PDA

View Full Version : Best Bike Lock?

FunkyPorcini
08-05-2005, 01:10 PM
What do you guys use when you want the best but don't want to add 50 lbs to your rolling weight?

Fixed
08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Bro, A chain with a pad lock you can wear it like a belt.how about a bike chain inside a bike tube to keep your saddle from gettin ripped?or you can buy a U-lock thang. I only leave bikes that cost about a 100 bucs out.I hope that helps oh if they want it they can get it. Cheers

Ozz
08-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I keep my bike in my office when I ride it in...other than that, it does not get left unattended.

I used to park my old bike in the garage in my building, and I had a Kryptonite U-Lock (yeah, the ones you can open with a pen cap) that I left locked to the rack in the garage.

I've considered getting a lock for my bikes when in my garage at home, but just haven't gotten around to it...would probably get the Kryptonite New York Chain lock or such...

Sorry, I guess I didn't really answer your question....

SoCalSteve
08-05-2005, 05:12 PM
I commute to work about 3 days a week. I leave my locks at work, locked around the same poles that I lock my bike to. That way you wont have to ride with them (only the first time.

Steve

PS: I have 2 locks, a big heavy one for the frame and rear tire and a second one to cover my front tire.

Beachman
08-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I had the same question and conducted a fruitless search for Ti chain or Ti cable. A good chain or cable and padlock has always worked for me. Regardless of chain or cable, I think you are limited by the diameter that the bolt cutters can fit around.

cookieguy
08-05-2005, 07:31 PM
I went with the New York Fahgettaboutdit....definately a boat anchor. I leave it around a post at work.

I'm grumpy that the security guards in my building whined about bikes in the building. I was much happier with the bike in my office.

Mumble Mumble Mumble

Dekonick
08-05-2005, 09:16 PM
hehe - no dice for me. Any bike lock at work is effectively useless considering all anyone has to do is grab out portable Jaws off the rig and the lock is toast.

I use a thin cable with a cheapie $5 lock - just to keep a casual thief away. (at work that is...)

I like commuting! Feels great when you get to work. :)

Ozz
08-06-2005, 10:15 PM
...I'm grumpy that the security guards in my building whined about bikes in the building. I was much happier with the bike in my office.

Mumble Mumble Mumble
The guard in my building tried to hassle me yesterday about bringing my bike up the "people" elevator...I just said sorry, my key card doesn't work in the freight elevator and my bike stays in my office.

He seemed a little befuddled that I ignored him....maybe my building needs more assertive rent a cops?

e-RICHIE
08-06-2005, 10:22 PM
the best bike locks comes from zabar's.
e-RICHIE©™®

dbrk
08-06-2005, 10:39 PM
the best bike locks comes from zabar's.
e-RICHIE©™®

Yikes. But the truth is that lox, as in the best at zabar's, are in fact related to locks, in a certain odd way. Anyone care?

It goes like this. Lox is an old Indo-European word with cognates in several languages, including Sanskrit, where the term "laksha" or "raksha" means something that protects or guards. A "lakh" of rupees means 100,000 just as shell-lac in English means the familiar lacquer (you see there it is again...) that protects, as in what you put over cotton bar tape if you are crazy old French randonnee. The term "lac" as in shell-lac, twig-lac, and other sorts of protectants is used in the epic Mahabharata (circa 400BCE-400CE) in the famous story of the heroic Pandavas narrowly escaping death by arson in a house of lac at the hands of their villianous cousins.
So the notion of a protectant "substance" refers both to protection in large numbers, like a lakh of lox swimming up stream who are protected by their sheer proliferation, and the oozing tree resin that is gathered variously (after its having been infused by a beetle's peculiar bite). In another instance we find that on Rakhi Day, the full moon of the month of August (usually), Hindu sisters tie a "rakhi", a little decorative thread on wrists of their brothers who are their natural protectors as they pray for happy marriages. In either case, "lox," "lakh," "rakhi," and dare I say "lock" all find a deeper common origin since they are cognate rather than borrowed terms meaning that they all must refer to a common origin in Indo-European. Had enough? Try Zabars, tomorrow is Sunday, I'll bring the bagels.

dbrk

shoe
08-07-2005, 08:30 AM
if you can leave your locks say at work if it is for commuting...than use two different style locks. like a u and a chain. that way a thief will need double the tools for thievin