PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestions/Advice: Replacing F1 Carbon Fork

krazygl00
12-19-2011, 02:33 PM
The Bad News: I'm having my 1999 C3S (Atlanta) powdercoated. Unfortunately, the powdercoater's assistant accidentally put the F1 carbon fork that was original to the bike, into a chemical stripper bath, and now he fears the integrity of the resin could be compromised, so he is going to replace the fork.

The Good News: I get a new fork! And the powdercoater is going to pay for it. And actually, this could be good. I really liked that fork, but there were some things about it that I didn't. Namely, the lack of clearance for any tire larger than 25cm. This is a travel bike (with S&S BTCs installed), and I've taken it to South America before, and it could be REALLY nice to be able to use larger touring tires like 28c or maybe even bigger, for a couple of reasons. First, the roads I've been on can get really dicey and second, if I had to replace a tire and the only thing available was larger than 25cm I'd be screwed.

Finding an adequate replacement that has all of the qualities of that old F1 fork, with the clearance for larger tires, at a sane price, is proving to be difficult. Serotta lists their F3 carbon fork at $795. I don't think the powdercoater is going to pay that much, and besides that's not quite an even trade. I've checked ebay with no luck; plenty of steel forks, no old F1 carbon forks.

Any suggestions on which fork?

godfrey1112000
12-19-2011, 03:12 PM
got mine in '08 but still good

Easton EC90 SL Fork 2012

Engineered for a slightly stiffer ride with added layers of Easton CNT composite carbon material. Featuring all the patented EC90 features including continuous CNT fibers, in 2 steer sizes and 2 blade profiles, to upgrade virtually any road frame.

Super light at just 349 grams. Available in 1 1/8” steerer tube diameter.

Specs: •Finish: UD Carbon
•Claimed Weight:349gr
•Length: 700c
•Rake:43mm
•Material: Carbon

THREAD TECHNOLOGY (ITT)
Defined: Carbon steer tubes with a layer of high strength epoxy-infused internal threads, eliminate the need for heavy, clumsy internal expander plugs that can slip or damage steer tubes. ITT threads are capable of withstanding 2500 ft/lbs without pulling out.

Advantage: Lighter, stiffer, stronger fork/steer tube system, and easier headset setup and adjustment. Found on: Easton EC90 level forks with carbon steer tubes.

oldpotatoe
12-19-2011, 03:28 PM
The Bad News: I'm having my 1999 C3S (Atlanta) powdercoated. Unfortunately, the powdercoater's assistant accidentally put the F1 carbon fork that was original to the bike, into a chemical stripper bath, and now he fears the integrity of the resin could be compromised, so he is going to replace the fork.

The Good News: I get a new fork! And the powdercoater is going to pay for it. And actually, this could be good. I really liked that fork, but there were some things about it that I didn't. Namely, the lack of clearance for any tire larger than 25cm. This is a travel bike (with S&S BTCs installed), and I've taken it to South America before, and it could be REALLY nice to be able to use larger touring tires like 28c or maybe even bigger, for a couple of reasons. First, the roads I've been on can get really dicey and second, if I had to replace a tire and the only thing available was larger than 25cm I'd be screwed.

Finding an adequate replacement that has all of the qualities of that old F1 fork, with the clearance for larger tires, at a sane price, is proving to be difficult. Serotta lists their F3 carbon fork at $795. I don't think the powdercoater is going to pay that much, and besides that's not quite an even trade. I've checked ebay with no luck; plenty of steel forks, no old F1 carbon forks.

Any suggestions on which fork?

Custom steel fork. Great ride, more clearance, not heavy. Cheaper than the (WHAT????$795???) carbon fork.

maunahaole
12-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Eric @ Winter Bikes can probably make you a very nice steel fork. His work is top shelf.

fiamme red
12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
You can order a custom steel fork, or you can get one from Waterford or Torelli (of the two, I'd prefer Waterford):

http://waterfordbikes.com/w/bikes/waterford-built-forks

http://www.torelli.com/parts/steel-forks/torelli-strada-fork.html

eddief
12-19-2011, 04:03 PM
i saw one of these up close and, at least, it looked damn good. price too. he has em in straight and curved blade and they take med. reach brakes:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/carbonomas.htm

too bad the website photos don't do them justice.

krazygl00
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
got mine in '08 but still good

Easton EC90 SL Fork 2012

Engineered for a slightly stiffer ride with added layers of Easton CNT composite carbon material. Featuring all the patented EC90 features including continuous CNT fibers, in 2 steer sizes and 2 blade profiles, to upgrade virtually any road frame.

Super light at just 349 grams. Available in 1 1/8” steerer tube diameter.

Specs: •Finish: UD Carbon
•Claimed Weight:349gr
•Length: 700c
•Rake:43mm
•Material: Carbon

THREAD TECHNOLOGY (ITT)
Defined: Carbon steer tubes with a layer of high strength epoxy-infused internal threads, eliminate the need for heavy, clumsy internal expander plugs that can slip or damage steer tubes. ITT threads are capable of withstanding 2500 ft/lbs without pulling out.

Advantage: Lighter, stiffer, stronger fork/steer tube system, and easier headset setup and adjustment. Found on: Easton EC90 level forks with carbon steer tubes.

I should note I have to stick to 1" steer tubes. I noticed this fork is described as being available "in 2 steer sizes", but then it says "Available in 1 1/8” steerer tube diameter". Where is this description from?

Also, regarding carbon steer tubes...I think Easton does not list a weight limit for these forks...do you think they really are safe for larger riders?

Been looking at the Waterford and Winter forks...they all look very nice.

This raises another question...should I convert to threadless steerer? This would mean converting 2 bikes, as I share component groups with this bike and another.

dave thompson
12-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Or you can look at the Serotta S3 fork. I've using one and it has plenty of clearance for a 30MM tire.

bwest
12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
If you like a wider/lugged crown, there is the woundup option (1" threaded or threadless). I think they look better in person than pics. And I have one on my bike too (w/ 28mm tires & plenty of clearance for more).

Kontact
12-20-2011, 09:17 AM
The only real 1" threadless brand name carbon options are Woundup, Winwood, Serotta and Ritchey Comp. Everything else is either el-cheapo (Kinesis made Nashbar), discontinued or steel.

If the S3 now has the clearance, that's where I'd go. Then Wound Up.

atanz
12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
I have a 1" EC90 SL fork (can be found on eBay) on my Spectrum. although I wouldn't recommend it as it barely clears 23mm tires. I'm actually having a custom steel fork made by a local builder to clear larger tires and hold a front rack.

Ahneida Ride
12-20-2011, 09:42 AM
I replaced my F1 with an F3.

A Serotta F3 or S3 is a great choice.

christian
12-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Problem with the Riv fork is that it is 365mm axle to crown. I know Grant says that's to allow you to run a fatter tire and bring the axle up, but that's too different from an Alpha Q (372mm) or a Mizuno (375mm) for my tastes.

If the Riv fork were 372mm axle to crown, I would have one on my bike.

rugbysecondrow
12-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I like the Serotta S3 or have a Steel one made to your liking.

eddief
12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
those measurement differences seem big, but when i hold the mm tape measure in my hand, those 6 or 7 mm look so relatively small. a man has to do what a man has to do.

Problem with the Riv fork is that it is 365mm axle to crown. I know Grant says that's to allow you to run a fatter tire and bring the axle up, but that's too different from an Alpha Q (372mm) or a Mizuno (375mm) for my tastes.

If the Riv fork were 372mm axle to crown, I would have one on my bike.

Kontact
12-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Nothing wrong with a steel fork, but steel forks are much stiffer than carbon forks, and you will likely notice a difference unless you're riding some fat tires.

oldpotatoe
12-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Nothing wrong with a steel fork, but steel forks are much stiffer than carbon forks, and you will likely notice a difference unless you're riding some fat tires.

Well, as the saying goes, "a carbon fork will make a nice road feel better and a worse road feel worse."

I wouldn't say a nice traditional steel fork with a flat or semi sloping fork crown, normal sized legs to be 'much stiffer than a carbon fork'. Some of the not light, big legged, carbon forks are pretty stiff.

Maybe a big leg, unicrown, made for a disc brake......

Fixed
12-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Listen to oldpatatoe
Cheers

Mtmooradian
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd go with the s3 over the f3 of your going Serotta, the only difference is the Ti dropouts and it's like a $200 jump for the ti

AngryScientist
12-20-2011, 01:05 PM
i just started using this S2, on an otherwise pretty crappy frame. this fork is luxurious. if you can source an S2, go for it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i-y93LP_Os8/TutNrXu9pJI/AAAAAAAAARA/E4oJUat6hVQ/s1600/IMG_0232.jpg

bwest
12-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Well, as the saying goes, "a carbon fork will make a nice road feel better and a worse road feel worse."

Properly selected, I would disagree. I have an Ouzo Pro (1" threadless) that I wouldn't give up compared to any steel fork I've ridden. It's the best mix of bump/vibration absorption, climbing stiffness and high speed tracking. But that's me and my bike/wheel/tire set up.

Point is, you'll like what you like.

Larry
12-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Call Dave Kirk at kirkframeworks.com
He developed the F1 and should have good advice.

Kontact
12-20-2011, 04:40 PM

I wouldn't say a nice traditional steel fork with a flat or semi sloping fork crown, normal sized legs to be 'much stiffer than a carbon fork'. Some of the not light, big legged, carbon forks are pretty stiff.

Maybe a big leg, unicrown, made for a disc brake......
Well, a carbon fork certainly could be built as stiff as a steel fork, but I don't know of any steel fork built as soft as a typical carbon fork. This test is old, but draws a pretty sharp line between the three nearly identically performing steel forks and everything else:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/rinard_forktest.html

If anyone knows of a particularly soft riding steel fork, this would be a good time to mention it. But I don't think any of the popular carbon forks that come in 1" steerers have any reputation for a hard ride.

Again, not an anti-steel thing on my part. But steel is stiff.

bwest
12-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Can your steel fork do this? (http://www.sopwamtos.com/blog/bike-tech/how-strong-is-your-fork-reynolds-composites-drop-test/)

krazygl00
12-28-2011, 10:59 PM
I think I'm narrowing in on a Waterford fork with a Henry James crown. When you combine my size with the fact that I'd like the option to run touring tires and the limitation of a 1" steerer, I think it is the best option. Plus I just don't have $800 to blow on a fork right now.

oldpotatoe
12-29-2011, 07:39 AM
I think I'm narrowing in on a Waterford fork with a Henry James crown. When you combine my size with the fact that I'd like the option to run touring tires and the limitation of a 1" steerer, I think it is the best option. Plus I just don't have $800 to blow on a fork right now.

Had that fork on a SS Waterford and nice ride. Ask for the 'Euro' or constant radius bend.