PDA

View Full Version : Hand/Toe warmer packets for winter riding?

BumbleBeeDave
12-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I tried some hand warmer packets for the first time the other day. My Specialized winter gloves actually have a small pocket on the back of each glove that I assume is for these packets. They certainly fit in there well.

I opened the packets and activated them as instructed about 20 minutes before putting them in the gloves. They got warm, I put them in there, and did my ride with outside temps about 33-34 degrees and the Specialized gloves over some Craft glove liners. I was surprised they didn't seem to work very well. My fingertips still got really cold--I mean hurts-when-they-start-to-get-warm-after-the-ride cold.

Anybody else use these? The package warns against using them right next to the skin because they get up to 150 degrees and sure enough, when I took them out of the glove pockets after the ride they were nice and toasty. but that toasty didn't seem to get to my hands while I was riding.

Any tips for using these in gloves and shoes? They seem like the perfect solution for me, especially for my hands, since hat's the only part of me that seems to get really cold on frigid rides . . .

BBD

godfrey1112000
12-19-2011, 02:17 PM
and it is raining today :D

Idris Icabod
12-19-2011, 02:23 PM
When I played soccer back in England, we used to put our hands down our shorts to keep them warm (only when the action was at the other end of the pitch). If your no handed riding skills and sufficient you may want to try that.

bironi
12-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Dave,
You may want to give the lobster gloves a try. I got some on a closeout from Nashbar a few years back at 15 bucks a pr. They have a light liner and windstop. It keeps your fingers warmer when they have company.

A few of my buddies use the chemical warmers on their feet and hands. I'd experiment a bit. They all have their personal tricks. Good luck. :beer:

oldpotatoe
12-19-2011, 02:32 PM
I tried some hand warmer packets for the first time the other day. My Specialized winter gloves actually have a small pocket on the back of each glove that I assume is for these packets. They certainly fit in there well.

I opened the packets and activated them as instructed about 20 minutes before putting them in the gloves. They got warm, I put them in there, and did my ride with outside temps about 33-34 degrees and the Specialized gloves over some Craft glove liners. I was surprised they didn't seem to work very well. My fingertips still got really cold--I mean hurts-when-they-start-to-get-warm-after-the-ride cold.

Anybody else use these? The package warns against using them right next to the skin because they get up to 150 degrees and sure enough, when I took them out of the glove pockets after the ride they were nice and toasty. but that toasty didn't seem to get to my hands while I was riding.

Any tips for using these in gloves and shoes? They seem like the perfect solution for me, especially for my hands, since hat's the only part of me that seems to get really cold on frigid rides . . .

BBD

Wool liners and wind stopper mittens. Ride at 25 degrees or so and hands stay warm. feet get cold but not hands. Mittens are the key, fingers closer together.

fiamme red
12-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Wool liners and wind stopper mittens. Ride at 25 degrees or so and hands stay warm. feet get cold but not hands. Mittens are the key, fingers closer together.Exactly what I do. Wool glove liners, Ibex mittens over them. Chemical warmers against my palm between my glove liners and mittens for long rides when it gets very cold.

My feet don't get cold because I don't wear cleated cycling shoes in the winter.

93legendti
12-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Dave,
How old are your gloves? I have some PI gloves that are over 10 years old and the wind seems to pour in thru holes I can't see...

BobbyJones
12-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I tried some hand warmer packets for the first time the other day....Anybody else use these?

I used to use them- inbetween a thin glove and an outer mitt and on my feet outside of my socks. I always found myself periodically clutching them to avoid getting cold- even pulling my thumb inside the mitt so I could make a fist

Last year moved to BarMitts and Hottronics and have been incredibly satisfied with the results.

Karin Kirk
12-19-2011, 04:39 PM
The packets can definitely go next-to-skin safely. They don't get that hot. For gloves, I just drop them in the glove, put the glove on, then wiggle around until they are in a comfortable place. For the toes, I stick them to my sock on top of the toe area. This way they don't bunch up under your toes. Works great - and it is really warm.

I think those little pockets on the gloves are silly. Makes much more sense to just put them inside your glove.

rice rocket
12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
The glove pocket idea still doesn't address the fact that your fingers are pretty isolated from the heat (and flesh doesn't really conduct heat well).

I saw these weird glove liners at REI with metal filaments woven into with the normal (synthetic) fibers. Piqued my interested, but not enough to pick them up.

I do use toe warmers though. I picked up a set from "Grabber", they seem mediocre at best. They were pretty much cold after a 3 hour ride (but maybe they weren't getting enough airflow under my shoe cover?). That said, it would've only been a 1 hour ride if I didn't have them. The HeatMax Toasti Toes have the best reviews on Amazon, I'll give those a try after I blow through these Grabber warmers.

rwsaunders
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Lobster gloves...windproof with liner. I have some Craft units that I like, but I'm sure other beands are good as well. Only drawback is that the reach can be weird when in the drops or on the hoods. Fingers stay toasty though.

CNY rider
12-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Old adage used to be that if your hands and feet are cold you need to put a hat on.

mtb_frk
12-19-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree with the lobster gloves. I have been using them for 3 or 4 years now when it is really cold. Much better than just regular gloves.

I use the grabber toe warmers also. I put them on top of my toes, I find if I put them under my feet it causes my cleats and the bottom of my shoes to ice up if I have to walk in the snow.

BumbleBeeDave
12-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I agree with the lobster gloves. I have been using them for 3 or 4 years now when it is really cold. Much better than just regular gloves.

I use the grabber toe warmers also. I put them on top of my toes, I find if I put them under my feet it causes my cleats and the bottom of my shoes to ice up if I have to walk in the snow.

I do have some PI lobster gloves and will give those a go with the liners and the packets. My mom had Reynaud syndrome and I'm beginning to think I might have it too!

BBD

SpeedyChix
12-20-2011, 07:10 AM
I do have some PI lobster gloves and will give those a go with the liners and the packets. My mom had Reynaud syndrome and I'm beginning to think I might have it too!

BBD
As one who has issues with Reynaud that has progressed over the years, here's what has worked the best for me.

I use the Seirus glove liners inside of PI lobster mitts. So iterations of the mitts had individual fingers inside of the paired finger part. Not good. The lobster mitts where your two fingers can touch are good. Plus the charcoal heater packs.

Liner gloves, have been amazed at the ability of these things to conduct heat. Keep them away from Velcro hooks though. I rarely use regular liner gloves. These have been a real help. Think Dick's Sporting Goods may carry them in some markets. Campmor has them.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47132

On the road bike on the coldest days this still may not be enough unless riding hard. Concur on keeping head covered.

For feet I use liner socks under wool socks, putting one of the charcoal toe heaters on top of my foot/toes, sticking it to the liner sock. Then pulling the wool sock over.

xjoex
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
I have very cold hands, it might have been a side effect of too much mountaineering in the past.

Regardless, I used to use big mittens for winter riding. (the combo I like is OR Endeavor Mitten (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-outdoor-research-endeavor-mitts.html) with the OR PL 400 Liner (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2010/12/review-outdoor-research-pl-400-mittens.html) ) .
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Vo-6Ea11Nuc/TSp6KeObQNI/AAAAAAAADG0/oEZvszCWPQw/s640/IMG_3264.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AVDxlGWQmRw/TPsBWx4jlcI/AAAAAAAADCk/2WALDsE--j8/s912/IMG_2635.JPG

But I picked up a pair of Bar Mitts (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/12/review-bar-mitts.html) over the summer, wow these things are great. You can wear a light glove and your hands will stay very warm even on long rides in the cold.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DMipKR4VIbw/TuT8RP5-W3I/AAAAAAAAEgo/708BGBAwJxI/s912/IMG_3625.JPG

-Joe, who spends way too much time trying to keep his hands warm....

Trirunt
12-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Has anyone had any luck with battery powered socks?

happycampyer
12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
As one who has issues with Reynaud that has progressed over the years, here's what has worked the best for me.

I use the Seirus glove liners inside of PI lobster mitts. So iterations of the mitts had individual fingers inside of the paired finger part. Not good. The lobster mitts where your two fingers can touch are good. Plus the charcoal heater packs.

Liner gloves, have been amazed at the ability of these things to conduct heat. Keep them away from Velcro hooks though. I rarely use regular liner gloves. These have been a real help. Think Dick's Sporting Goods may carry them in some markets. Campmor has them.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47132

On the road bike on the coldest days this still may not be enough unless riding hard. Concur on keeping head covered.

For feet I use liner socks under wool socks, putting one of the charcoal toe heaters on top of my foot/toes, sticking it to the liner sock. Then pulling the wool sock over.Thanks for this tip!

I've figured out pretty much everything else when it comes to keeping myself warm except for my hands (and fingers in particular). I've tried a lot of gloves, liners, lobster gloves, etc. Ski/mountaineering/ice climbing gloves work the best for warmth, but are too bulky for shifting.

Just the other day (when it was 20º out), I was thinking, "someone should design a heat-conductive liner so that the heat from a hand warmer would reach the fingers." Et voilà!

Grant McLean
12-20-2011, 07:31 PM
I put them in there, and did my ride with outside temps about 33-34 degrees and the Specialized gloves over some Craft glove liners. I was surprised they didn't seem to work very well. My fingertips still got really cold--I mean hurts-when-they-start-to-get-warm-after-the-ride cold.

Dave, sounds to me like you're just under-dressed. That isn't too cold,
i don't find it hard to keep hands and feet warm about 32 if I get the
overall balance of warmth right. Hat is essential, and wind-block tights
that keep the front of your legs warm. I think if your core isn't warm
enough, there isn't anything you're going to do to keep extremities
warm.

Conversely, I had my outerwear winter jacket on Sunday, commuting
to a pals house, and i was so overheated, i took my gloves off for
most of the 1/2 hour ride, despite it being 33-34 degrees.

witcombusa
12-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Winter cycling shoes completely take care of the feet. Toasty warm!
My hands usually sweat in lightweight full fingered gloves down to around the freezing mark. Below that I'll put on a wool cycling cap. Agree with keeping the core warm AND breathable. You are exerting yourself and if you get sweaty you will get cold!

BumbleBeeDave
12-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Dave, sounds to me like you're just under-dressed. That isn't too cold,
i don't find it hard to keep hands and feet warm about 32 if I get the
overall balance of warmth right. Hat is essential, and wind-block tights
that keep the front of your legs warm. I think if your core isn't warm
enough, there isn't anything you're going to do to keep extremities
warm.

Conversely, I had my outerwear winter jacket on Sunday, commuting
to a pals house, and i was so overheated, i took my gloves off for
most of the 1/2 hour ride, despite it being 33-34 degrees.

It's really just the hands--mainly the fingers--that start to get cold and then numb.

BBD

Dekonick
12-21-2011, 06:57 AM
I have very cold hands, it might have been a side effect of too much mountaineering in the past.

Regardless, I used to use big mittens for winter riding. (the combo I like is OR Endeavor Mitten (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-outdoor-research-endeavor-mitts.html) with the OR PL 400 Liner (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2010/12/review-outdoor-research-pl-400-mittens.html) ) .
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Vo-6Ea11Nuc/TSp6KeObQNI/AAAAAAAADG0/oEZvszCWPQw/s640/IMG_3264.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AVDxlGWQmRw/TPsBWx4jlcI/AAAAAAAADCk/2WALDsE--j8/s912/IMG_2635.JPG

But I picked up a pair of Bar Mitts (http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/12/review-bar-mitts.html) over the summer, wow these things are great. You can wear a light glove and your hands will stay very warm even on long rides in the cold.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DMipKR4VIbw/TuT8RP5-W3I/AAAAAAAAEgo/708BGBAwJxI/s912/IMG_3625.JPG

-Joe, who spends way too much time trying to keep his hands warm....

I have these (I call 'em 'brifter hoods) and love them. Look odd, but they are fantastic. Get the DA model, even if you ride campy... the only difference is they have a spot to let the DA cables exit... so you can use them for campy or shimano... where you can't use shimano with the campy model...

leooooo
12-21-2011, 07:04 AM
Everyone got different glove, liner, lobster combos dependent on their personal comfort/discomfort in cold. BUT I can safely say that those chemical warmers can go right on the skin. I'm sure the warnings are for other reasons...

William
12-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Those Bar Mits are a great idea. Pretty basic...block the wind and your gloves do their job without getting robbed of the warmth.

William

merlinmurph
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't care what packets you stuff in your gloves - if they aren't decent gloves, your hands are going to get cold.
I've got tons of old ski gloves that do the trick.
Murph

yetirich
12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
If you are going to ride outside, get the Glacier Gloves. This model is called the Perfect Glove
2mm thick neopreme, sealed/glued seams, fleece lined and curved to fit your fingers. Windproof and waterproof. Has a big velcro closure and tall cuffs.
Most kids in CO who race cyclocross have these. They will keep your hands warm and toasty even when the temps are down in the single digits.