanwhile, the spectators were walking around in short sleeves and locals were out there in the water surfing. It was fun.

Ken Robb
12-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Like many San Diegans I crave Fall colors and winter snow. We can usually get our fill heading an hour east into the mountains at 4-6000 feet. My favorite day of all time would be mid-October "back east" when it's sunny 50F and the trees are red-to-gold with a crisp smell in the air. I'm so old I remember the smell of burning leaves. In my youth we raked the fallen leaves into a pile in the street and burned them. The "Greenies" would use the ashes as mulch.

I enjoyed one of those days in October 1966. I was on my way to report to the Army Reception Center at Ft. Hamilton in Brooklyn. I stopped to see a girl I had been dating who was a student at Skidmore in Saratoga Springs. We went to the park to wonder at the fountains and leaves. Days don't get any better than that and it was a fond memory through my next 10 months of Army Training when pleasant memories were things to be treasured.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2011, 07:37 AM

Most years it snows 2 or 3 times, gone in a day or 2. This year it's snowed about 8 times, Snow has been around for 6 weeks or so. More snow this year than ALL of last. Belongs above 7500 feet. Boo, whine, bitch, moan.

I have skied, don't like it, too much snow.

witcombusa
12-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Most years it snows 2 or 3 times, gone in a day or 2. This year it's snowed about 8 times, Snow has been around for 6 weeks or so. More snow this year than ALL of last. Belongs above 7500 feet. Boo, whine, bitch, moan.

I have skied, don't like it, too much snow.

Peter, it sounds like you need a snowy day(s) project...
like a Molteni Merckx replica build! :beer:

Steve K
12-23-2011, 03:30 PM
get a little vitamin D