PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 10 Speed Chain Options

modernfuturist
12-20-2011, 03:36 PM
I've previously used 10 speed chains on my road bikes, but they've always been installed at the shop.

I was planning on using a 10 speed Centaur chain on my rando bike setup but I just realized I don't want to be out and about on a 600k and have my chain pop on me and have to lug around a bulky $100 Campy chain tool to fix it.

What are your favorite options for chains for a Campy drivetrain? Has anyone had luck with the Wipperman Connex chains/links, or have any other suggestions?

irideti
12-20-2011, 03:40 PM
I always run DA or Ultegra chain on my Campy 10s bike. No problem whatsosever. I actually think Shimano chains run quieter, especially the old DA 7800.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I've previously used 10 speed chains on my road bikes, but they've always been installed at the shop.

I was planning on using a 10 speed Centaur chain on my rando bike setup but I just realized I don't want to be out and about on a 600k and have my chain pop on me and have to lug around a bulky $100 Campy chain tool to fix it.

What are your favorite options for chains for a Campy drivetrain? Has anyone had luck with the Wipperman Connex chains/links, or have any other suggestions?

Sell many Campagnolo, shimano, KMC 10s chains. I have sold probably 500+ WippermanConnex 10s links w/o any issues or problems. Have used them on shimano and Campagnolo chains.

Take a couple of Connex links and a chaintool and bob's yer uncle.

saab2000
12-20-2011, 03:47 PM
I use Campagnolo 10-speed chains and have for years. I've never had a problem.

CunegoFan
12-20-2011, 04:34 PM
KMC DX10SC/SL. I like them because they run well and they come with a quick link. When I use Campy I have to buy the link on top of buying the chain.

The Campy chains are the most durable, so maybe in the long run they are cheaper.

chismog
12-20-2011, 04:48 PM
+1 KMC. They're cheap and quiet, come with the link. I put them on all my (Campy and Shimano) bikes now. Seem to have pretty good durability, but then again they're only $25.

krhea
12-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I use KMCs exclusively and have never had a problem, either with their top of the line chain nor their mid-range. Good value and I like the quick-link.

KRhea

Ralph
12-20-2011, 05:46 PM
RE chain tool. You can break apart a Campy 10's chain (or any chain I've used) with the relativly cheap Park mini....if you break a link on a ride....and have to remove the rest of link. Then rejoin using park tool. No need for expensive chain tool. Also, as suggested, it's a good idea to use an easily removavle link for periodic disassembly and cleaning. BTW....I think the only time I ever broke a chain on a ride was on a Mountain Bike ride.

Also....if you buy a chain and size it to your bike, you can do that with cheap Park or similar tool. I would suggest making chain as long as possible on little to little first. Then if too long, or too slack, you can remove another couple links with chain tool. That's better than sizing it big to big, getting it on the tight side, then wishing you had 2 more links.

AngryScientist
12-20-2011, 05:48 PM
campy chain, wipperman link. done.

ultraman6970
12-20-2011, 06:02 PM
KMC chains are the bomb.

tannhauser
12-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Did someone mention KMC?

Buy a lot, rotate often.

Gold.

binouye
12-20-2011, 08:57 PM
+1 for KMC 10 speed chains.
Now I use the KMC 11 speed connector with a Campy 11 speed chain.

JLP
12-20-2011, 10:13 PM
KMC and the extra quick link on my brevet bikes.

rockdude
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Sell many Campagnolo, shimano, KMC 10s chains. I have sold probably 500+ WippermanConnex 10s links w/o any issues or problems. Have used them on shimano and Campagnolo chains.

Take a couple of Connex links and a chaintool and bob's yer uncle.

I guess I should have brought my broken Connex back to you. I have broken a handful of them. I maybe get 6-10 months out of them. I guess they don't like the demands of CX. I use KMC masterlinks now, they are not any more durable just cheater.

sjpitts
12-21-2011, 12:49 PM
For those of you using 10 speed KMC chains on Campy-- which one do you use? There are several 10 speed chains made by KMC. I would be looking for the "sweet spot" of good performance and longevity without paying top dollar for the latest and greatest.

I did some searching on this, and the DX10SC was recommend by several people and appears to be pretty cheap ( 30 bucks).

There is also a X10SL that is more like 55 bucks, and maybe a DX10SL that is about the same. I am not sure what the differences are between those two.

ultraman6970
12-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Any kmc 10 speed will work fine with campagnolo or shimano/sram.

The differences between the expensive ones and the cheappo ones are special coatings, color coating added and extra holes between the links to make the chain lighter, besides that pretty much is the same stuff.

The only thing i advice is not to wash the chain, just put it as it is, wipe it when dirty and add some new oil and thats it.

The last one last me longer than a C10 i had before.

Dave
12-21-2011, 05:43 PM
When I did a chain wear test, the cheap DX10SC outperformed a Shimano DA7800 chain, but not by a lot. Expect .5% elongation in 3500-4,000 miles, if well maintained.

Don't know if the more expensive model wear any better.

FWIW, those using connex links with Campy chains should know that they are a sloppy fit (excess seide clearance). At least KMC makes a link for the Campy chain, but there links have a sloppy fit too. Ideal side clearance is in the .004-.008 inch range. You'll probably find most master links to have .012 when knew and that's the kind of side clearance that a really worn out chain has.

R2D2
12-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I've been using the Wipperman Stainless steel chain for a while.Works great for Rando and rain.

Nelson99
12-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Ive used KMC, Wipperman, and various flavors of Campy, and have settled on Campy Centaur 10sp chains (~$55) with Forster Super Links. Forster does a good job with their links and makes several models for specific link widths.
:beer:

Louis
12-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Buy a lot, rotate often.

Do you meant rotate the cassette and or the chain? You're a better man than I.

I replace the chain when it's old, but just keep running the same cassette. Perhaps not the most optimal solution, but time-efficient for me.

Dave
12-22-2011, 07:12 AM
There is no need to replace a cassette unless chain skip occurs when a new chain is installed. A cassette that only has one cog with minor skipping could get additional use. Any chain that has even a few hundred miles of use on it won't skip like a new chain.

Tossing chains frequently is often recommended, but at some point, it's not cost effective. You can toss far more dollars worth of chain than you'll save with additional cassette life. If you want to get the most bang for the buck, alternate the use is 3-4 chains on a single cassette. You'll never get new-chain skip and each chain can be used longer. Just don't let any of the new chains get more than half worn before changing to another new chain. If you get the last chain into use without skip, you'll never get any. Just try to keep the wear on each chain at a similar amount.

oldpotatoe
12-22-2011, 07:23 AM
I guess I should have brought my broken Connex back to you. I have broken a handful of them. I maybe get 6-10 months out of them. I guess they don't like the demands of CX. I use KMC masterlinks now, they are not any more durable just cheater.

yep, you didn't mention that last night when ya got yer wheel. I'd like to see them and maybe send them to the guys in Ft Collins, where their office is.

christian
12-22-2011, 07:51 AM
I use a KMC DX10SC for 10 speed Campy. I've been very happy with it.